New player progression wvw pvp

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lifeson.9036

Lifeson.9036

Tried the free trial 3 weeks ago, got addicted, bought the game, levelled a character to 80 and really enjoyed it (seemed really easy but was very relaxing and fun to play).
Have read about game mechanics when I can, still learning the ropes really, researching builds etc.

However, I am now in HoT and don’t really like it much at all. Hate jumping and gliding to get places, all seems confusing too. Got an inventory full of stuff that I’m bored sifting through to be honest.

Haven’t played MMOs for years but what attracted me mainly to keep going here was to get into the WvW (hoping I could scratch the old itch from DAoC days). I have little interest in raid content.

Basic question is…can a total scrub like me get anywhere in this 4 yr old game by forgetting HoT and also not doing raid content ? I’m prepared to be destroyed in pvp and wvw when i do it at first but is there any way a casual like me can eventually gear up a bit while just doing wvw and pvp to get to at least an average level of effectiveness ?

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Fortunately out-gearing one’s opponent in WvW and PvP in Guild Wars is pretty minimal. For PvP there is no gear – everyone is on equal ground. For WvW, gear does matter, but it is very easy to get exotic (orange) gear with gold, dungeon tokens, WvW badges of honor, karma, or other currencies, which will give you a very, very good start.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Posted by: Lifeson.9036

Lifeson.9036

“Fortunately out-gearing one’s opponent in WvW and PvP in Guild Wars is pretty minimal”

That sounds very encouraging thanks.

Posted by: atticus.5284

atticus.5284

You absolutely can. There are a lot of players that play almost exclusively PvP and/or WvW (I only WvW). A few years ago when I started playing and gearing up, I was forced to PvE to get equipment, etc. and most recently had to play HoT for durability runes.

Now with the reward tracks and heroics dealers newer players can gear up much easier in WvW including runes, etc.