Need help getting startet

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

Fun fact: I played this game at launch, and loved it for quite a while. But for various reasons I stopped playing, and haven’t played for at least a year. Now I’m back with a new account, as I didn’t even manage to log in on the old one. And with the sale, a new account didn’t seem like a bad idea. Might as well go with a fresh start. But since I haven’t played in a long time, I’ve forgotten a lot of basic stuff.

1. How do I find quests? I’m currently an Asura lvl 2, and did one of those heart-quest things by destroying deactivated robots. What now? I have one heart-quest more I’m not sure how to do, and one quest to kill a monster. But how do I find out where to go? Is there a quest-list or something?

2. I know those heart-quests are in the nearby area, but how do I know how far I can go?

3. The text is very small and hard to read on my screen (using a 40" TV.) Is it possible to get it larger? I’ve already set the text in the options-menu to as big as it will go, and setting the UI any bigger than Medium makes it cover too much of the screen, without making the text bigger. Same with decreasing the resolution. It’s currently set to 1920×1080, but setting it any lower doesn’t help the text size.

I’m sure there are tons of other things I’ve forgotten, but let’s deal with that when we need to.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Since you’ve played before a few things have changed regarding leveling. I suggest you read up on the NPE to answer Questions 1&2. Might also answer potential future questions.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

As for Question 3 I’m really not sure there. You may just be experiencing one of the downsides to playing on a large screen.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

When doing hearts, if you go out of range then that heart’s guide (“kill ten rats for Mr Fuzzy…”) will go away. Moving closer to the heart will bring it back.

Just wander around the starting area. Do any hearts you find and when a dynamic event pops up, participate in that. Often doing an event will end up completing the heart’s requirement.

Finish all that… keep wandering.

Go back into your home town and explore it. View vistas, discover POI’s (point of interest), get all the way points. Same stuff you do outside, but nothing tries to eat you here. It all gives you XP.

Finish all that, then take the Asura Portal to Lion’s Arch, then the portals to the other races’ starting areas… rinse and repeat until you’re comfortable starting the Personal Story, which opens up at level 10.

BattleCat.2098

Thanks, guys! So there are no personal stories early on? Interesting. I’ll be sure to explore and have fun, then.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

After the NPE changeover Personal Story starts at 10 now I think.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Fun fact: I played this game at launch, and loved it for quite a while. But for various reasons I stopped playing, and haven’t played for at least a year. Now I’m back with a new account, as I didn’t even manage to log in on the old one. And with the sale, a new account didn’t seem like a bad idea. Might as well go with a fresh start. But since I haven’t played in a long time, I’ve forgotten a lot of basic stuff.

1. How do I find quests? I’m currently an Asura lvl 2, and did one of those heart-quest things by destroying deactivated robots. What now? I have one heart-quest more I’m not sure how to do, and one quest to kill a monster. But how do I find out where to go? Is there a quest-list or something?

2. I know those heart-quests are in the nearby area, but how do I know how far I can go?

3. The text is very small and hard to read on my screen (using a 40" TV.) Is it possible to get it larger? I’ve already set the text in the options-menu to as big as it will go, and setting the UI any bigger than Medium makes it cover too much of the screen, without making the text bigger. Same with decreasing the resolution. It’s currently set to 1920×1080, but setting it any lower doesn’t help the text size.

I’m sure there are tons of other things I’ve forgotten, but let’s deal with that when we need to.

1. Scouts will show you what Hearts are around to do. Or you simply wander about revealing the map and stumble onto them. Really most times you simply need to be in range for the heart or event to pop up on the right side of the screen.

2. Not sure what you mean? Tab through the nearby critters. If they are too high of a level, don’t go that way, or at least not too far into that area.

3. They is a UI setting that should be big enough at HDTV res on a 40" screen, unless you are like 10ft back from the monitor/set. I think it’s on the graphic settings page.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

BattleCat.2098

Thanks guys. So far I’m a level 5 Necromancer and doing quite well. Though one other question. How are the groups in dungeons, and especially at lower levels? I’’m sort of interested in testing a dungeon, as I never did that the last time. I’m also interested in playing the Guardian for PvE, though I’m not a good tank in groups. I prefer being a healer or support. Any advice on what class would be best for me? I -might- play two characters (one PvE, one PvE/dungeons), but can’t say for sure yet. I prefer doing as much as possible with just one.

Behellagh.1468

Lowest level dungeon is level 30 for story mode, 35 for normal paths. Problem for some is that dungeon runs have become high level elitist play although through a guild or a group of friends it’s doable without the pressure to do it AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE, knowing all the tricks and shortcuts.

RIP City of Heroes

BattleCat.2098

So they are like in any other MMO, then. I guess I’ll just stick to a class I enjoy, then ask for a group of newbies in the chat or something if I decide I want to try a dungeon.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

F

Run to the next heart, event or personal story star you see on the map.

The heart disappears when you go to far away.

Thanks guys. So far I’m a level 5 Necromancer and doing quite well. Though one other question. How are the groups in dungeons, and especially at lower levels? I’’m sort of interested in testing a dungeon, as I never did that the last time. I’m also interested in playing the Guardian for PvE, though I’m not a good tank in groups. I prefer being a healer or support. Any advice on what class would be best for me? I -might- play two characters (one PvE, one PvE/dungeons), but can’t say for sure yet. I prefer doing as much as possible with just one.

There are no healers or tanks in PvE dungeons, everyone is DPS and supports their party and themselves with group buffs. Some classes have more group buffs than others (Guardians swim in group buffs, Necro’s have barely any).

BattleCat.2098

Thanks. I’m learning a lot now.

And here’s yet another question, sorry. I bought a hat in the Black Lion Trade Company, and it said it’s account bound. I assume this means I can use it on every character, but if so, how? Can only one use it at a time, or can all use it at once? I did get three hat-icons when I purchased it, but they disappeared too quickly to see what they were. I have three characters, so I figured it was one for each. However, the other two don’t have it yet. Is it because they are below level 6?

Sorry for all these stupid questions. I’m learning a lot, though.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

What hat did you buy? A skin? If so, that’s not an actual item, but you rather apply its design to any actual helmet you wear via the wardrobe (once for free after purchase).

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

BattleCat.2098

It’s the Ringmaster’kitten. It looks pretty cool on my necromancer, and it was cheap enough as a “test” to see how this wardrobe thing works. Back when I last played, I couldn’t even use town clothes in combat.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Seriously, profanity filter? Ringmaster kitten?

Anyways, yeah, that’s a skin you can put on any helmet you like, for one transmutation charge each time you put it on a different base item. You can wear anything in combat now but tonics, and any skin bought from the gem store can go on armour. Outfits are a bit different, but more practical for leveling, since you buy it once and then can use it just whenever, while normal skins require transmutation charges each time you replace a piece of your armour, and those don’t come in bulk for the lower levels anymore.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

BattleCat.2098

Haha, I didn’t even notice the autocorrect. :p It’s the Ringmaster Hat. The big tophat, not the tiny one (on Asura, anyway. No idea how it looks on other.)

And yeah, I noticed the Wardrobe thing. The reason I got three of them is because there’s one Light-, one Medium- and one Heavy-armor version. Strange. But oh, well. Glad to know how this works.

And again, sorry for all these stupid questions. I think I can figure out most of the rest on my own now, thanks.

Behellagh.1468

There are no stupid questions when learning the ropes.

RIP City of Heroes