New 80 needs advice on getting gear

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: raykor.6723

raykor.6723

I’ve been level 80 for about two weeks now, in full greens, and looking for advice on how to get better gear. I realize I can just buy it off the TC but I was looking for ways to get it on my own.

I was hoping to craft my stuff but it turns out you need those purple balls of goodness to make rares and those in turn require salvaging two or three rares (depending on luck).

So fine…you need to have several rares to make one new rare (kinda dumb) but then how to get all these rares?

I got one from two weeks of grinding hundreds of random mobs so that doesn’t seem very efficient. I participated in ten or so of the big zone events and only got one rare from the final chest so that’s not very efficient either.

I used to get a nice amount of loot from WvW but I get almost nothing lately. I don’t know if the drop rate was stealth nerfed, a streak of bad luck, or if the drop rate changes at level 80 but WvW doesn’t seem very efficient either.

I’m not really a dungeon grinder but is that the secret? Will I have to grind dungeons? Also, do people mostly not bother with rares and just grind the dungeons for tokens for exotics?

Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Straken.5613

Straken.5613

My best advice:
- run your story mode and get your black lion salvaging kits
- build your MF set, either go full armor & accessories with MF runes, or just MF accessories and runes. choice is yours. dont forgot your MF food
- farm for yellow and greens!
- combine 4 random greens for a chance at a yellow
- use your black lion salvage kit and break the yellows
- use the sexy ectos to build your own exotics!!

Out of my 25 free black lion kits, only twice did i not receive an ecto. I received 3 ectos from 1 break 7 times. That’s 21 ectos from 7 rares… YES PLEASE!!! I was able to craft a full set of exotic armor and trinkets from the 25 black lion kits.

Also, Magic Find is fairly powerful. Earlier today, I farmed in Cursed Shore for 45 minutes with 140 MF and after green combines, i had 7 yellows. Those yellows broke down to 11 ectos. Not bad for 45 min.

Redbull is the elixir of the mind t(’ ’t)

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

you can always buy a set of rare gear (yellow) off the trade netowrk.
Its cheap.
And you should be sufficiently well geared that you can do dungeons for tokens for gear.
You could also Karma far for gear…but I would save your karma for other things.

Posted by: Chronologist.9782

Chronologist.9782

You can get full rares as soon as you hit 80, if not then I dunno what you did with money.

Counting at 20 silver a piece (that is actually high), it’s <3g

After that you can work toward exotic, money you spent on rare is actually not throwaway either, you can salvage it for possible ecto

It’s much easier to get gold from events along with karma than doing dungeons for exotic gear

Also, if you haven’t finished all the 70+ zones, I recommend you do because you’ll get lv.68+ exotic that should have payout of 30silver~2g

Frostgorge
Straits of Devestation
Malchor
Cursed Shore

Posted by: ZetaStriker.9142

ZetaStriker.9142

I prefer to keep stat gear, and run 5 Superior Pirate runes and 1 Superior Traveler rune for +60% MF. Have another ~10% in gems on my trinkets, try to have a weapon with a Luck Sigil for ~10%, and pop edibles for +30% . . . so roughly +100% total. With that I get a rare pretty much any time I play for a relatively short amount of time, and even without using the Mystic Forge on greens I get rares pretty quickly.

Keep in mind you can buy ectos for roughly 17s off the trading post too. I’ve taken advantage of this many times before, and it’s currently my primary source of gold as I can make about 1g for each exotic I sell so long as I’m crafting the right types.