My massive money saving tip for high level players.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

So at level 80, you’re likely to be spending an awful lot of time in the Orrian areas beating up giant chickens and other such nonsense, but when you want to take a break from the endless Risen forces suddenly you find that to teleport back to somewhere civilised such as Lion’s Arch, you’re facing around-about a 4 silver teleport fee.
Fear not!
Hit B to bring up the WvWvW panel, enter the mists, and when you get there, there’s an Asura gate to Lion’s Arch right behind you, completely free!
Heck you may even dip your toes in the WvWvW waters while you’re there!

Actually, I’m not just posting this as a tip, I’m posting it partly to highlight the ridiculous cost of teleporting at high level, which often prevents me from quickly joining fellow guildies elsewhere in the world, and I’m also aware that ANet might consider it something of an exploit.
Even so, while I understand the need for moneysinks, I think the fees at level 80 are punitive. Over 1 silver just to teleport to a waypoint less than 100 metres away?
Come on ANet, are you sure there’s not a broken algorithm at work here?

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Sal.4672

Sal.4672

Lol, I have to admit, I also use the entry to the Mists to save that 1s and just use gates from LA.

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

Im too lazy to do that lol

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

As you level up the prices for teleporting to waypoints are excessive. I don’t see the logic of paying more for the same distance at higher level anyways. It’s a blatant money sink that I find unnecessary as it is.

Now your little trick here seems like a great way to avoid those costs, but I have one question for you in that respect. Is this a good trick or an exploit?

I hesitate to use this, because I don’t want to get banned for using an exploit if you will.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

For people who are in WvWvW queue servers (like me), the more effective way to do this is by doing it through the sPvP heart of the mists, which always loads, unlike the WvWvW area.

It’s not an exploit — it’s very commonly done and has been since release, and is well known. It doesn’t save all of your cost (you still need to WP back to where you want to be once you are done in LA).

Posted by: Deinonychus.1498

Deinonychus.1498

On this note, if your realm is like mine with hour long queues for WvWvW, then hit ‘H’, go down to the PvP tab, go to the mists for sPvP and there is a lion’s arch gate infront of you, also completely free =)

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

The cost of waypoints at lvl80 is ridiculous.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I think the prices for the waypoints should be a fixed cost that doesn’t scale up due to your level. The cost should increase due to distance traveled not your level.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Maze.5104

Maze.5104

Agreed! Cost based on distance just makes way more sense. I think a lot of people are not aware of this tip so thanks to the OP for sharing. Here is hoping they don’t see this as an exploit!

Rath Mazeborn- Sylvari Elementalist
Maze Rathbottom- Asura Guardian
Snugglesworth M D- Charr Engineer

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

I don’t see the logic of paying more for the same distance at higher level anyways. It’s a blatant money sink that I find unnecessary as it is.

I wholeheartedly agree! If I was so fat that I needed two airplane seats I could understand being charged for two airplane seats. If you see what I mean. There are very few blemishes in this game, even of the most minor kind. But this is one of them. And if Anet consider this an exploit, I’m well screwed… :o

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Posted by: Kaiyang.4209

Kaiyang.4209

Everytime I die, its 1 silver ++ just to get back to the waypoint. Its incredibly annoying to pay that fee just because you die. So, hope they tune down the scaling for port fees, seriously…cause I am level 66, and sitting only at about 40 silver, because of how expensive one trait book is and because of so much money being spent on teleport.

Raedwulf.3712

On that particular score, what is required is a free port to the nearest waypoint; pay if you want to go anywhere else. Again, I agree, it’s irritating to be penalised twice for being defeated (once, because you have to pay to ‘port; twice, because your armour will have been damaged, so you’ll eventually be paying for repairs).

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

I have a good idea. Make something like “passports” available to players to buy. It’ll cost a certain amount of money, depending on how many trips are included in your pass. So like, 10s for a pass with 25 uses, or something. Fixed price for x passages.

Then they can have tiers. Like 3 different tiers, one for lower level areas (1-30), one for mid-leveled (30-60) then one for higher leveled areas (60-80) Each has different prices, and each tier can be used to transport to any city.

Saves cost for travelling for players who travel often (virtually everyone).

They could even introduce unlimited monthly passes. Pay an amount and get unlimited travelling in the month.

They need SOMETHING to make it more reasonable lol.

Posted by: FireRunner.9481

FireRunner.9481

I agree the Mist is the best way to go because there is never a queue. Borderlands, for most servers I’m assuming, has a queue. Also, I agree it does not make sense the waypoints increase in cost with level. It should stay the same. But, I understand why they did this…all games need money sinks

80 Asura Ranger – Commander

Posted by: Leopard Girl.8230

Leopard Girl.8230

I hope ANet does something about the prices of waypoints :/

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

I think it is more likely that ArenaNet will prevent us from using heart of the mists to get to lion’s arch then they are to reduce the cost of waypoints. Anything to force gem for gold microtransactions. There should have been a disclaimer when purchasing the game.

“Full enjoyment of this product may not be possible without additional in-game purchases. Credit card required”

I mean just look at the last changes the last two weeks:

Lumber cost in crafting recipies increased 33%
Common cooking materials no longer purchased with karma, instead found in loot bags.
Reduced drop rates on blood, scales, bones, dust, etc.
Removed vendoring quest and karma gear.
Removed breaking down quest and karma gear.
Removed vendoring pickaxes, axes, and sickles.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

I have a good idea. Make something like “passports” available to players to buy. It’ll cost a certain amount of money, depending on how many trips are included in your pass. So like, 10s for a pass with 25 uses, or something. Fixed price for x passages.

Then they can have tiers. Like 3 different tiers, one for lower level areas (1-30), one for mid-leveled (30-60) then one for higher leveled areas (60-80) Each has different prices, and each tier can be used to transport to any city.

Saves cost for travelling for players who travel often (virtually everyone).

They could even introduce unlimited monthly passes. Pay an amount and get unlimited travelling in the month.

They need SOMETHING to make it more reasonable lol.

If something like that were introduced, it would likely be a cash shop item.

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

The waypoint cost is decent. It scales to your level, just as your gains scale. While at low-levels you may get items worth 10-30 bronze and the cost of traveling would be 40 bronze and up, at level 80 you gain items that are worth over 2 silver and waypoints cost 1 silver 39 bronze and more when traveling distances.
What bugs me is that enemies keep getting tougher, while you don’t, as well as overpowered skillpoint guardians (only those with ranged weapons). For instance, there’s this 24th level mesmer that I tried killing with my 80th level thief. I died 3 times, despite evading, interrupting and going invisible every moment I got. Then some random guy came and we killed the mesmer together, yet I still fell down and almost bled out.
At level 80 costs of armor repairs are over 10 silver for 1 damaged item and with issues like the aforementioned, it stacks up quite quickly, even quicker in WvW.

(edited by VakarisJ.5619)

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

The cost of the WP is cleary for money sink, i can make alot of money at lvl 80

I do that trick to, i never teleport do any teleport higher then 2s, only when i go to Orr

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Hope it will not become a pay to win game.
I do not want to become VERY RICH.
But, do not take away to opportunity to be JUST a DECENT citizen.

Posted by: Spoon.3826

Spoon.3826

Complete event or quest heart, get 2 silver
Travel anywhere in the world and your gains are gone

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

Its the price for convenience , deal with it or walk! ahah

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

My favorite is:

Click a waypoint on the map. Go there. Do not move when you arrive. Open your map again and look at the waypoint you are STANDING ON. At level 80 to teleport to that waypoint (you know, the one you haven’t moved from), it’s around 1 silver 50 copper.

Posted by: splatomat.9370

splatomat.9370

Yeah, waypoint rates should be fixed (not scale) and they should not cost as much as they do.

Raedwulf.3712

I could live with them being fixed by area. Cheap in relatively peaceful Queensdale; more expensive in the troubled Harathi Hinterlands; anywhere in Orr, ouch, expensive! But the scaling of expense against level rankles. Why does my L1 ’port for nothing copper, when it costs my L80 x silver for the same trip? Makes no sense at all…

Mungrul.9358

My main complaint still is however that in a game that elsewhere goes out of its way to promote playing with other players, at level 80 Waypoint costs become a very real barrier often preventing me from joining lower level guild members.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.

Posted by: Mytling.7435

Mytling.7435

I’m experiencing the same problems. I’m only lvl 57 yet, but my friends are like lvl 20-30ish. So when I want to help them I have to pay like 2-3 Silver and at Lvl 60 awaits me the next BIG thing. 2 Gs for the Grandmaster Book – ouch that’s gonna hurt, if I even can afford it at lvl 60 at all…

Posted by: Goel.9127

Goel.9127

I think “Cost proportional to distance traveled” is perfectly fair. The game is designed around using waypoints to get to locations quickly, and I definitely feel the costs add up a little too quickly for me, even at low-mid levels (currently 34).

Phenomenal game though.

80 Guardian
Founder, “Free Buff Movement” [BUFF], BG

Posted by: Mestev.2463

Mestev.2463

Ok I think some people over look one tiny detail with the way point costs that it’s both! The costs scale with your level PLUS the further you want to travel from you current location the costs also increases. So we in fact are paying two costs one for level and one for distance, which I agreed a bit much.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Everytime I die, its 1 silver ++ just to get back to the waypoint. Its incredibly annoying to pay that fee just because you die. So, hope they tune down the scaling for port fees, seriously…cause I am level 66, and sitting only at about 40 silver, because of how expensive one trait book is and because of so much money being spent on teleport.

Wait what?

I’m level 56 and I’m almost sitting on 5 gold. I think you’re doing something horribly wrong.

If you’re that low on coin you shouldn’t be using waypoints unless you die. Just run to where you want to go, you can even pick up crafting materials along the way to make some decent coin.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Oh the days when dying in a game actually incurred a real penalty…

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

I personally think that the travel (and repair costs) in this game are completely reasonable and are not a hinderance to me at all. I am not a rich player in-game but I am not broke either.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Zen.1740

Zen.1740

Better idea: Move away from silly game design, remove the gold sink completely.

If they have to add more items to the cash shop to compensate for this then fine, as long as they are along the same lines as current items.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2,
no one enjoys that, no one finds it fun.” – Colin Johanson
R.I.P. in piece, Guild Wars 2, August 2012 – September 2012

Bluestone.7106

Removing the cost completely would trivialise travel and I personally think there needs to be a deterrent of some size to encourage a certain degree of other travel (like walking) as this will result in circumstantial event particpants.

Gehenna.3625

I understand the repair costs involved but I don’t think it makes sense that you complete a task (you know the hearts on the map) and the gain of that is approximately the cost of 1 time traveling back to the capital.

The map is pretty big and it would make sense for people to not have to think about traveling to help guildies out and join ongoing events.

Also I’ve seen people dying during events when the group is all but wiped and not ress at a near waypoint to save a repair bill or being too lazy to walk back.

All I’m saying is that costs should make sense in comparison. If they need to create money sinks then a higher costs of travel based on level seems odd. Sure higher repair cost for higher level gear, I can see that. But higher travel costs because you are more experienced makes absolutely no sense, even in a fantasy setting.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

One solution would be to have one free waypoint in each area. This way the players would still need to pay or walk if they wanted to get into the areas where the action is.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

I think waypoint travel costs need to be removed or significantly reduced, they get in the way of playing the game. I won’t port to a faraway zone to help a friend out if it costs 4 silver, even in the same zone if someone asks for help with an event, being on the other side of the map means I won’t make it in time on foot.

I think it’s ridiculous, around level 70 I get less silver for doing an event than getting there costs me.

Dead is already punished by repair costs so in this case you just get punished twice which doesn’t feel good either.

Posted by: Dick Bogus.7523

Dick Bogus.7523

I think it is more likely that ArenaNet will prevent us from using heart of the mists to get to lion’s arch then they are to reduce the cost of waypoints. Anything to force gem for gold microtransactions. There should have been a disclaimer when purchasing the game.

“Full enjoyment of this product may not be possible without additional in-game purchases. Credit card required”

I mean just look at the last changes the last two weeks:

Lumber cost in crafting recipies increased 33%
Common cooking materials no longer purchased with karma, instead found in loot bags.
Reduced drop rates on blood, scales, bones, dust, etc.
Removed vendoring quest and karma gear.
Removed breaking down quest and karma gear.
Removed vendoring pickaxes, axes, and sickles.

My thoughts exactly. I’m starting to think I’d prefer a monthly charge to shady, underhanded methods of forcing real money transactions.

Posted by: Dick Bogus.7523

Dick Bogus.7523

Oh additionally, was there an official release stating the lowered drop rates for things like bloods? I can obviously tell from playing, but I didn’t actually read it anywhere.

Raedwulf.3712

One solution would be to have one free waypoint in each area. This way the players would still need to pay or walk if they wanted to get into the areas where the action is.

As I’ve already suggested, Tom, the obvious solution is to make the nearest waypoint a free ress from defeated. If you want to go anywhere else you have to pay…

Gehenna.3625

Again, Again & Again … people are just boring to hell …
Here’s a trick :

• Open you map
  • Click WP needed
  • Run around to kill 5 MOBS or so (you are 80, you can take them 5by5)

HOOOO GOD !! you are payed back …. Stop QQ now plz…

You’re Welcome =.=

Right,
I open the map
click on the waypoint I want to go to and lose 2-4 silver.
Kill 5 mobs and gain less than a silver….

Oh and level 80 isn’t where the problem starts and even a level 80 gets scaled down so attacking 5 mobs at one time is not the best advice.

How exactly am I paid back?

Posted by: Emikodesuyo.5941

Emikodesuyo.5941

This wouldn’t be such a problem if there was a way to make more money. However since the TP prices are messed up 4 silver actually is a lot of money :x

Tsukinoo – Guardian
Second Law [Scnd], Baruch Bay

Posted by: Katie Feathermoore.5031

Katie Feathermoore.5031

TP costs need to go. I hate when my friends are playing far away and I need to consider the cost to join them, or force them to wait 5-10 minutes for me to run there. GW1 was all about players having fun and enjoying the game together, and waypoint costs are ruining that in GW2.

Posted by: barbour.3062

barbour.3062

I don’t think they are ever going to “fix” this. The waypoint cost along with armor breaking are GW2’s equal of a death pen.

Bluestone.7106

The changes to crafting and craft loot acquisition was to slow down the people leveling through crafting, it was not balanced, the changes were an effort to achieve balance.

Plus no one should be coming into GW2 not aware of the gem store. And therefore can’t whinge when things can be done faster with gem store purchases.

Also most subscription games I have played have had bigger money sinks than GW2 has. My earning rate against my spending rate in GW2 is much easier to handle IMO.

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

Lol be happy I’m not a game designer, else entering WvW queue would cost 25 copper to 40 silver upfront depending on level, and all the silly crafting nodes, PvE mobs, vistas and skill points would be removed.

Queues on crowded servers are abysmal as it is, even without lazy people using WvW as "free" waypoint, "Tradepost & armour repairer on demand" or "another PvE zone to hunt mobs and collect trophies".

Thank you very much, legitimate WvW players sweating all day so YOU can enjoy server-wide benefits, will do perfectly well without you abusing WvW and making the queues even bigger than they already are.

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

wish we get a discount for going to places but to get money I have to farm and sell

Mungrul.9358

A further tip that reduces costs for going to Orr in the first place:
Once in Lion’s Arch, take the Asura gate to The Grove, then teleport to Malchor’s Leap from there. If you’ve unlocked Murmur Waypoint, it’ll cost about 1s70c.
But this raises the question, if it’s so easy to reduce costs with a couple of quick initial teleports, why is it so expensive in the first place just to go where you want to in one leap?

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Uhm, the mists lions arch gate doesn’t work anymore.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

I agree that you can always walk, you are paying for the convenience. Except when you DIE, I think it’s totally unfair that you have to pay for a WP when you die. There isn’t always someone around to rez you, and so often when there is, they just run right by. :-P

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist