New player. Help!

New player. Help!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: FuzzBoss.7342

FuzzBoss.7342

Hello!
I’ve had gw2 for awhile now but I consider myself a new player. I got one level 80 warrior but I can’t decide if hes boring to play or is it that I don’t have anything to do. I do sometimes think that the combat is to slow for my part. I’ve searched for things to do in this game but I haven’t found anything that really marks my interest. I do like farming gold but I can’t have just gold farming in my mind cause that will lead me crazy. What did you do as a new player to make yourself stick to the game and what was your long/medium/short time goals.

Sincerly FuzzBoss

New player. Help!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I definitely think you should try some other professions. Warrior is probably the most straight-forward to play, which can sometimes make combat seem boring. I like playing an engineer and an elementalist because both require a lot more buttons, swapping attunements on the ele and kits on the engi, and it makes combat feel more exciting to me.

As for things to do it really depends on what interests you. I know some people who love World vs. World and pretty much only do that, because they say fighting real people means the combat is always interesting. Whereas I think because your goals are always the same – you’re taking over the same camps and towers and keeps day after day, week after week I get bored if I do it for more than a little bit at a time. I prefer exploring the PvE maps, sometimes literally just to see if I can reach a specific point even if I know there’s no reward for doing it, and playing through the story. And other people like doing all the dungeons and raiding. Or even just buying and selling on the Trading Post.

I think it’s a good idea to try a bit of everything and see what appeals to you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

New player. Help!

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/newplayers#sidebar2
Scroll down to “Got to 80, what now?”

New player. Help!

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

What you end up enjoying at high levels will depend on lot on YOU. Me, I enjoy collecting and exploring, but don’t enjoy PvP or sticking to schedules (as is common in raiding).

What I enjoy then is achievement-hunting, leveling multiple characters to 80, experimenting with my characters’ builds, map completion, collecting item skins, doing the various solo stories (which I rarely do while leveling), joining the world boss train (somewhere in the world, a giant world boss is spawning roughly every 15 minutes), jumping puzzles, leveling the crafting professions (cooking is easily my favorite…and offers some very useful buffs), and so on.

New player. Help!

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

Oh! I forgot. Like Danikat mentioned, definitely try another class. I think warrior is one of two classes I have yet to find a liking for (along with the hunter/druid). My personal favorite so far is the thief. They can work with either power or condition damage competently (though I believe power builds are FAVORED, you don’t have to go that route). They have a lot of dodgy abilities. They have a lot of quick-firing attacks. The daredevil specialization just adds to it – more dodges+mobility, a TON of blue-bar-breaking options, deal damage WHILE you dodge, etc.

Other classes I’ve enjoyed include the necromancer (many different fun build options, hard to kill with their reaper/whatever-it’s-called form).

Engineers have a TON of combat options in their toolkits (it’s like having up to 6 weapon swap options available).

Elementalists tend to be squishier than other classes, but are fairly popular and have some fun build options. They’re great at dealing out tons of damage. They have a fair amount to learn if you want to master them – you only get one weapon set (no swapping), but you have a different set of fighting options per weapon per element (of the four elements).

Mesmer was a lot of fun to level as well…but I can’t fully endorse it as I’m still experimenting with that class at endgame.

I’d recommend trying thief for their more mobile fighting style, but I’m biased.

(edited by JackOfAllGames.2409)

New player. Help!

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

You should really find what you enjoy most.
Engineer got me into this game but I hate Scrapper with a passion.

Later I wanted someting that matches my real-life style, so I could not decide between Thief and Necromancer, but finally found my profession in this game. It all now works perfectly together, class, gameplay, my race, weapons available. If you get your favourite class, you can also ignore some of the minor problems.

GW2 really offers something for every taste. Take the time. When you see that you’re embracing your professions skills and an inner joy is rising while playing you’re right. It’s exactly what happened to me when I dove into the Thief profession. Everytime I dodge, the sound, the visuals, the fact I can do it thrice just makes me happy; everytime I steal from someone or shadowstep I know that I really do not care about anything else.

About my long-time goals? I am a Lone Wolf, and I make slow progress. There is more stuff added than I can complete in time. If I could finally not just glide, but also adjust the speed during gliding, that is for example something I work towards to. Else I am simply wandering around, discovering the world and try to kill anything that causes mad beef with my Asura.

In this game, you can do what you please unlike other games that force stuff on you (FF14, hello!).

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)