NEW Player coming from WoW

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vinehouse.9820

Vinehouse.9820

So I was main warrior, priest, rogue, druid, and mage in WoW. Looking for similar classes on here? Warrior is easy to figure out. What is an engineer like? Necro like a lock? Any hybrid classes? Rogue = thief obviously?

Posted by: Seal.5964

Seal.5964

The first thing you should understand is that there is no “Holy Trinity” in GW2. There is no Tank/DPS/Healer trio that is required to make things work. Each and every one of those has an offensive, a defensive, and a support aspect, with a unique playstyle to it.

If you are talking about “spell flavor”, as in “who is the ice-flinging magician” and “who communes with the wild”, “who sneaks”, and so on, here:
Warrior = Warrior
Priest = a Guardian, as much as a Paladin is a Priest
Rogue = Thief
Druid = Ranger specialization
Mage = Elementalist, without access to lightning or earth spells

None of these has equivalent playstyle to those in WoW. Mesmers, Engineers, and Revenants have no flavor equivalent in WoW.

It’s a bit static in WoW. Different classes give different stat buffs and most of the “mechanics” are duplicated. Here, there are unified stat buffs – Might, Fury, Stability – and unified dots – Bleeding, Burning, Vulnerability. The whole idea is different and different professions have wholesomely different playstyles. They rely on different things to survive, as well as a huge level of personal player skill – way more than gear-centric WoW would allow you to express.

My advice? Make a Thief and see how you like the playstyle. It combines many of the aspects of GW2 gameplay and is challenging enough.

EU The Right Trolls ~JiVE~

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Firstly welcome to GW2.

Secondly, don’t expect this to be the same as WoW. There are many similarities but there are far more differences.

I played WoW from just before TBC came out and came to GW2 at launch, even having played GW before WoW it was a steep learning curve. My best suggestion is to try each class and see if you like it. Also take it slow, in WoW a lot of content is aimed at max level characters in GW2 the game starts at level 1 and leveling is a major part of it. I see a lot of threads from people who have rushed to get to level 80 and then don’t feel they have anything to do.

As far as classes go, one thing you will notice is that you have far less skill to chose from, each weapon has a set of 5 skills and once they have all opened up you don’t gain any more weapon skills. Utility skills are where the variety is, but you only have 3 of those active at any one time and one elite skill. The art is to learn when to use the skill, just because something is off cooldown, doesn’t mean you use it straight away, timing is important.

I mained both rogue and hunter in WoW. Ranger and Hunter aren’t that different although Ranger does have good melee ability, something that the Hunter lost. Thieves are similar to Rogues but there is no permanent stealth ability, again it is a matter of timing. Necro and Warlock have similarities both are good at damage over time (conditions in GW2) and both have access to minions.

There are no specific healers or tanks in this game, every one can heal to an extent, and every one can tank but maintaining threat is far harder, one of the main skills to learn is to avoid damage, most importantly learn to use your dodge ability.

My best suggestion is to try different classes, and different weapon sets and most importanly have fun.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Also be aware that the differences between WoW and GW2 go beyond classes not matching up.

For example movement is a huge part of combat in this game, for all professions. There are no dedicated healers and although every profession has a healing skill equipped at all times even the best of them aren’t enough to keep you alive if you don’t also avoid in-coming damage.

Make sure your dodge button is somewhere easy to reach at a moments notice and use it regularly. If you find yourself standing inside a red circle move or dodge out of it, if you see an enemy winding up for a big attack (this takes some practice to spot) move or dodge away from them. Be prepared to move away from where you were standing at any point in a battle, and in some battles to keep moving almost constantly.

It’s fun once you get into it, but can be a bit jarring if you’re used to, not just WoW but most older RPGs.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Louistrange.3845

Louistrange.3845

welcome! although i do not have anything to relay to you as i am not an experienced GW2 player i just wanted to give you a warm welcome to this game.

happy adventuring!

Account Created : June 6, 2013

Posted by: Vinehouse.9820

Vinehouse.9820

Thanks everyone! Good info that has helped me

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Having played my fair share of MMOs, I’d say to try not to go looking for things from other games in GW2.

That being said there will be certain professions and builds that will play to your strengths. You’re just going to have to experiment and find out what works for you.

If you’re in game and want to message me feel free to add me. I’d be glad to help you out.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

One thing that you will learn quickly about GW2 is the inability to liken the professions to any other classes in any other MMO