New player - need help in key bindings

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: PrinceWarhero.4256

PrinceWarhero.4256

Hello all , first of all i am new to this game and I love it so much. I am happy that i bought the game atleast now..

This is my first MMORPG , i have only player single player and multiplayer games that conventionally follow the keyboard to move and mouse to attack style. And this game clearly cant be played in that way.

I find it very difficult to keep moving and attack/use skill at same time. Also i find it very difficult to quickly place AOE skills. If any1 could tell me a good set of key bindings so that i can move and fight easily it would be very gr8. I am currently using the default ones with the double tap to evade enabled . Also please tell me what kind of assists i should turn on in the settings.

Thanks in advance.

Returning player looking for lots of adventure, join me and we can journey together in Tyria !!

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

A lot of key bindings sadly are down to personal preference, but for what it’s worth here’s what helped me:
-invert strafing and camera turn defaults to get a more ‘normal’ WASD movement type
-disable double-tap dodge and keep it to a key (can’t remember if it’s the default, but I use V), so as to avoid dumb mistakes like accidentally double-tapping in the middle of a jumping puzzle and dodging down to your death
-there’s an option to make targeting more fluid by no longer requiring it to be confirmed with a click but to either instantly drop the skill wherever your mouse pointer currently is or to show the target circle only while you’re pressing down the key and to drop the skill when you release, which I find helps a lot with the whole using skills while moving thing

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t know if this will help but as someone who has always failed WASD (between being savagely right handed and having too many other keys nearby, I just can’t get it down) I got myself a Naga HEX and bound the arrow-move keys to the side buttons. With those along with the good old hold-both-main-buttons-to-move and then mouse steer, I have movement covered with my right hand and only need to fire off one-button abilities with my left.

It does slow me down on dropping targeted aoe, though, as all my mouse-moving tosses my cursor around … and I can’t move while moving the cursor where I want to go. But as I don’t PvP, all is good.

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

Not sure if this will help you out, but I have always moved my WASD control keys to ESDF in every MMORPG I have played. I always change my left-right “turn” keys to “strafe” instead and this leaves me with more keys around my movement control keys to bind to other commands.

I have found keybinds to be a very personal preference though, so you might need to experiment a bit and find what works for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

Like people before me have said, it’s a personal preference more than anything. Here’s what I’ve done:

First, I have an MMO mouse (one with buttons on the side), specifically the Logitech G600. This is NOT NECESSARY, but it’s a purchase I am happy with. Not trying to sell it, just saying what my setup is like.
The first five thumb buttons (G9 through G13 if you look at this picture) trigger my weapon skills (default 1-5 on the keyboard). Further, on the other side of the mouse is a large section you can press down, kind of like an extra mouse button (you can see the indenture for it here, to the right of the right mouse button). This acts pretty much the same way as holding CTRL or Shift would on your keyboard, and by holding down this section and pressing the first four buttons on the thumb side (again G9 through G12), I can activate my utility and elite skills (default 7-0 on the keyboard). In this way, I can activate just about any of my skills from my mouse, without changing my grip in the slightest.
For the keyboard, to start with, I’ve completely unbound “turn left” and “turn right” – I turn exlusively via holding the right mouse button (occasionally plus left mouse button, if I want to run without holding W). I’ve also moved the strafe keys down one, so that my movement keys are W/S for move forward/backward, and A/D for strafe left/right.
Now there are really only three main functions I haven’t mentioned yet – profession-specific skills, dodging and healing. Profession skills (like Steal for the thief, pet controls for the ranger, or the toolbelt for the engineer) are accessible with 1-4 on the keyboard, easily within reach of my left hand. Q is my healing skill button. And finally, I’ve got dodge/evade on my E key. I can also dodge with middle mouse button should I need it.

And that’s my setup. It bears repeating, hotkeys are very personal and it’s up to you what you feel is efficient and, most importantly, comfortable.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

Posted by: PrinceWarhero.4256

PrinceWarhero.4256

Thank you every1 for the help , i will try various ones and keep which suits me

Returning player looking for lots of adventure, join me and we can journey together in Tyria !!