Need Mid Tier Mats? Make a Twink?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Many know that if you want mid tier mats you make a mid level toon to open bags and then salvage that low level gear.
Some may not know, or realize the potential, that it’s now realistic to make a twink character in wvw that will never level up since they removed exp from that mode. I was wondering how hard it might be to back-cap camps on ~lvl 50.

So I made a burn guard,
https://youtu.be/SYfujVFr76Y

Question though,
For materials like platinum, rugged and hard wood what lvl specifically should I be? I tried lvl 63 but ended up with silk/mithril/thick with only a little bit of platinum/linen/rugged. Is there a sweet spot? Thinking of making a lvl 55 to get the tripple stat gear and less iron ore but don’t want to start getting mithril.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Bloodstone Fen (the new map) events award salvage material that drop loot from all the tiers of materials and do so much more quickly than farming lower-level content would, especially since you can’t truly twink a character in GW2 as you’ll keep gaining experience and level up eventually.

I recommend doing event trains in the new map.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Bloodstone Fen (the new map) events award salvage material that drop loot from all the tiers of materials and do so much more quickly than farming lower-level content would, especially since you can’t truly twink a character in GW2 as you’ll keep gaining experience and level up eventually.

The char won’t gain XP if it’s parked somewhere such as a bank and is only used to open containers and salvage them.

To the OP: From comments made by others, level 53 is currently the most profitable level to use to open containers. I have a level 53 that I give all containers to to open that I earn while playing on my level 80s.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Justine.6351

I got bored with bloodstone fen pretty fast. But ya this is more about wvw than pve. I would have put it on wvw forum section but they don’t complain about mid-tier mats, well on that forum anyhow.

I will probably stick with lvl 50 then flesh wound. I may take a peak and see if there are lvl 53 rares I can use but I suspect lvl 50 rare set is likely the place I wanna be for good upscaled stats. Lvl 55 would be nice tri-stat but I’m thinking maybe since its blue gear it wouldn’t upscale as well. Assuming that upscaling takes gear grade into consideration?

I’m mostly doing this so I can keep playing wvw to some extent and farm my mid-tier mats for deld ingots, spirit wood and elonian leather. And ive always wanted to make a burn guard and also a twink. And now I can do both while working on juggernaut !
;-)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Stupid question: What is a twink?

I know of one definition but I think it’s safe to say that is not the one you’re using here. I assume it’s a specific form of alt (alternate character), but I can’t work out from the context what the difference would be.

And a google search only gives me the definition I already knew.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

In the Diablo 2 community, twink was used to describe a low level character you had “twinked out” with rare expensive gear you had farmed on high level characters. So I think it just means low level character in this case. I got a giggle out of the thread title too though.

Justine.6351

;-)

Its a low lvl alt you perfect gear for its lvl and don’t ever lvl up. Generally its used for dueling in other games since you don’t gain exp. Normal gameplay you would never get perfect gear at a certain lvl but are still mildly effective none the less. A twink takes your mildly effectiveness and turns it into an op x-lvl character.

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

It’s much easier to farm champ bags and containers on a lvl 80 and then once you have a good amount transfer them over to an alt of the appropriate level for the materials you want to get and open. You will still get t6 mats by opening the bags because they are still technically lvl 80 bags but the gear inside will be the level of your character and you can salvage that for low level mats such as linen or iron.

Justine.6351

It’s much easier to farm champ bags and containers on a lvl 80 and then once you have a good amount transfer them over to an alt of the appropriate level for the materials you want to get and open. You will still get t6 mats by opening the bags because they are still technically lvl 80 bags but the gear inside will be the level of your character and you can salvage that for low level mats such as linen or iron.

I’m sorry but it is more meant for solo roaming than karma training. That wasn’t meant as an insult just I don’t get many champ bags in wvw on my lvl 80s from roaming or playing in a 5-15 group. I guess its more about an option for people who want to be in wvw and don’t stack in a 30+ man zerg cracking towers and keeps in an unending chain.

Posted by: Downskee.2649

Downskee.2649

this is what you mean when you say twink, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHDaSO9-OQ ??