Need help picking a Class as my main. :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: CarverMG.5102

CarverMG.5102

Q:

I would love to find a class that best suits me.. I have tried them all and see that they all are relatively the same in what I am looking for.

Im looking for a Strong WvW/SPvp Character.
One who can support in PvE.
An AoE Damage Dealer..
Can Take hits.
yet switch to healing if need be.
But good at DPS.

Any ideas?

I was looking into Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer or Mesmer.. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Hyde.6248

Hyde.6248

You’re possibly looking at guardian. But there isn’t really any class that can do all those things that you want :P Like warrior can take hits and deal greats amounts of damage, while ele can do AoE damage but they’re a bit squishy.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I only have a guardian out of those list, and am currently leveling an ele. Still, out of personal exprerience and from having lots of other classes in my groups, I can generally say:

-WvW
ele/guard
Either are best for zergs. I have an ele freind who uses a D/D bunker build thats supposed to be really good for WvW.

-PvE
guard/ele/mes
All classes that you listed could work EXCEPT for necro, do not roll one as I’ve heard they’re just terrible at this. also, a guard definitely has highest survivability when dealing with mobs.

-AoE
ele >guard >necro >mes
easy. ele is the strongest AoE dps class. guard would probably come close with staff and scepter and I don’t really know about necro, but mes have some of the most terrible AoE capabilities, except if they say choose to shatter their clones.

-Can take hits (survivability)
guard >ele >mes >necro
guardian aegis/reflect/block is without a doubt unparalleled in any other class. their defensive/protective capabilities are the absolute best in this regard.

-Healing
guard >ele
Guard has very good group support. heals as well. Ele might be able to also (havent much experience in this class yet).

-DPS
ele >mes >guard >necro
Ele has highest AoE dmg and generally the highest DPS with their summoned weps etc. which are also a HUGE bonus in some dungeons (like AC).

In conclusion: you’d be looking at either a guard or ele. it really comes dwon to a question of whether you favor survivability or higher DPS. Guard has some of the best protection/regen skills in the game, ele has the most devastating AoE attacks and highest DPS of all classes (arguably).

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

-PvE
guard/ele/mes
All classes that you listed could work EXCEPT for necro, do not roll one as I’ve heard they’re just terrible at this. also, a guard definitely has highest survivability when dealing with mobs.

Necros aren’t as highly desired as the other three classes in dungeons, but they do fine in general groups if you spec into power and vulnerability stacking- you hit hard while making others hit harder. It’s condition damage builds that become difficult due to condition caps. They’re also quite useful in WvW for screwing up boons, crippling people with conditions, and causing general panic, and one of the top sPvP classes currently.

Overall, OP, I think guardian matches your criteria best- only thing I would say it’s missing is AoE damage. It can do AoEs, but not to the same extent as an ele or well necro. However, I will say that you will need to change between builds depending on what you want. If you roll the high-DPS build for ele, your survivability takes a massive hit since you have little self-recovery and very low health and armor- it’s also not very practical in WvW. Guardian can do damage on par with a warrior, but doing so will likely require you to give up healing and become glassy.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

Are you kidding on the don’t roll a necro bit? I have 2 and honestly I can do pretty much anything pve. WvW provides a bit of a challenge only because a lack of escape. Necros are best at pointblank AOE. I haven’t found another class and I’ve played them all that do this better. I have no problem getting a group for dungeons and other pve content. I know their are part of the meta in spvp. Necros work best at group content. The only pve challenge is the bleed and vuln cap on world bosses which not the fault of a necro or any other class but of the game itself.

Sorry had to defend my fav class

Guardians are good at controlling damage.
Eles are boon engines.
Necros are boon strippers and condi manipulators.
Mesmer are masters of dueling and confusion.

I’ve played all of these in pve and wvw. Mesmers aren’t good for healing really so that leaves them out of your list. Necros can stack regen like there is no tomorrow if you have the right gear and trait set up. Eles can do a bit of everything. Honestly, as much of a fan of necros I’d say go with Ele or Guardian. Ele has a higher skill cap but Guardians can take a beating. I don’t think you’ll find anything that does it all the best, but those two come close enough. If you go guardian DON’T go glass cannon, its counter intuitive of the class itself.

Lots of toons and so little time :D

Posted by: slaughterfest.6250

slaughterfest.6250

No class is any good at any of those unless u play it right. So find if ur better at casters, ranged or melee DPS, then after that itl narrow down ur choices greatly. So basically ur going have to find something ur good at and going to enjoying playing. Every class can do basic AoE, just some classes AoE is bigger. Every class has those same core skill set, AoE, Support, DPS, Condition, Burst. just some are a little better in those areas. Find something u enjoy, u wont even have realized its become your main, u just login and start playin ^^

Bane Of The Legions (80 Reaper)
Duke Vindictae (80 Chronomancer)
Pain is temporary, Regret is forever.

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

No class is any good at any of those unless u play it right. So find if ur better at casters, ranged or melee DPS, then after that itl narrow down ur choices greatly. So basically ur going have to find something ur good at and going to enjoying playing. Every class can do basic AoE, just some classes AoE is bigger. Every class has those same core skill set, AoE, Support, DPS, Condition, Burst. just some are a little better in those areas. Find something u enjoy, u wont even have realized its become your main, u just login and start playin ^^

hehe you said it

Lots of toons and so little time :D

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Guardian fits your criteria better than anything else.