New player - what class?

New player - what class?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Hyb.1847

Hyb.1847

Hello
Im a new GW2 player, game is great, but i can’t decide what class is best for me. I always play as DPS class (magic/ranged/melee – it dosnt metter for me, just great DPS). I’m looking for a DPS class that is usefull in all aspects of game (dungeons/fratcals/pvp/wvw). This profession can be hard to learn/master. I’m mostly pve gamer but i like to pvp too. I have got lvl 17 ele now, but i don’t feel this proffesion is good for me (I don’t like this mechanic of changing from fire to earth etc. and I prefer “dark magic” casters over “nature” casters). I think about thief/daredevil and mesmer/chronomancer.

I want class that is USEFULL, not BEST (it can be best in one aspect, but must be good in other aspect too).

What would You suggest for me?

Sry for bad english.

New player - what class?

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Mesmer is hard to master, and good to great in every game mode. As a downside, you don’t have the raw power of the ele or other classes. You influence the world more subtly (but the effect can be just as strong, if not stronger).

Mesmer is not so fun to level, since the best stuff comes only when you have chronomancer unlocked.

Mesmer fits the dark magic caster type partially; while there is definitely a dark theme, it’s also pink butterfiles everywhere.

Thief is even harder to master imo. Especially in dps gear (that you will be expected to use in instanced content) you have very little HP, and you need to actively evade pretty much all attacks. So you need to know the fights well.

Thief is probably best in WvW. In PvP and PvE you don’t see thief very often, and the forums are filled with complaints how bad thief is.

If you don’t plan to go with the elite groups, you could also put more tanky gear on thief, and do just fine.

Maybe you could also consider necromancer (the primary dark magic caster), but I don’t have experience with that class.

(edited by saturn.4810)

New player - what class?

Posted by: Hyb.1847

Hyb.1847

And what about Revenant? Is he good? Looks intresting

New player - what class?

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

Reve is like a mix of warrior and guardian, does more dmg as guard, not as high as warr but close enough, limited to a single and very slow range weapon but as herald it has the best buff stacking of all classes.

If you are unsure of what class to play, you can always just create one and enter spvp. You will be jumped instantly to lv 80 there and be provided with gear and runes/sigils (only inside that map) to have a glimpse of each class gameplay at lv 80

New player - what class?

Posted by: zakuruchi.4086

zakuruchi.4086

Melee DPS i’d say Revenant. It’s useful in any PVE, decent in WvW/PVP. Their movement speed is not the best though, so you might be a bit slow moving around the world map until you get Herald (which is level 80).

Ranged DPS engineer or ele are the best, but they both use a lot of kit/attunement swapping, which you said you don’t like.

New player - what class?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think there are any choices less than ‘good’. At superior levels of play, a few classes fill certain roles better than others; a lot of players will never be able to take advantage of those differences, though. Further, to be really good at your role, it helps to have a fundamental understanding of all classes (even if not at an expert level) — it’s not just knowing your opponent in pvp, it’s also knowing your allies and maximizing the team’s collective effectiveness.

So instead of trying to figure out which class you want to finalize, I recommend that you start 5 (or 3 if you are play-for-free). Over time, you’ll find that you focus on one prof over the other and that’s the one you should ‘main’ (then you can come back to the others later).

If you follow that strategy, my recommendations would be:

• Mesmer or Ele: these are light armor classes that can fight near and at range, bring utility or damage. Ele is a traditional sort of caster and mesmer very non-traditional.
  • Warrior or Guardian: these heavy classes can both dish out damage up close and are less stellar at range. Both can bring utility, too. Warrior is a very traditional, erm, warrior type of class; guardian is something of a blend between that and a caster.
  • Thief or Revenant: both these classes have all sorts of interesting tricks and superior play from these profs requires superior skill. Thief is more of an assassin and the rev… well, it’s an interesting mix of archetypes.

(I left out Ranger and Engineer only because I think those profs are harder for most people to get into — the ranger, because it has some specific quirks that some people can’t get past; the engineer, because it takes some serious skill to be just mediocre. They are both good choices for a fourth and fifth slot, if you pick your first three from above.)

tl;dr you can’t go wrong with your choice and I recommend starting with several and figure out which one grows on you.

(PS Your English is quite good. )

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

New player - what class?

Posted by: beefjus.9347

beefjus.9347

I get where you’re coming from OP. But sadly, it all boils down to what class mechanics you end up liking the most. Because while an Engineer can arguably be deemed as the most useful class to have in a group, it still boils down to player skill and playstyle.

For example, I have an Engineer that I enjoy playing once in a while, but I do not enjoy playing it for a long time, cause I find the constant kit switching and ground targeting tiring. I do, however, absolutely enjoy playing my Guardian, no matter what spec I run…sadly, it’s not the most efficient DPS class I can offer my guild, and that’s why I currently main a Revenant. While his playstyle is basically a hodge-podge of Warrior/Guardian/Thief, I still find the class both useful and fun to play.

With that said, I strongly suggest trying each class out to find your niche. Remember that you’re playing the game because you want to have fun, regardless of what some toxic folks may tell you.

PS: I’d suggest trying a Guardian out though…Just because it’s my favorite class. Haha!

Current Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Beefjus/saved/WBx323
Planning on upgrading to a GTX980ti by late 2016

(edited by beefjus.9347)

New player - what class?

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Heavy classes. Warrior, guas, revs have some serious dps+team utility

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

New player - what class?

Posted by: Circling Skies.1872

Circling Skies.1872

the key to any class is to actually play it straight and learn the skills as you get them. Don’t try to rush level them cause then you will have all the skills unlocked but no idea what they do. I made an Engineer and used tomes to level it up and then felt completely lost on how to actually play it ????.

New player - what class?

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I love Revenant and they are definitely useful. It isn’t terribly complex, though, compared to something like elementalist or engineer. A lot of Revenant damage comes from autoattacking, which is one of my favorite things about it, but some find it boring,

Your interest in “dark magic” types screams Reaper, but I’m not sure what the current attitude toward them in various game modes is (for a long period of time necros were not wanted in many groups).