Necromancer for WvW

Necromancer for WvW

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Big Grizz.9831

Big Grizz.9831

Hello everyone!
I recently started a necromancer(obviously) and was curious on ideas for builds when I get him to 80 and get the elite spec. The more I read about the necro the more confused I get about whether to go Power or Condition, or a combination of both. Also trying to avoid metabattle lately. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Asking people here is going to get roughly the same answers as metabattle, FWIW.

Anyway, you should play whatever you know better and/or enjoy more, really. It doesn’t matter that much.

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: Big Grizz.9831

Big Grizz.9831

Thanks for the response! I ended up gearing up my necro with dire gear and the elite spec and….oh boy it’s fun haha. I’m thinking of trying out Carrion gear to see about getting more use out of the reaper shroud. Don’t know yet but it’s a lot of fun.

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: ShroudOfAgony.8230

ShroudOfAgony.8230

MetaBattle and IntoTheMists are two pretty nice resources when it comes to builds.

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I use carrion on my necro/reaper, and it needs a lot of work. Many people recommend viper, but I’m just now building up a second necro to find out how well it works. I primarily play PvE, so I’m not nearly as interested in WvW specs. But, one obvious problem is that many of the skills for reaper simply don’t exist in WvW, like all reaper shroud skills.

Necromancer for WvW

SlippyCheeze.5483

But, one obvious problem is that many of the skills for reaper simply don’t exist in WvW, like all reaper shroud skills.

By “simply don’t exist” I assume you actually mean “are not used”, because otherwise this is … rather wrong.

Also, at least the ice field / whirl combo for throwing around bleeds is definitely used it WvW, verifiable by looking for the complaints about how overpowered it is. Beyond that, I routinely see (and use) reaper shroud skills in WvW.

So … while you might not use them, it is not the case that they “do not exist”, or that they cannot be used effectively.

Necromancer for WvW

Daddicus.6128

But, one obvious problem is that many of the skills for reaper simply don’t exist in WvW, like all reaper shroud skills.

By “simply don’t exist” I assume you actually mean “are not used”, because otherwise this is … rather wrong.

Also, at least the ice field / whirl combo for throwing around bleeds is definitely used it WvW, verifiable by looking for the complaints about how overpowered it is. Beyond that, I routinely see (and use) reaper shroud skills in WvW.

So … while you might not use them, it is not the case that they “do not exist”, or that they cannot be used effectively.

No, I mean they don’t exist. Hit F1. The skills are not reaper skills, they’re necro skills.

On my engineer, if I equip a mace, I have no weapon skills at all.

Now, maybe I’m missing something in how to make them work, but having skills 1-5 being completely blank qualifies as “do not exist”.

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

WvW has its own saved set of traits, by default the Elite spec line isn’t slotted. Thus you Reaper is just a Necro (ergo: base shroud skills) and your Scrapper is just an Engie and can’t wield hammer. (No engie can wield mace).

Look through your specializations – you’ll want them differently from PvE anyway!

Necromancer for WvW

Daddicus.6128

Sorry, I meant hammer. Same thing, just smaller?

You may be right. I just assumed they came with.

Necromancer for WvW

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Just like the skill bar is saved separately with a default starting build (often containing racial skills, and sometimes duplicate skills for some reason) the traitsvare also saved separately with a default build.

Necromancer for WvW

Daddicus.6128

Sorry, I meant hammer. Same thing, just smaller?

You may be right. I just assumed they came with.

I tried using the reaper trait, and it worked. So, I was wrong above.

Necromancer for WvW

SlippyCheeze.5483

Glad that ended well. It’s definitely not the most … intuitive interface, for sure! At least I have another way people might talk about this problem to pattern match next time.