My Level 80 Boost Plan

My Level 80 Boost Plan

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Valdoron.7821

Valdoron.7821

The proposed plan of action consists of these steps:

1. Try out all professions using a level 80 trial boost.
2. Decide on favorite two and boost them.
3. Complete main story / map content with both.
4. Mastery XP gained during main story /content will unlock Mastery tiers.
5. Unlock gliding skill as soon as possible to help with travel time.
6. Experiment with different builds while completing said content.
7. Make use of cheap trait/spec respec costs along the way.
8. When it’s all said and done, I should have perfected my choices of profession, build, and overall skill with said professions.

Would you say this is a viable plan, and would one encounter any hiccups in said plan? It’s just, I have a level 80 Thief and Warrior, and figured since I’ve already done the story content twice, but would still like to experience other stories, I would do that since it should still give me Mastery XP. Or is that not the case?

Thanks,
-Val

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

If you already have 2 level 80 characters, there’s no harm in boosting others to level 80 instantly. In fact, I personally never level my characters the traditional way anymore (since I already did it 5+ times), but rather keep a stack or two of tomes in my bank to boost my alts to skip the boring part where I cannot do anything and deal miserable DPS. There are just a few things to watch out for:

Level 80 boost gives you utterly useless stats. No matter your gamemode preference, soldier’s never used anywhere because it gives you literally nothing. Be prepared that you’ll have to throw away most of your gear from lvl 80 boost and instead gear your charater in another way. You can look up builds at metabattle or qtfy website (they have raid builds, but they all work extremely well in any type of PvE).

Heart of Thorns story and open-world are generally considered to be harder than core tyria (base game). As the game evolved, players became bored of old, easy content and called for more challenge. Therefore you should master the basics of the game before you move onto the expansion content. It’s not hard, but if you try to rush ahead, you might run into trouble.

Do not think that finishing the story or maps alone will mean you have “mastered” your profession. There is still instanced content like dungeons/fractals, which require much more effort and in-depth knowledge (assuming you want to contribute meaningfully and not just get carried through) and then there’s raids, which have been called “the ultimate challenging group content” by the devs.
The journey to become a good, experienced player, is a long and difficult one, but I would agree your plan sounds like a decent start.

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you’ve not yet begun the Heart of Thorns story, you’ll not gain any XP doing the Main Story, and definitely won’t work toward Gliding.

Core Tyria content only gives XP towards Core Tyria Masteries. Heart of Thorns expansion content (expansion story/maps and LS3 storymaps) gives XP toward HoT and LS3 Masteries.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘cheap Trait respecs’, as, at L80, all core Specializations are unlocked/filled. Elite Specializations are unlocked with HoT, and Hero Points, once spent, can’t be reset.

Good luck.

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Valdoron.7821

Right, ok so no respec necessary, just unlocking skills, then switching whichever when you need to. I have played other MMOs while I’ve been away, each of which handle skills differently, I apologize.

So, I guess what this boils down to is this. If I boost to 80 permanently and then chose to go back and do my main story on that toon, would I still be earning enough CORE mastery XP to make it a worth while endeavor, or am I going to feel like I’m wasting my time, thus “cheapening” the experience? I don’t mind leveling up the normal way on these alts, but I will admit, it would be kind of nice to have all the specs unlocked and then be able to experiment with different setups as I go through the story/map content. And thanks for the feedback, it’s greatly appreciated.

-Val

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Valdoron.7821

I understand now that this would be central / core mastery XP vs. HoT mastery, but would I still be unlocking core masteries doing the main story content?

Also, doesn’t this whole mastery system force players into doing certain activities that they do not want to do? For example, if one abhors any sort of crafting whatsoever, one would then forfeit gaining said mastery points and permanently lose out of unlocking certain tiers, or is there always another way to gain the points? Sorry to be such a noob.

As a side question, what is the best way / source for getting caught up on the events of Living World, if you were unfortunate enough to miss LS1 and LS2?

And thanks for the feedback, it’s greatly appreciated.

-Val

(edited by Valdoron.7821)

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Valdoron.7821

Nevermind, I appreciate the help, but it looks like according to this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery you can unlock the central Tyria mastery tracks by completing Torn From the Sky, the second portion of the HoT storyline, and then earn Mastery points by completing any achievements in the game, so basically this nullifies my plan, since there is zero reason to do the main story content after boosting to 80, besides just wanting to experience it. In fact, now that we can boost any character to 80, there is zero reason for anyone to complete it, other than the pure experience of it. We can also use the trial stage to try out any profession, so there isn’t even a reason to do the main story to try a new profession either. I guess I’ll just pretend they don’t exist, or maybe I just go with the boost, and do the story for experience only and just have the mindset that it’s all for learning / experimental reasons. shrugs

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Personal Story (first time through) offers 8 Mastery Points that can be used to unlock Core Mastery Tiers. It’s one of the easier ways to attain Core Mastery Points. (Note: not any Achievement offers Mastery Points; only certain Achievements do.)

You can use the Wiki or your Hero Panel to learn how and where to attain Mastery Points in Core Tyria, Heart of Thorns, and (soon) the upcoming Path of Fire.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

My Level 80 Boost Plan

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

If you look at the list above, you get MPs from a variety of activities. Most are quite easy, or give significant rewards, so you’d want to do them anyway… when HoT launched, veteran players got a large number of core MPs right from the beginning because we had already done a lot of the achievements despite them not giving MPs beforehand. Crafting is not needed for any of them.