Need help figuring out keys/control to combat

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: WickedRequiem.7613

WickedRequiem.7613

I’m used to Diablo style combat system, where attacks were bound to mouse buttons.

That doesn’t seem to be the case in GW2. I’m pretty confused on how I’m supposed to fight. Do I just walk up next to enemies (using a guardian) and keep pressing “1” on the number pad to attack? It seems pretty unwieldy, and I know that just has to be a more fluid way to play this game.

Also, every time the enemy runs away, my character doesn’t chase after him. I need to walk/run after the enemy manually, and then keep pressing “1” to attack. Is there a way so my character will automatically chase after the targeted enemy and attack him?

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

For starters I’m not sure why you’re using Numpad.

Your left hand should be sitting on WASD (Fwd, Strafe Left, Back, Strafe Right) or somewhere there about, and using your mouse to look/turn (Left Click/Right Click).

After that typically weapon attacks are left as 1-5 on keyboard and profession skills, utilities, etc. are rebound to be more accessible to the left hand.

There was a recent thread on various keybinding schemes.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/keys-7-9/first#post4739406

Also here’s a GW2 keybinding guide that uses a non-WASD keybind setup.
http://taugrim.com/2012/06/27/guide-to-guild-wars-2-keybinds/

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

If your enemy is on target then you don’t need to keep tapping “1”, just press it once and it will auto-attack.

About the auto-chase, not an option in GW2, here your position matters a lot, so you need to get used to actively move, but there are skills to help, for guardians for example, you can use the greatsword #5 to “tag” the enemy and then press #5 again to bring the enemy to you, you can also use greatsword #3 to leap to where the enemy is, sword have a shadowstep to your target, scepter have an immobilize skill and so on.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

If you don’t like weapon skills being on your keyboard you can also put them on your mouse, provided that you have enough buttons on the mouse.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

If your enemy is on target then you don’t need to keep tapping “1”, just press it once and it will auto-attack.

Provided #1 is set to auto-cast.

Posted by: Seal.5964

Seal.5964

WickedRequiem, something which may help you position yourself easier is the Melee Attack Assist option (or whatsitcalled). It stops your character in melee range, when you try to rush through an enemy.
Keep in mind, people and monsters in this game are not solid, so you are perfectly allowed to run through them.

Sitting still is not encouraged in this game – there is only one trait which encourages it and in every other place and time, I would consider it to be a penalty (to your tactical advantage). Of course, sitting still can be applied with reverse psychology in mind, but only in very specific cases.

EU The Right Trolls ~JiVE~

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Provided #1 is set to auto-cast.

It is by default, so unless he actively removed it I’ll assume it is, but you are right.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

I have 12 buttons on my mouse, so I bound Mouse buttons 1-10 to skills, and I use WASD to move. Make sure to change Strafe left / right to A and D as to not turn if you’re not holding RMB. It makes it easier to move while in combat.

Ideally, you want your skill buttons close to your move buttons (WASD).

Diablo is very different. You use mouse to move. In GW2, you use WASD to move. If you are not familiar, it can take some times getting used to it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Your character won’t chase after the mob automatically. You will need to be constant moving anyway, or they will kill you.

This is an old but still useful video that I recommend to new people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKWeaXZeOY

Posted by: WickedRequiem.7613

WickedRequiem.7613

Wow… thanks everyone for your info and advice.
And thank you, Astral Projections, on the link to the youtube video.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Sitting still is not encouraged in this game – there is only one trait which encourages it and in every other place and time, I would consider it to be a penalty (to your tactical advantage). Of course, sitting still can be applied with reverse psychology in mind, but only in very specific cases.

A mesmer trying to disguise themselves as one of their clones.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m different. I use the inverted T with my right hand to move in combat, R to run and the mouse to steer out of combat. Left and are number and F keys. I never was a huge FPS player so while WASD is pretty standard, I never really enjoyed moving that way.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes