Nerf soon or not? Need to know for creating Thief

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ianervan.7915

ianervan.7915

Is this going to be nerfed soon or not? I don’t want to start new profession, get to 80 for WvW, and then to see it get nerfed.

This is the only class that can kill people in literary 2 seconds. Same old.. Backstab, Cloak Dagger, Heartseeker/Steal whatever. In WvW with all the lag, a good lvl80 thief with upgraded gear will kill you before you can press a single button. Sometimes, you will be on the floor in downed state before you see anything hitting you.

It’s absolutely ridiculous. But hey, can’t win em, join em.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Hedge your bets and make a guardian and warrior too. I definitely see elementalists as the warriors of WoW since I can imagine them being UP one moment then OP the next, as if the devs said, “Woah! We gave it too much power nerf it! Oops, it’s pathetic again, buff it. Oh noes! Too much power! Nerf!!!”

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

why don’t you focus on being a better player, so you’re successful regardless of what the current balance situation is?

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

ianervan.7915

Because being a better player has nothing to do with being killed in literary 2 seconds. It’s a game mechanic, not a matter of skill.

Agemnon – I tried making a Guardian few times, but the lack of ranged becomes too boring real fast. As in, after few PvE levels I can’t take it anymore. Going full defense is also pretty dull compared to GW1 monk.

Posted by: Ergo Proxy.6219

Ergo Proxy.6219

Why l2p when you can play a class that kills people before they can react?

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Why l2p when you can play a class that kills people before they can react?

because expecting that 100% of the time is foolhardy and in a even fight (more likely to happen) – you’ll just get flat out murdered every single time.

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Sorry. Play a mesmer ( on HoD…you know the #1 WvW server) and I Am still waiting to get killed in 2 seconds by a thief.

I am willing to wager in fact that I am still waiting to be killed by a thief …period.

I am also still waiting to get 1 shot by a warrior. Still havent had that happen yet either although there are plenty of threads about warriors being able to kill people in 1 shot.

I am going to put this out there.
You are stacking power, precesion and crit.
And yes, you are going to die fairly quickly doing that.

If you stack Tougheness and vitality…you may live longer….just a though.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Spec won’t save the guy any more than profession will.

If he’s just gonna sit there and let people kill him it doesn’t matter what profession or spec he is.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Just a question: if you ‘join them’ and become a thief too,
what makes you think that other thief can’t kill you in 2 seconds anymore?

You still have lag, he still picks you…

Wearing glass armor does nothing if the glass canon still shoots first…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Just a question: if you ‘join them’ and become a thief too,
what makes you think that other thief can’t kill you in 2 seconds anymore?

You still have lag, he still picks you…

Wearing glass armor does nothing if the glass canon still shoots first…

This. I was going to mention if there’s one class that obviously shines above the rest then everyone would choose it and therefore skill comes into play anyway. Skill matters, and everyone adapts. Just think about all the people not willing to improve, learn their class, how to adapt, etc. It’s like Chess, you will have plenty of opponents who just think experience or studying one thing will get them far, but the higher the higher you go the more you encounter people who take the game seriously enough to study it in further depth. You have tactics, strategy (what to do when there are no tactics present), openings, endgames, etc.

Posted by: EnaiSiaion.8072

EnaiSiaion.8072

It’s funny how people flame him for wanting to play the best class in a competitive PvP setting. It’s like playing to win is now unacceptable.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Mesmers and thiefs seem to fill pug pvp at least, and I can’t say they feel ‘as balanced as the rest’.
This together with guardians needing more than 1 to be killed, could suggest that pvp isn’t balanced all that well in this game.
Sadly, because that’s another big reason why I joined here.

I find that the only counters I can use against such openers so far, being utterly bad at pvp here so far, is traiting automatic protectors when stunned. Because actively I simply don’t have much time to do anything, even if I realise whatever the heck I could do

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

If a thief is killing you in 2 seconds then you can kill that thief in 2 seconds as well. In order to do that damage a thief has to go all power, precision, crit damage. The only vitality you might have is from the acrobatics tree, IF you decide to go that way. If you go further into the power tree you’re looking at 11k hp, 13.8k if you go 30 into acrobatics.

Let’s put that into perspective. A DPS warriors killshot can 1 shot you. Most other classes can 2-4 shot you easily. Mesmers absolutely destroy you. Any sort of AOE’s decimate a glass cannon thief. You need to constantly watch your health as you can drop in a second. The glass cannon thief isn’t terribly out of balance given that they take a huge survivability hit to accomplikitten. Now warriors doing 16k+ 100b, 14k+ killshots, 8k+ eviscerates, and mesmers; they could probably use balanced first.

Now I will agree that stealth needs fixed in that lag gives extra stealth the thief shouldn’t have. How they can fix it without breaking a backstab builds viability is the issue. Thief’s have so few decent builds. You’re either burst or condition damage and condition damage due to it’s poor scaling compared to crit/crit damage isn’t that great.

ianervan.7915

“If a thief is killing you in 2 seconds then you can kill that thief in 2 seconds as well.”

This is BS. Even when glass cannon thief can kill you in 2 sec, there is NO WAY you’re going to kill that thief in 2 sec.

What is wrong with you people? I’m talking about hard cold facts, and you reply with some theorycrafting that only makes sense in theory and have no basis in reality.

“A DPS warriors killshot can 1 shot you. "

I don’t even remember when I died to a warrior. Let alone 1 shot. No other class one shots me or anything close to it. Thief is the only one that does it in 2 sec, whereas other classes need to destroy my defense, my dodge, my escape skills, my hp.. and them I’m dead. With a thief, people die in 2 seconds before they see wtf is going on, before they can even press a single escape skill. That’s a huge difference and there’s nothing balanced about it.

“Mesmers absolutely destroy you.”

Mesmer has to build offense. No mesmer is going to instagib you. Sorry. Even a mesmer who uses MoA is not going to kill you nearly as fast as a thief. I mean wtf, by the time mesmer casts MoA, a thief kills you!

Anyway, I’m not here to debate the obvious. I just want to know if there going to be any nerf soon or not. And if I want to play glass cannon thief and you think glass cannon thief dies in 2 sec, then what’s the problem. I play thief, you kill me easily, everyone happy.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

What is this 2002?

This is not the first MMO, and you are not the first elementalist (caster) to get pwned by a thief (melee) in wvw (pvp) and make a reverse nerf call thread (qq).

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

Am just waiting for them to nerf thief so I can quit. Nerf means to make something useless. I’m not quitting because I can’t “1 shot” people or “Kill them before they can react” (I’ve never done that, and I barely ever lose a 1v1), but because I’m not going to play a class that sucks in PvE, already has horrible survivability in PvP and PvE, and from the nerf, won’t be able to kill anything. The thief isn’t meant to be a class that spends 20 minutes kiting a class it’s about laying on the conditions/crippling your opponent and killing them before they can escape. If I can’t do this because base damage output (not heartseeker/backstab) is nerfed then there is really no point in playing. We are probably going to get a nerf, at least I hope to heartseeker and backstab because i don’t use them, but I’m not looking forward to it.

CD

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

Is this going to be nerfed soon or not? I don’t want to start new profession, get to 80 for WvW, and then to see it get nerfed.

This is the only class that can kill people in literary 2 seconds. Same old.. Backstab, Cloak Dagger, Heartseeker/Steal whatever. In WvW with all the lag, a good lvl80 thief with upgraded gear will kill you before you can press a single button. Sometimes, you will be on the floor in downed state before you see anything hitting you.

Why are you even here posting this about a prof when you clearly answered your own problem. You lag alot. When lagging you are able to see actions being done by other until the lag passes then bam!

Go back to wow and complain there.

Its becuase of players just like you that cant learn how to play a game screams for nerfs is why 90% of games turns to crap in such a short time. Becuase eventualy more people like you start to say the same thing in a long drawn out circle of stupidity.

And yes learn to play.

I constantly see bad players in zones im leveling and whats funny is..im under leveled and take on more monsters in a fight while they struggle with 1 and are couple levels above my own.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

In my opinion thief is probably getting either damage on backstab down or a fix to some mechanics.

But honestly fearing to roll a class for fear of nerfs is quite poor.
Anet always did a great job at keeping classes balanced.

Oh and try some toughness. From there and counting it’ll be an uphill struggle for you to try becoming a decent player.
No offense, just stating how it is. No decent character will go down in 2s.

Posted by: Hotdogs.8934

Hotdogs.8934

it doesnt really matter how fast you kill them. in a zergfest you wont be able to stomp them for your reward and they will get ressed. in a small battle you just need to be able to chase them.

but yeah, you should always play a class that you think is OP. its more fun that way.

be sure to play some spvp to get a feel for them

(edited by Hotdogs.8934)

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

things can kill you without you seeing them in wvw, its called culling.

But if anything thieves got a buff since the last patch

Posted by: Zabatakis.3571

Zabatakis.3571

I doubt they will be nerfing them. I would hope that they at least nerf steal, but I can’t honestly imagine they have even begun to look at balance before they iron out all the class bugs. The list for necros is huge atm, I imagine many classes are in the same boat.

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

It’s funny how people flame him for wanting to play the best class in a competitive PvP setting. It’s like playing to win is now unacceptable.

Nice strawman there buddy.

Or do you REALLY think that people are getting on him for “wanting to play the best class in a competitive PvP setting” ?

The problem with him is that he wants to play some OP class build and he is already preemptively kittening about a nerf to that specific build.

I honestly never understood the stupid argument that people make about how they were deceived and dooped by X developer because they built their entire character around one specific skill/build and then it was changed.

Seriously dude, if you have absolutely NO interest in playing the Thief class aside from the fact that it has some stupidly OP build, then DONT play it.

This is an MMO, and in an MMO things like class balance ALWAYS changes, especially in a PVP oriented MMO.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

If you’re a bad player, playing a thief won’t hide that against anything but people who are at least as bad as you. As for if it’ll be nerfed or not? Well, that depends on if they listen to the bad players who don’t pay any attention to what’s going on other than “omg a thief killed me” or if they actually go by facts.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I play a warrior, full defense spec, with retaliation proc on crit and use a S/B. Thieves are easy for me, after they’ve finished their first few attacks they’re at about 25% HP so they usually die in 1 hit.

I think people should explore the classes weaknesses before crying for a nerf.

Posted by: Chewie.7389

Chewie.7389

Thiefs will most likely be nerfed. It is sorely needed. But play any class you want, it’s more about they playstyle you have the most fun with. And don’t listen to other people, even if you are a bad player a brain dead monkey could play a thief well.

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

Nope, people will complain about the rogue class no matter what. People don’t like stealth, people complain about riki in dota2, which has the pros laughing as he isn’t used in pro matches because in reality he is crap.
They need to buff engineer, they are nearly extinct. They also need to buff theif, ele and engineer down states as they are useless in pve.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Just roll a guardian or warrior and never die.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

WvW isn’t the venue to judge the 1v1 abilities of classes, cuz there’s no control to player power/gear there.

A thief very quickly downed my son’s thief today in WvW. But together with my guardian we killed the thief. BUT it’s important to note, my son’s thief is still in his 30s. So of course he’s fragile.

In sPvP, thief does ok, but isn’t OP. The Mesmer is strongest 1v1 but I think that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Part of why a thief is a lil OP when they control the fight is that it’s hard for them to control the fight, especially in WvW, and rather weak range in a range-centric setting.

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

The game is not even two months old yet.. Classes are going to go through many changes over the next few years. Eventually I doubt any class is going to be able to just two shot anyone. If you base your character off flavor of the month you’re always going to have issues.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

poorly veiled nerf X class post…

As an engineer I rarely die to thieves and I am new to WvW. Things I do not do…

1) run around solo

2) suck at PvPing

3) stand still when I see a thief charging me

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Starhawk.2958

Starhawk.2958

WvW isn’t the venue to judge the 1v1 abilities of classes, cuz there’s no control to player power/gear there.

A thief very quickly downed my son’s thief today in WvW. But together with my guardian we killed the thief. BUT it’s important to note, my son’s thief is still in his 30s. So of course he’s fragile.

In sPvP, thief does ok, but isn’t OP. The Mesmer is strongest 1v1 but I think that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Part of why a thief is a lil OP when they control the fight is that it’s hard for them to control the fight, especially in WvW, and rather weak range in a range-centric setting.

You bring up some excellent points which will most likely be totally ignored by those who want to whine about the thief class.

Posted by: oplompolom.4379

oplompolom.4379

PvP is an acronym that causes a ringing in the ears of MMO developers.