Need help on deciding a profession

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

Q:

From looking at all the different professions, I narrowed it down between warrior, and ranger. I’m not sure exactly which one I want to be though. Can someone give me the pros and cons of each profession? I like how versatile they can be, and they both fit my play style. I just need some help deciding on which one to be. Also should I be a human or norn and which class with what race. Thank you for your help.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I wouldn’t mind helping you on this =)

I play all classes and I’m also a Guild Mentor, so if you are also looking for guild too, that’s another bonus.

Anyways, You can be any race you want, depending on what look and story you are into for the journey. I play all races.

As for classes, I think it’s safe to assume you are new to the game so I’ll teach you all the stuff you need to know in deciding a class and playstyle that fits you.

You can contact me in game or on skype

Skype username: DreamyAbaddon

Posted by: serisho.7053

serisho.7053

well both are great for PvE!

I have to start by saying I am biased towards the ranger, but my main is an Elementalist.

when i talk about, for example, sword/dagger I mean main hand/offhand. if i don’t put a slash ( / ) that means it is a two handed weapon.

with the ranger, you won’t always be using ranged attacks, so keep that in mind. when I play ranger I go longbow and sword/dagger. you can also use greatsword or axe/warhorn, all are popular choices. (rangers throw axes) Your best pet will be the bear types in PvE.

warriors are highest hp/defense combined and generally plow through PvE quicker than most classes. I found warriors to be lack luster for me. warriors also have longbow, but I prefer the rifle on warrior for my ranged weapon. for melee weapon I prefer sword/axe or greatsword. sometimes i’ll ditch the range weapon and use sword/axe and greatsword. the popular weapons differ for what style of warrior you’re going to play.

as for race, it’s mostly for your early game personal storyline (1-35ish levels) and looks.

Norn are in the snowy mountains (shiverpeak mountains) and are kinda like vikings. I dont know much about norn storylines.

humans are a dying race and are slowly being wiped out, now only their main city divinity’s reach in kryta remains.

I will note, however, that Norn have a fun PvE elite skill that you can transform into the Norn spirit animals (bear, wolf, snow leopard, raven)

Check out my color guide!
Color schemes to help you stand out!

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Warrior is a more aggressive class. They are capable of both powerful burst and sustained damage. In that sense they are more flexible on how they want to attack (from an offensive mindset). They have the most weapons to choose of any class. Their single target lockdown (stuns, knockdown) is considered unmatched given the right weapon combinations and utility skills. They can also give AoE buffs with Banners and Shouts. Warriors have plenty offensive mobility (leaps/dashes toward the enemy), and heavy armor to withstand attacks.

Ranger leans much more toward sustain damage and attrition fights. The Ranger primary mechanic is the Animal Companion, who has his own skills. While Rangers do not have as many weapons to choose from as the Warrior, there are many different pet types which gives the Ranger his diversity. Rangers can buff allies with spirits (stationary NPC). Rangers have a mix of offensive and defensive mobility, with many evasive skills to mitigate damage.

Posted by: Carize.8532

Carize.8532

And since you sound like you may be completely new to the game…you probably have 5 char slots to fill. ^.^
Go on and make one of each of those 2 classes that intrigue you. Play them both. No need to really worry about splitting your time because this game levels you pretty quickly.

You get experience for gathering, exploring new areas of the map, doing events, and finishing hearts/zones. In less than a week you’ll have a good feel for both’s basic play styles and can choose which (or neither) you might want to focus on.

For all you know now, it might be guardian or mesmer that turns out to have the class mechanic that floats your boat.
Don’t lock yourself into anything at all yet. Tyria is yours to explore, conquer…and basically goof around in.

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi
Jade Quarry since launch then I started wandering the borderlands of Yak’s Bend