Mumble/Voice Chat Questions

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Acarius.3052

Acarius.3052

Hello!
I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions on voice chat stuff.
1. If you download mumble do you need to download ventrilo or teamspeak too if you need to use multiple voice chats?
2. Is downloading mumble/ts3/vent free?
3. Will I need to make an account for each voice chat program?
4. What type of headset will i need to use for these programs? Reccommendations please(not too expensive ones though)
5. How much bandwidth does it require? Does bandwidth increase as more people join the voice chat server?
6. Will I have to pay for continually use of the voice chat programs?
Sorry for the tons of questions
Thank you!
Have a great day!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I can’t answer all of that except to say they are free to download, the cost is if you host a server. They are free to use but if you use up slots on a server uninvited, that’s highly rude, and if you are in a group running a server it’s nice to donate to the person paying for it.

I hate headsets, I use speakers and a desk mic.

I have no idea why you’d want to run more than one at once. That sounds chaotic. But you can have all of them up and run whichever you need at the moment.

No idea on bandwidth, I have FiOS and don’t worry about such things.

Posted by: Faedia.9613

Faedia.9613

As far as a headset goes, I highly recommend the Turtle Beach Earforce X12 for GW2. It would set you back about $50-$60, but I have one and it’s very comfortable and works well.

All the voice chat programs you mentioned are free to download and use to chat. You don’t need to make an “account,” but ideally you would stick with the same nickname every time you log in (so people know who you are!)

Melisande Storm, mesmer
Lucrezia Stone, thief
[GAF] guild, Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

1. If you download mumble do you need to download ventrilo or teamspeak too if you need to use multiple voice chats?

Yes, you need to download and install the clients you plan to use. I have both Mumble and TS3 clients installed.

2. Is downloading mumble/ts3/vent free?

Yes

3. Will I need to make an account for each voice chat program?

You will need to set-up access to specific servers for each client.
For TS, if the host servers are already set-up, then you just need the URL and password to log on.
For Mumble, each user requires a configuration file on their local PC.

4. What type of headset will i need to use for these programs? Reccommendations please(not too expensive ones though)

Just search what you can afford ..

5. How much bandwidth does it require? Does bandwidth increase as more people join the voice chat server?

The reason gamers use these types of clients is because the bandwidth usage is low. These are not Skype …
No, the servers are set-up to deal with many active channels, no need to worry about this.

6. Will I have to pay for continually use of the voice chat programs?

Depends on how many channels you need ..
There are Mumble servers available for up to 50 channels that are free to access. More than that, and you need to pay a monthly fee. I suspect there are TS servers available with a similar arrangement.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)