My problem with Guild Wars 2

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Winthrood.2045

Winthrood.2045

Hello
I can call myself a casual player, jumping to GW2 than seeing myself getting bored after few months and getting back after another few of playing other games.
The problem is that, whenever i get back to this game I am having fun. But only for a while, than I can see myself starting to care only about gold and better gear or lege and I begin to lose interest in this game.. I really want to have fun with gw2. I’ve been playin’ it since the start, sept 2012 I think.
I love the feeling of being rewarded in games, but in my opinion in gw reward comes only with grind and doing SW or Fractals 40 on daily baisis is not what i am looking for in games. Also i can’t really get involved in guilds because of inflexibility of my free time. I just can’t play at specific hours which some guilds require.
So my question is: Is there anything I can do with it, to have some fun? Maybe MMO’s just are not for me. Is there anyway to get rewarded and get some gold for my gear without “feeling” of grind?
At present I am grinding for my ascended gear because I want to increase my dmg. I’ve got 4×80 chars, ‘ve been playing all the classes. I prefer all light armor one’s.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Repeat the mantra: “I don’t need ascended gear” until it sticks. If you can keep yourself to an exotic-only-gear mentality, then it’s gear you can afford without needing to really grind gold… you can get the gold/gear as a side effect of doing other things.

It can be really easy to fall into the grinding mentality prevalent in MMOs, and sometimes it requires just stepping back, identifying that doing X feels grindy to you, and then telling yourself you won’t grind.

Similar to you, I’m not involved with guilds and I HATE feeling like I’m grinding. So, one of the things I find really fun for me is doing large events. Whether it’s the world-boss runs (hopping from WB to WB), or partaking in large Orr/HOT meta-events… it’s getting swept up in a lot of action with people around joining in whom I don’t know. I focus on the event itself – the challenge of being overwhelmed – and let the loot/gold/gear sort itself out later.

Another approach is to do something different every time you log in; never repeat the same thing two days/log-ins in a row. One day you do some SW, then the next time you log in you avoid the SW and maybe do a WB hop… then the next time do a couple jumping puzzles… then the next time do some Personal Story quests with a toon that hasn’t finished it… then the next time a dungeon or fractal… and after a few days of variety, do SW again only if it sounds interesting/fun.

Also, it’s perfectly fine to play GW2 for a bit, then go do other stuff, then come back. Don’t beat yourself up over doing that, either.

I hope that’s been somewhat helpful for you.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Also i can’t really get involved in guilds because of inflexibility of my free time. I just can’t play at specific hours which some guilds require.

You seem to have some horrible misconception about guilds. Especially in the context of Guild Wars 2. There are plenty of guilds which do not have any sort of requirements.

So my question is: Is there anything I can do with it, to have some fun? Maybe MMO’s just are not for me. Is there anyway to get rewarded and get some gold for my gear without “feeling” of grind?
At present I am grinding for my ascended gear because I want to increase my dmg. I’ve got 4×80 chars, ‘ve been playing all the classes. I prefer all light armor one’s.

This is going to sound very cliche but you should just do the things you like doing and don’t do the other stuff. It is that simple. If there is something that you want but requires doing things that you don’t want to do then you have to weigh one against the other. Personally I have no problem with doing what ever it takes if it is get something I want or if it is to help a friend with something they are after.

MMOs are probably not for you if you are after something like a single player experience. If you are not into the social and multiplayer aspects of gaming then a MMO is going to be a bit lacking.

If you are getting ascended for the power increase then you will probably end up disappointed. I have two Berserkers. One in full ascended. The other is wearing exotics plus 3 piece of masterwork/rare amulet and accessories. I do not find the experience to be very between the two in both core and in HoT maps.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I love the feeling of being rewarded in games, but in my opinion in gw reward comes only with grind and doing SW or Fractals 40 on daily baisis is not what i am looking for in games.

Ok well not to be rude or anything but the problem seem to be you.

Silverwaste is not as good as it used to be for gold. Personnally, I went 2 times in SW and it was for token to get some sinister trinkets. I did fractal 40 farming once even for like 1 hour. If you push yourself into that, well it’s kind of on you.

Personnally, here what I do each day. I have all my character at a Iron Rich Vein. So it take me like 5-10min and I get 3.5 gold. Then I go around the maps to buy my Pact Scout’s Mapping Materials which I will sell each week 2 at Frostgorge Sound. It take again between 5 and 10 min and it will give me about 300 gold each 2 months. I obviously go do my daily ascended crafting, which right now give you 6.5 gold in profit. Then there is the daily that I do in like 15min in daily pvp map which give me 2 gold. Then I go with my friend doing the daily fractal, which give you at least 3-4 gold. All of that take me what maybe 90 min at max and I got about 20-22 gold, while slowly accumulating ascended gear for my alts. That’s enough gold for me, so after that I do pretty much whatever I want. So ya, there is ways to accumulate gold without farming the same thing hours. And if you can’t stop farming, well it’s kind of on you. There is a lot of activities that give you good reward. Verdant Brink is pretty nice these days, then you can do some dungeon, maybe a DS, do a raid, etc. I hate repeating the same activity over and over again.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD