Need help/advice with jumping puzzles

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

Okay so i really love the exploring and to see places i havent been to yet on map.
My problem is the jumping puzzle, theres always a point where ill fail there big time and just give up and go to my corner of shame.

is there a good tactic to ace the jumping better?

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

Posted by: Tatty.9680

Tatty.9680

Jump :P Take it slow and steady, look for the easiest way to do it, Keep close to walls and edges so as not to fall off and you will be master in no time.

Fear The Chickens – http://cluk.enjin.com/

Posted by: barbour.3062

barbour.3062

There is a portal power for one of the professions (stop calling it classes people) If a party member has it, they can “teleport” you across difficult parts.

Posted by: Pozag.2506

Pozag.2506

One of the best way to get a sense of where you’re jumping is to Zoom out and place the camera on top of your char. This will allow you do long/precise jumps without go over or under. Remember the char actually does 1 extra steps when he lands. It’s rather quite precise so focus on keeping your finger on space bar and release the moment you’re on top of your desired landing spot.

That at least should help you with the long/precise jumps.

As for the rest, just take your time. In most cases, it’s very fun and easy to do

Markus Titan – Norn Warrior – Crystal Desert

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

If your trying to be really precise with your jumping placement i recommend turning off “double tap to dodge” on your movement keys. Forget how many times ive pressed them too quickly to make little adjustments only to fall 100ft to my death. lol

Posted by: Lord Xabbu.6134

Lord Xabbu.6134

Practice makes perfect. For every moment of GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! you experience the moment of Oh YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!! is that much sweeter.

Also sometimes taking a break for a while can help. Go do something else and come back later. Last night I was trying to do one of the ones in the Salvari starting zone and just couldn’t quite get it so I went over to another one in the starting area was able to get that one instead.

The only one that I would consider a true pain in the but is the Golim’s Lab puzzle in Metrica Province. The wind level seems to have an issue with it that means the second windy bridge is a luck thing to get across unless you are in the overflow server. on the overflow server the wind on the second bridge seems to all sync up and it becomes easy to get across if you time it right.

For every ounce of dirt you throw you loose and once of ground.

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

One trick I’ve found is to equip a weapon that gives you a swiftness boon, so you can make jumps easier.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Historically, I have always been a pretty terrible jumper. However, after doing so many vistas and jumping puzzles I’m amazed to find myself loving them. Believe me, if I can do these, ANYONE can do them.

As a previous poster said, take your time. Take particular note of your positioning. Sometimes it’s a simple matter of the rock (or whatever) having a little extension on it that makes all the difference in being able to reach your goal. Hang in there and have fun!

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Dantir.9430

Dantir.9430

TURN OFF double tap dodging before you do a jumping puzzle

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

TURN OFF double tap dodging before you do a jumping puzzle

i actually don’t have any problem with it. really, but just to prevent paranoia i will.

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

People laugh at me when I tell them how I do jumping puzzles, but I do the polar opposite of how I play the game. I use the directional keys with my left hand and cross over my right onto the spacebar and I take my time. I don’t know if that is from my arcade game days or what but that’s the way I do it.
I also pan my camera alot to see when ledges end especially for big jumps because some you really have to jump at the very last second
And btw for general information I have yet to come across a jump that required a speed boost to make so thats nice

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

People laugh at me when I tell them how I do jumping puzzles, but I do the polar opposite of how I play the game. I use the directional keys with my left hand and cross over my right onto the spacebar and I take my time. I don’t know if that is from my arcade game days or what but that’s the way I do it.
I also pan my camera alot to see when ledges end especially for big jumps because some you really have to jump at the very last second
And btw for general information I have yet to come across a jump that required a speed boost to make so thats nice

lol interesting technique but i’d definetly miss if i tried that. Did you play alot of tunnel shooters like defender? lol

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

I can’t offer any tricks, but as a coping mechanism I tend to carefully make my way through until I make some stupid mistake and fall… and after one or two of those I go away and come back another day. Trying over and over is not good for my mental health >.<

Posted by: Meneh.2954

Meneh.2954

I love them, specially if done together with friends where you can make a bit of fun.

Best tips:
- Disable double tap to thumble.
- Try the easiest solution first.

(Sometimes they actually are just up that ramp and not some Indiana Jones puzzle.)

Posted by: DaPieDude.1496

DaPieDude.1496

Jumping puzzles really are a lot of fun!

If you do the ones in the WvW areas, make sure you have friends with you…and try to avoid traps all you can. I got stuck at a trap and someone trolled the fire for 10 minutes straight.

If you need help with ones that aren’t in WvW, I’d just ask anyone if they would like to do it with you. You can follow their lead if they have done it before.

P.S. Chests reset their loot, so there is profit in completing the puzzles again!

“That’s what” — She
Knights of Janthir (KoJ) http://knightsofjanthir.webs.com/

Posted by: Jenelise.6409

Jenelise.6409

For me, the keyboard I used made a big difference. Non-gaming keyboards made it very difficult to judge timing. I have a gaming keyboard now and it’s helped. Not sure if that’s your issue or not, but it’s always to better to blame equipment for failure