Need help starting out

Need help starting out

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cooper.6217

Cooper.6217

Q:

Hi everyone, i just got guild wars 2 a couple of days ago and i have been having difficulty choosing a profesion. I’m planning on playing PVP mostly if that helps. Im thinking of warrior,thief, or guardian but all suggestion as long as they have some explanation. Feel free to add what race for the class as well. Thank you!

(edited by Cooper.6217)

Need help starting out

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Races are pretty much cosmetic- some are bigger or smaller visually, but their hitboxes are all the same. Pick the one that looks nicest to you.

Regarding the three classes you mentioned:
-Warrior: regarded as a strong PvE class due to its high damage, but tends to struggle in PvP.
-Thief: a strong PvP roamer class that is dependent on quick maneuvering and/or well-timed stealths to perform well.
-Guardian: a class that’s less mobile than others, but has a lot of tricks to heal and mitigate damage. A strong support class that is best in groups.

Overall, though, you should play the class whose playstyle you enjoy the most. Feel free to try them all out.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Need help starting out

Cooper.6217

I figured races were just for looks, just wanted some ideas as to what looks “cool” in a certain type of gear. Also: What do you mean by roamer class (thief)? and how is damage on a guardian?

Need help starting out

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Races are pretty much cosmetic- some are bigger or smaller visually, but their hitboxes are all the same. Pick the one that looks nicest to you.

Regarding the three classes you mentioned:
-Warrior: regarded as a strong PvE class due to its high damage, but tends to struggle in PvP.
-Thief: a strong PvP roamer class that is dependent on quick maneuvering and/or well-timed stealths to perform well.
-Guardian: a class that’s less mobile than others, but has a lot of tricks to heal and mitigate damage. A strong support class that is best in groups.

Overall, though, you should play the class whose playstyle you enjoy the most. Feel free to try them all out.

I agree with this, except that Warriors can be very good in PvP (both sPvP and WvW) current (1 of) the best CC builds with Maxe/Shield/Hammer and most hardcore WvW guilds run Guardian/Warrior heavy front-line melee groups. Warriors can put out condition removal, speed boosts, AoE CC all while having 2 forms of passive healing. Guardian is toughest class to bring down though.

I run a tanky/crit warrior in WvW and I’ve died probably twice in the last 2 weeks due to group play & proper set-up.

Honestly – I’d play all 3. I main a Thief (800 hours) and Warrior (400 hours) of my total 1500 hours played, I have 5 80s and other 3 are mid 40s.

gw2armor.com will allow you to look at sets of armor on different races/male&female to give you an idea of what they will look like.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Need help starting out

Cooper.6217

I think im gonna give thief a try. Thank you both , you both seem like you know a lot about the game and i probably will try all three of these out LilMcGinley.

(edited by Cooper.6217)

Need help starting out

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

I think im gonna give thief a try. Thank you both , you both seem like you know a lot about the game and i probably will try all three of these out LilMcGinley.

Hey, no problem. Like I said, I play a lot of thief. Feel free to bug me in game if you need any armor/weapons or tips

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Need help starting out

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Thanks, and have fun.

@Lil: Yeah, I probably should have said “is trickier to play in sPvP,” given that I’ve both dueled my warrior friend and watched him fight others. I guess what I meant is that the full zerker/Hundred Blades PvE meta doesn’t hold up at all in PvP, and until some recent patches, warriors had issues with having less recovery than other classes and no tricks like invulnerability or stealth.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread