New to GW2/MMORPG - no money & no weapons.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: shikan.6580

shikan.6580

Q:

Hi,

I’m new to GW2 and to MMORPGs (this is my first). I’m level 6 elementalist, in the queensdale bit and while experimenting with the trading post, I sold my scepter and bought a bunch of stuff so now I have no coins left. Now I only have the trident which apparently is supposed to only work underwater (?) so I’m not able to attack anyone or buy the weapon back. facepalm

I’m used to being able to reload a previous save to get out of errors like this one – this is new to me! Do I have to restart with a new character?

Also – any links to a good newb guide?

Edit – I tried searching the forums but for some reason the forum search doesn’t work regardless of what I search for.

(edited by shikan.6580)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

A:

Hey shikan and welcome to the wonderful world of MMORPGs.

You’re in a sticky position for sure. If you already did purchase any gathering tools (sickle, axe or mining pick), harvest a couple of nodes and sell the result in the Trading Post. With one harvest you should have enough money to buy a new land-based weapon.

If you don’t have any harvesting tools, you can ask people in map chat to send you enough money for a starter weapon, or go to one of the places in queensdale where there is an underwater area. Kill a few mobs and you should get enough money for a starter weapon.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: shikan.6580

shikan.6580

Thanks! I’ll find some copper.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can complete many heart quests (yellow heart symbol on the map) without any combat. These then reward copper coins and karma, both of which can be used to purchase new weapons. (The karma you get automatically, the coins are delivered by mail.)

Check the list here for heart quests at or below your level:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Queensdale

Also if you’ve already completed some and haven’t already spent the karma you might already have enough to buy a weapon from one of the vendors in Divinity’s Reach or a dagger from Lexi in the Altar Brook Trading Post.

For future reference it’s a good idea to have at least 2 bags (you will get a 5 slot bag at some point early in your Personal Story) and keep anything important in the lower one to reduce the chance of selling it off accidentally. Later on you can craft or buy invisible bags which stop their contents showing up in lists for merchants and the Trading Post.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Varakkys.2490

Varakkys.2490

check your in game email
;)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

small advice, always make sure you have some money available.
There is a lot of debate bout this, but I do the following. Each level = 1 silver.

This means that for each level 20 character you have, you should keep a reserve of 20 silver. and for each level 80 (level cap) this means 80 silver reserve. This means you never run out of money in case you need repairs, waypoint, gathering tools, salvage kit, or made a mistake like you did.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

check your in game email
;)

can i has some cookie too

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

That sounds like a really interesting problem to get round. I might try doing it to see how many ways there are to recover.

A level 6 is no great loss – I’ve created and deleted dozens of toons around that level.

There’s karma – you must have a bit stashed away. You could go into WvW and sit on some siege to make some karma and maybe loot. Jumping Puzzles are quite lucrative… There’s probably a dozen ways.
lol! There are even environmental weapons – you could pick up a rock and bash something’s head in!

I’m just curious what you bought that’s so useless you can’t trade it back.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

no weapon, so no attacking. however, level 6! utility skills. assuming you still have the skill point, or used it on an offensive skill, you can kill a low level mob with it. do this a few times and you’ll have enough copper for a weapon. white weapons from merchants are about 40c-60c.
oh, jumping puzzles! just do one and you should get equipment and gems enough to get the weapon of your choice. I recommend the one behind the waterfall in Lion’s Arch.
quickest way I can think is just say you are flat broke and ask for a silver in map chat.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

no weapon, so no attacking. however, level 6! utility skills. assuming you still have the skill point, or used it on an offensive skill, you can kill a low level mob with it. do this a few times and you’ll have enough copper for a weapon. white weapons from merchants are about 40c-60c.
oh, jumping puzzles! just do one and you should get equipment and gems enough to get the weapon of your choice. I recommend the one behind the waterfall in Lion’s Arch.
quickest way I can think is just say you are flat broke and ask for a silver in map chat.

Environmental weapons.
I am certainly not in that situation but I like to do the event in Queensdale with the ruined grapes so I can run around whacking things with ruined grapes on my Asura …

Posted by: samski.5194

samski.5194

That is a good way to start earning cash from level 25 upwards, you will earn almost as much as max level players who solo farm mobs from it and it will give you some exp while you do it.