New player needs help with slot skills

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Pookie.4079

Pookie.4079

I’ve played many RPG’s but this is my first MMO game and I am having to learn by trial and much error. In the beginning I thought that I had to select all the skills on the lower levels before I could select those on the next level up so I have some that I never use and not enough points for some of the higher skills which would be more useful. Is there a way to reset skills – like the traits which can be reset at a Guardian trainer?

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Just get more skill points, it isn’t hard to do. Besides most people get every skill in the end anyway…

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Pookie.4079

does one still get skill and trait points after reaching level 80? I am on level 71.

Posted by: IamALie.8190

IamALie.8190

You get 1 skill point every time you level while you’re level 80.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Also, every time you complete a skill challenge, you receive 1 skill point.

(Bear in mind that you might also need skill points to buy ingredients for high-end Mystic Forge recipes. Which explains why there is no ceiling to the number of skill points you may earn through experience/leveling.)

Pookie.4079

I have got the impression that lvl 80 is as high as it goes. If one carries on playing do you still get trait points and skill points after you have reached this level? There is so much I don’t know and I have been just winging it and finding out as I play.

Pookie.4079

have no clue about high-end mystic forge recipes – guess I’ll have to find that out by default as well.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

After you reach level 80, you will continue to gain experience, and will continue to “level up”. However, each time this happens, you ONLY receive 1 skill point. Your ability scores no longer go up, and you no longer receive trait points.

The Mystic Forge can be quite expensive to experiment with. I would advise you to look up what it can be used for on the Guild Wars 2 wiki (or perhaps to ask specific questions on this forum).
Link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_forge

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Don’t worry, there is a lot to discover in this game and there is a lot you will not now about even when you will hit 80.

Yes, level 80 is the level cap, so you won’t gain any level when you reach it, but you will still get experience and every new “level” simply grants you a skill point.

As for mystic forge, it is still a very less known principle but all you need to know to start experimenting in in this page of the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_forge

Edit: Jornophelanthas beat me to it, sorry for the double post…

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

Pookie.4079

Ahh, thanks so much – I won’t panic about my skills then – any idea how I get the hounds that do not have any skill costs next to them – elite skill. I am playing alone and could really do with a fighting partner – used the sword to help when getting group mugged but now that it can be easily destroyed could use a pet viscious hound.

Sacrai.6280

If you are speaking about the Mistfire Wolf, it is a skill that was provided only with the deluxe edition of GW2. If you are speaking about the Hounds of Balthazar, it will cost you 30 skill points and will be unlocked after you took at least 2 elite skills (10 points each).

Pookie.4079

I’ve taken all of the elite skills especially because I thought that would unlock the hound but I still havn’t got my pet dog! the icon has not lit up so I assume that the hound is not available.

Pookie.4079

Okay – as usual I squealed before I read your reply. Is there any way I can purchase the Mistfire wolf – I don’t have the deluxe edition of GW2?

Sacrai.6280

Exactly, click on my link about the Mistfire Wolf and you will see why. Hounds of Balthazar are available only if you are human, I take it this is not your race…

Pookie.4079

happily I am playing a human guardian so when I get 30 points together I will get my dogs.

Sacrai.6280

I don’t think there is a way to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition but I might be wrong.

I think I remember from other posts from you that you are playing a guardian. If you like the idea of pets, look into the living Arms skills, you might find it pleasant not to fight alone anymore…

Edit: Gee, I should really refresh before replying, posts are flying fast here…

Pookie.4079

I did say I was ignorant didn’t I? Living Arms skills????

Sacrai.6280

Got the name wrong (I am a french-speaking player). The real name is Spirit Weapons: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Weapon

Pookie.4079

Who’d believe, your English is very good. I already use a spirit sword – it used to be imune to damage but now it gets wiped out pretty easily. Thanks for all your help – back to the game.

Posted by: IamALie.8190

IamALie.8190

You can upgrade to the Deluxe Edition using gems in the TP. So if you really really want that Mistfire Wolf, get ready to either spend money or make some gold to convert to gems.

Pookie.4079

Okay – good news – now if you could just tell me – what is the TP? Sorry I am not very familiar with all the abreviations.

Sacrai.6280

TP stands for Trading Post. It’s accessible from the ‘o’ key in game. And according to the Guardian forum, Spirit weapon are no longer good skills, except for the shield.

Pookie.4079

Thanks everyone – you’ve really helped a lot.

Pookie.4079

I got my Wolf – thanks all – hope he is worth it.