New player looking for friends and advice!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tub.2975

Tub.2975

Hey there!

So i played Guildwars 2 for a short while around release but never really had much time to put into it. After a long long time i have decided to make my return to the game but i have absolutely no idea how anything in the game works and what i should be doing. I would love to be able to make a friend or maybe a group of friends who are willing to help me out with advice and showing me the ropes and maybe help me with picking a profession. I want something that is not too complicated to play and can be used for PvE content.

Thanks in advance and i hope to hear from all of you in this lovely community soon

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Welcome back to the game!

My advice would be to start a new character. Keep any you’ve got already, but make a new one and level them up. A lot of the lower level stuff is designed to introduce you to how the game works, and you’ll get pop-ups each time you reach a new level with some items and info on different mechanics.

Also feel free to ask about anything you don’t understand, either on here or in-game. The Wiki is a good resource too, and can be accessed in-game by typing /wiki [thing you want to search for] in chat.

You should also log into each of your existing characters at least once. One of the new features added after release is the Wardrobe which saves the appearance of any weapons and armour you obtain. If you log into your characters all their equipment will be added to the wardrobe.

I also recommend joining a guild. You can find guilds either by asking in-game or on the forum and it’s a good way of getting a consistent group of people to play with.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tub.2975

Tub.2975

Hey and thank you for the tips. I was plannning on making a new character for sure, any reccomendation for a beginner?

Posted by: RainiDay.8704

RainiDay.8704

Whats up, just scrolled through the forum for the exakt same reason as you did Tub. Bought the game on release and played for 1 week and then suddenly stopped, but getting right back in now! :)
So if you are interested in joining arms in combat, hit me up.

Best regards, new player

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Easy classes:
Warrior, Ranger and Necromancer, Necromancer is in a difficult spot in certain content atm though. Warrior and Ranger have decent end game options at this time. BUT future updates will likely change this, though not radically is my best guess…

Other sugegstions:
you could use your birthday boosters, use instant leveling scorlls from birthdays, use food. use utility consumables, use boosters, use the guild boon if you do own HoT. Use guild banners. Well… and have fun.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Guardian, necromancer, ranger, warrior are easy professions to just pick up and go. very self reliant and can take some hits or have a pet tank for them. an important thing is to not rush to max level. take your time, learn as you go, explore as much as possible. might be beneficial later on if you decide to take on map completion.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: voltaicbore.8012

voltaicbore.8012

Ranger (which can grow up to be a druid, if you end up buying HoT), is an extremely forgiving class. While leveling, do yourself a favor and run a dps pet (any of the cat family pets will do) instead of a bear, initially. It should teach you to rely on pet swaps and smart(ish) play to keep your pet alive and useful, and also the value of killing faster (or using other defensive countermeasures) instead of trying to outlast hits.

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

One thing I can add to this is explore! At least with one character, take your time around the maps. Talk to people, read text, do each new event you come across, and explore the map. There are some achievements you can unlock, it helps with map completion, and there are so many details on the world that you miss out on if you just breeze through focusing on story or event only content.

Also: grab all crafting materials you can find. If you don’t end up needing them yourself for crafting, you can always turn and sell the stuff on the TP. Higher tier and rare stuff sells.

If you have questions of any sort or need a hand with something, don’t be afraid to give me a shout in game!

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

Just to add my 2 cents:

Welcome back to the game! From what I’ve learned, Warrior is a nice class for beginners as well as Guardian. I recently capped a Necromancer and turned him into a Reaper and LOVED the gameplay, but the way there was rather sloggy imho. Pew-pew ranger I found rather boring. I told my pet to attack, unloaded my barrage and kept on pew-pewing and thought “So that’s it?”. However, things churned up a bit once you learn how to swap weapons (Lv10) and pop barrage and then swoop in to maul the enemy with your greatsword.

So after all, I’d say go Warrior, Ranger or Guard. If you’re masochist and like hitting things for ages before they go down, go Necro :P

Edit: And do yourself the favor and don’t just run from POI to waypoint and so on but explore like you naturally would. You see a mighty tower bathed in flame and instead go to the invisible POI that’s in the opposite direction? Yeah right If you do it naturally, you’ll feel much more immersed rather than just completing a check-list. That is, if immersion is your thing

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

(edited by Plautze.6290)

Posted by: Nick Reit.9462

Nick Reit.9462

Hey man! I’m in the same sort of situation. Would you possibly want to start up a new character with me soon? Let me know!