New player looking for server

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Korvil.2836

Korvil.2836

Just recently bought Guild Wars 2 the other day and I was hoping to find out if there was another un-official roleplay servers, like Tarnished Coast? Sadly it seems that the server is constantly full, 24hrs of the day, so it is kitten near impossible for me to get a character made on that server. If anyone can help me out here that’d be awesome. I’d really hate to have had paid 50$ for a game I won’t, personally, fully enjoy.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Tarnished coast and Piken Square are the only RP-ing servers.
TC is the only Northern America (NA) RP-server
Piken Square is the only European (EU) RP-server

TC is very very hard to get into. You need to be very lucky in the midst of night and there might be a 4 minute window in wich it isnt marked as full. So it means many restless nights I’m afraid.

What you can do however is guest to TC form any other NA server. Guesting means you are limited in particiapting in guild-resources if your guild is primarly on TC and you can’t participate in WvWvW on behalf of TC.

Piken Square is open for new players, but from your post I think your not from Europe??

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Korvil.2836

Well what all does guesting entail? If I get all the regular benefits from having a character on TC, besides the World versus World stuff, then that’s fine.

And nope I am an NA-EC player, but at this point I might just make a character on the Piken Square.

It’s really annoying to me that they would lock out a server like this, I mean it doesn’t even seem like I can do a pain transfer there :c.

Korvil.2836

paid transfer* even

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You also won’t get guild bank access or WvW benefits while guesting. However you will be able to RP your heart out. My guild has two members guesting from elsewhere that are quite involved in our plotlines.

ANet didn’t lock out TC, TC simply attracted so many players that it’s pretty perma-full. There’s not much ANet can do about that at this point; if they’d designated two NA RP servers at the start there’d be more room. But how were they to know? Also the RP community would have been quite torn about where to go, TC having been selected by gw2roleplayers.com ’s thousands of members before launch, many of whom had intricate plots going on forums before beta even began.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Well what all does guesting entail? If I get all the regular benefits from having a character on TC, besides the World versus World stuff, then that’s fine.

And nope I am an NA-EC player, but at this point I might just make a character on the Piken Square.

It’s really annoying to me that they would lock out a server like this, I mean it doesn’t even seem like I can do a pain transfer there :c.

Guesting means you can’t enter World versus World and you don’t have access to guildbonusses like +15% magic find for 24 hours. You can participate in guildmissions and get the reward, but you can’t initiate them.

This all are minor disadvantages in my opinion. The biggest disadvantage is that everytime when you go through the character selection screen (starting the game, changing character, rebooting, etc) you have to click world selection, select the right world, click guest and say that you are sure. This can get really annoying in the longterm.

If you want to go that way and want to pay for it, get a gemcard for 2000 gems. go guesting and keep watching moments you can do a world transfer. if the moment is there, quickly redeem the gemcard and do the transfer.

You can always save up the gems. But as a frequent guester I know I have been happy many times I didn’t have (enough) gems on my account when i was guesting cause the world transfer button is right next to the guesting button.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I’m on TC, and I have heard from a few people there that Anvil Rock has become more popular for roleplaying (but don’t take my word on it, perhaps someone from AR could provide insight?).

Posted by: rojagooner.4618

rojagooner.4618

Just picked up the game tonight and it’s currently downloading. Just a quick question, is it a queue system that Tarnished Coast (and other high pop realm) has? What’s the average wait time to get in? Thanks!

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Server populations are based on player accounts on that server and not current online populations. There are no wait times to log into the server. However, each zone is separate from each other so if a zone gets full on a server, you will load into a overflow zone and play with other players thrown into the overflow. This overflow zone is exactly the same as the normal one. When you are in the overflow, you are put into a queue to load back into your server and a pop up will show when you can.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I’m in Piken Square, didn’t even realize that it was an RP server. I have seen alot of ‘m in Divinity’s Reach though :p.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To clarify on kokocabana’s point, while there is no login queue to get in, that’s once you have your account settled on the server. If you are trying to join the server in the first place, you need to refresh a lot (maybe restart the launcher a lot? I’m not sure, I’ve never swapped servers and only guested once). I have a WoW friend who just joined TC and says it took him an hour of refreshing to find an opening. I’ve heard of others that never find it open in a week of trying. Make the attempt at very non-peak hours for your best shot.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Server populations are based on player accounts on that server and not current online populations.

Evidence says otherwise, actually- a server’s population status (Very High, Full, etc) is based upon the number of players logged in. There is a gap each day where TC is most likely to not be full, which occurs at a time of day fewer players are playing. During the busiest travel day of the year, I logged on and saw that across the board, server populations had dropped.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread