Need advice on building a PC

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: DarkSakimaru.8361

DarkSakimaru.8361

I didn’t know where else to post this so i am posting it here.

Anyways, I’m getting myself a new shiny PC and i wanna build it so it runs GW2 and HoT smoothly so i was wondering what graphics card, processor, etc. etc. do i need. My budget is not infinite, so if you could advise me on the best price/quality ratio.
My budget is somewhere around 1k$, probably less.

PS. I know some things about building a PC but when it comes to which part supports which i get lost…

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

To run GW2 well at higher settings you’ll need an upper-midrange GPU and a highly clocked i5, ideally in the 4.4+ GHz range. Since you want to keep the budget below $1k, I aimed for ~$750 for the tower; I didn’t include an optical drive or a wireless card, but those would be like $20 total if you needed both.

If you have a copy of windows you can reuse, don’t purchase it here and opt for either a Noctua DH-15 or a Corsair H100i (GTX) cooler instead of the Hyper 212 Evo. Both should lead to a decent temperature decrease, well worth it imo; I’m running a 212 Evo atm and I’ve been thinking about getting an H100i because my PC runs a bit hotter then I’d like.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yQ3vMp

I went with windows 8.1 because it’s the cheapest option and you can upgrade it to 10 for free anyways. You would also see some nice gains by getting an SSD (in that it lowers loading times quite a bit), although it would bump up the price a bit:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q2Qxzy

The SSD I chose has come controversy around it, but these days it’s just your average Sandforce SSD that’ll still be a nice step up over a conventional HDD. Realistically it’ll be as good as anything else in that price range without a sale. With a sale you should be able to get an 850 Evo for $70-75, though.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Fermi.2409)

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

I just upgraded my processor and motherboard to those exact models and made a huge difference in my experience. Now I’m running 60fps with max graphics settings and no lag issues even in world boss fights. My ram stayed at 16GB and my video card is only a GeForce GTX560Ti.

Posted by: DarkSakimaru.8361

DarkSakimaru.8361

Thank you very much guys. I think i am going to get that model you sugested with better cooling system since i got the windows copy i can reuse.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Since you’re building a new pc, I’d go for skylake with high speed ddr4:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8xXG8d ~900$

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Fermi.2409

You’re paying another $150 (20%) to gain like 5% performance. It’s really not worth going for Skylake, given the price difference between it and Haswell.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

You’re paying another $150 (20%) to gain like 5% performance. It’s really not worth going for Skylake, given the price difference between it and Haswell.

Well, you put a very low end MB with a low end cooler, you’ll be lucky getting stable 4.3-4.4GHz.
With that in mid, the gains are more than 5%, since that is comparing Haswell with 1600 ram vs Skylake with 2133 ram, and at same speed. But here I pair Skylake with high speed ram and also a good MB and a good cooler that will be able to reach easily 4.6-4.7GHz.
Overall the gains can be around 15%, with a much better motherboard with tons of more features.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: World War III.3869

World War III.3869

Skylake opens up better upgrade options down the road

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Which is the only reason currently to choose it in a new system over Devil’s Canyon.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Nytes.5269

Nytes.5269

Fermi has some great advice, but I am more in support of what Ansau, WWIII and Behellagh have to say. I just built a new system and the base specifications are in my signature.

i7 6700K|16GB Vengeance LPX|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|980GTX 4GB|850 Evo 500GB|Corsair RM850

Fermi.2409

Well, you put a very low end MB with a low end cooler, you’ll be lucky getting stable 4.3-4.4GHz.

The motherboard is a kitteneap, yes, but it’ll be perfectly fine for a 4.6+ GHz overclock if you’ve got the cooling for it. The 212 Evo is the best in the price bracket, and the TC will be getting a higher end cooler anyways; he’ll be able to get 4.6 GHz just fine.

With that in mid, the gains are more than 5%, since that is comparing Haswell with 1600 ram vs Skylake with 2133 ram

Ram speed isn’t going to make a difference, though, over 1600 MHz (maybe 1866?); 1-2 frames at the most over 1600. Linus made a video about it, if you want some proof.

But here I pair Skylake with high speed ram and also a good MB and a good cooler that will be able to reach easily 4.6-4.7GHz

Like I said, TC will be opting for a higher end cooler anyways. 4.6-4.7 would be completely reasonable for him. Honestly, if he got a decently binned CPU that 212 Evo would’ve been fine for 4.5 GHz.

Overall the gains can be around 15%, with a much better motherboard with tons of more features.

The only advantage to that motherboard is the higher feature count, which isn’t really worth doubling the price. If you really want a higher end mobo on the 4690k build you’re looking at like $90-100; I can’t find anything <$110 that’s any good for Skylake. You’re going to be getting equal clocks either way, so it’s going to be ~5-7% more performance, at best. Really not worth the additional investment.

If the prices were a bit closer, Skylake would be the way to go, but with a $150 gap it’s just not worth it.

By the time a 4690k is having issues a 6600k will have issues as well, and you’ll be better off getting something new then buying a 6700k/other 1151 upgrade.