New PC for W3

New PC for W3

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dreamer.9072

Dreamer.9072

Hi, trying to decide on a new PC which is capable of playing W3 at max or near max graphics with 30-40fps.
Seen a couple with some potential:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-246-OE

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-317-OE&groupid=43&catid=2385&subcat=
I’m looking to spend under £1000 if possible, so do you think either of these would do, or any other suggestions?

New PC for W3

Posted by: Kobal.5234

Kobal.5234

If you have a bit of knowledge about computer parts or know someone who does, build it yourself. That way you’ll spend a lot less money for the same result. Pre-built computers are overpriced to a point where I honestly have to /facepalm hard and use weird components. Like a stock cooler instead of a £15 decent one and 16GB RAM (hint: for a gaming rig you don’t need 16GB. At all. Ever. 8GB max and even that is just to be on the safe side if you tend to run everything simultaniously). And that’s not even going into motherboards, GFX cards and the like.

The rigs you linked are by no means bad. Just overpriced and stocked with typical marketing components that don’t benefit you at all.

Also note that with online gaming, slowed FPS doesn’t always mean that your computer is at fault. There’s server lag, client-side connection lag, shoddy ISPs, etc etc. That being said, either of the options you posted should be able to handle anything GW2 throws at you and then some.

In summary; Give £1000 to someone who knows what (s)he’s doing, and you’ll get a rig that’ll blow your mind for the next 4 years (if purely built for current-gen games such as GW2, you’ll need a lot less money :P).

New PC for W3

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Dreamer.

When i was building my rig months ago i also looked at the website u linked. However out of the 4 i used it was the most expensive. I Sugest u look at:

Novatech.co.uk
Dabs.com
Scan.co.uk

Novatech is the best as delivery tends to be free with expensive items. And if u buy enough and spend enough..if u get in contact with them via email they might be able to sort u out a custom deal with the price.

Do build it urself, as u will likely save money and/or get better parts.

if you HAVE to chose form thosel inks though i would highly recomened getting the Titan 8900i as it has a pre OC’d CPU to what u need for 30 fps minimum in WvW, and a good GPU.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

New PC for W3

Dreamer.9072

Thanks guys some good info,
@Kobal I’ve never built a PC myself, the most I’ve done is upgrade a graphics card and RAM a couple of years ago when i used a PC instead of a laptop.
I did think about doing it myself, but honestly it seemed safer to pay a bit extra and know it was going to work out of the box, may email them and see if they could give me the reduced RAM though and a couple of other things to lower the price^^.
@SolaNova Thanks, I’ll certainly check those sites out, any recommendations on what i should be looking for? Such as whether it’s worth getting an i7 with a gtx 680 or an i5 with an OC’d 670 would do?

After looking at Novatech I found something which is a fair bit cheaper and looks like it’d do me well, currently emailing them to see if they’d change a few specs but even if they don’t it looks promising
http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti36.html

(edited by Dreamer.9072)

New PC for W3

SolarNova.1052

A 2nd/3rd generation Intel i5 K would be perfectly fine for GW2. so would a 670 GPU.

The novatech link looks good but the CPU is not a K version which means No OC’ing. if they would change some things, try get them to put a K version of the cpu in, its more expensive but worth it(or to ofset the price go down to a i5 3570 but a K version). Also find out what cpu cooler they will use, the Coolmaster Evo212 is relativly cheap and good for OC’ing. The 660 will do but tbh i would try for the 660ti.

All this talk about OC’ing is becouse GW2 requirs atleats a 4.5ghz OC to not drop below 30fps.

Basscialy i will be building a computer for my old man (dad) later this year, and what u r looking at with those modification i sugest is what ill be building him(more or less), and it will cost a little under £1000. it will run GW2 as good as can be done asuming its OC’ed.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

New PC for W3

Dreamer.9072

Found a PC from novatech I think i’m going to buy, i7 3770k, GTX 670 etc
http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti37.html
Seems like a fair price for a good set of specs.
Edit: When i asked about customization of their rigs, they said they’d do it, but it’d be £60 for it, which doesn’t seem worth it to just change 1 or 2 pieces.

New PC for W3

SolarNova.1052

Looks like a good choice.

I can only asume that the only bad things it will have is probably a cheaper make PSU and Motherboard ..but u gotta expect that from prebuilt computers..its how they make their money.
The main things though is that the CPU is a 3770K and the GPU is a 670..both of which r great.

I think if u get that u will be happy.