New - No idea what this is...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Pangu.7053

Pangu.7053

So a friend told me about Guild Wars 2, Probably a year ago, And I’ve been craving an MMO lately. So I picked it up on the 50% Deal at the moment, Only problem is I have no idea what this game is.

Describe it in one sentence

Also how PvP oriented is it? I’m not a huge fan of PvP, Love PvM, And love exploring.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The forums are full of people who directly contradict each other about what the game is. You really need to jump in and see for yourself.
PvP is present but not required. I don’t play it and have plenty to do. Some complain that there is not enough PvP.
Read the stickies posts on this page.
Good luck with the game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s no way anyone can reasonably say this game is centered on PvP. PvP gets a minority of the updates. PvE gets almost all the updates. This game is definitely PvE centric.

That said, it’s not necessarily about dungeons and raids like in most MMOs…because there are no raids and the dungeon community complains they’re not getting enough love.

This game is about PvE, but open world PvE and the Living Story. There are other things in games, but this is the focus of the company at this time.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

An MMO where co-op play is promoted, exploration encouraged and is designed to eliminate negative penalties for helping fellow players.

What I mean by that is things like instanced material nodes for every player, no need to compete to get to it. No splitting a common XP and loot pool, do a minor amount of damage and get full XP and loot roll. Everyone can rez another player. You aren’t led from one quest giver to the next so it’s up to you where to go next. You never outlevel a zone so you can always play with friends who are leveling up while still getting XP suited to your actual level.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Greybombshell.7142

Greybombshell.7142

In one sentence? It’s not at all like WoW . PVP is entirely optional, exploration is very rewarding, the community is (mostly) very friendly, and the game is just a lot of fun, especially for a casual player.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In one sentence? A casual-friendly semi-sandbox cooperative MMORPG.

But that’s focusing on the parts which are important to me. Other people would pick different features and so come up with something different.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

awesome until you reach the grinding stage

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

One Sentence…

“This game offers diversity of builds and classes without having to use the trinity for group content making “up time” more efficient and less waiting around for raids to start."
(Note. Oh yeah… its Free to Play!)

Pangu.7053

I’m loving it so far Finished downloading it. Oh my god, This game is amazing. The World Events and everything, The world feels so alive and is gorgeous.

So happy I got this game :$

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

The game is pretty awesome for the first 2400 hours, then it gets a bit old after since the updates weren’t very substantial (though it seems to be getting better recently). But the content on release was really good, at least.

Pangu.7053

The game is pretty awesome for the first 2400 hours, then it gets a bit old after since the updates weren’t very substantial (though it seems to be getting better recently). But the content on release was really good, at least.

2400 hours of entertainment for $25? Sounds like a bloody good deal.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is.

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

It is.

I have played for 1200 hours… so I guess my fun is already half over

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

My philosophy is $1 for each hour.

I’ve played for nearly 3000 hours, so I’ve definitely met the threshold of GW2 being fun. Although I play it more as a chore than for fun (mostly because my internet has been hiccuping for the past few months, which makes it hard to enjoy GW2).

Posted by: Megastorm.6219

Megastorm.6219

Guild Wars 2 is a vast sub-culture fan base of; technology, fantasy, large scale warring faction fights, duels to the death, fully worthwhile down time filling, open world exploration with constant additions to story and maps, rich graphics type of game on a level you won’t find without a subscription fee elsewhere.