New to GW2 -- What should I know?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: efiremage.3218

efiremage.3218

I played a bit upon launch, but decided to wait until I had little more time to play it. I’m ready to give it a shot now. What would you recommend as an early player? What kind of social tools does GW2 incorporate.

I have a decent exposure to WoW but haven’t done any MMOs for quite some time.

Thanks,
efiremage

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

First of all, try to find some friends. the game is okay to solo but once you’ve got some people around you, the game really shines. Find a guild or just some friends and do a few missions, events and eventually dungeons with them. just chat etc.

And a bit of advice, just take it easy, don’t try to rush through the content. your first time will be the best, enjoy it!

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players

Feel free to help everyone you run into. There is no KS, ninja loot rolls, critter tagging, or any other penalties from barging into a fight.

Everyone gets their own set of resource nodes so no rush to get to an outcropping of ore, a valuable tree or plant first.

Everyone can rez a down player. You get XP if you do.

Go off the beaten path and hunt down critters there, they give you bonus XP if they’ve “lived” for a long time since they spawned.

Everyone is a one man band but some professions are a bit better at one aspect than another. There is no trinity, no “healer”.

Learn to move while attacking and dodge is your friend.

There is only a few places you need to formally party. Most events are flash mobs, do a bit of damage and you qualify for the reward.

Almost every activity will grant you XP. It’s not just bopping things on their heads.

The Wiki is also your friend.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

As an early player my recommendations would be to explore, explore, explore and try anything/everything. There is no grind here. I tend to play solo 99% of the time (unless I want to run a dungeon or kill a massive, epic, dragon) and I am thoroughly entertained just by running around doing whatever is around or whatever comes up. Often you will discover entertaining little scenes/scenarios, minigames, jumping puzzles or rewards, just by taking your time and wandering around.

If you want to fight the massive/epic thing you see in front of you then you can type in map chat to see who is around and wants to help. People will usually come for those as it drops a chest that gives at-level gear/materials. You will find level 80 people in the starter zones for that reason. Remember that your level changes to match the zones. Any/every zone can be challenging and rewarding and drop real-level gear depending on event.

Some characters can use multiple weapons, try them all out. For some everything changes based on a certain element or utilty skill. Experiement. Eventually you will find that all that customizing is golden and you can create a totally unique set of weapons, traits, skills and playstyle that works for you. If you click H and look at all the tabs you will have a snapshot of what that class can do.

You don’t need to be level 80 to participate in everything. For PVP you will be leveled up to 80. In fact if you want to play your low level character at top level to see what it’s like, go into PVP. (You can experiment with builds/weapons without having to actually fight anyone— or do the PVP tutorial or just go-for-it and try arena. All your starter gear/weapons will be free of cost.)

If you like crafting/exploring try cooking. All the foods give buffs that add experience when leveling plus it’s just plain fun to try mix/match ingredients and discover the recipies. It’s particularly good for people who would enjoy traveling the world to locate this/that speciality ingredient. I’ve never used my professions for income so can’t speak to that.

Know that you need to upgrade the axe, pick and harvesting tool as you get to better materials. If you are trying to mine and get junk instead of the ore, you have to upgrade your tool.

If you want to try dungeons, there is no LFG system in the game but there is a website called guild wars 2 lfg dot com (all abbreviated) that works well.

If you finish a heart, always talk to the vendor that opens up. They have some great upgrades you buy with Karma, you don’t need to spend gold.

Some of the middle and end zones have become barren. You will still be able to do things in them but you may not be able to clear every single thing in them without help. Type in map chat to see if anyone is there who wants to team up for something tough. Often they are in the same boat and appreciate the group. I’m told the drops are better in groups anyway.

My characters are all different races and classes and I can’t say that any one is better than they other. They are all very different which I enjoy. I did especially enjoy my Sylvari charcter story and love my Asura gestures/emotes. Know that Sylvari glow during all the night cycles and in dark places. Play with the light switch in the character creation screen if you make one.

Participate in all the Living Content and Holiday Events you can, they are usually very entertaining with at least one challenging event in them.

Sorry for the wall of text, I guess I like the game. LOL

(edited by Zoria.1392)

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

There aren’t many social tools in game yet, aside from a friends list and a guild mate list.

There are two sites that are helpful for checking on/grouping though.

gw2lfg.com
You can search or post by dungeon or other activity, just be careful you/look in the correct region (USA can’t group with EU). Dungeons can be done at the first level they are introduced (lvl 30 or 35, if I recall for the first story dungeon). It will be harder, and it may be hard to find a group that will want a non-80, but not impossible. But there’s also no rush to do dungeons either if you don’t like them.

gw2stuff
Select your server and you can see when various world bosses are up. (At lvl 40?+ they give a guaranteed rare at your level once a day). I believe there’s an app for it as well, but with my dumb phone I never tried it.

Anet has said that they are working on their only lfg tool to be used in game.

Also if you have a question you can usually ask in /map chat and as people will usually answer if there are some around. Any race/profession is viable, and there are usually a couple of different builds you can go off of for each profession.

My suggestion (if you don’t care about being the absolute best) is to pick the two weapon sets that you like the most (or 1 for an elementalist) and see what traits go well with them to base your build off of.

If you can’t decide on a profession/race right away, just make a couple of them and play through the first couple of personal story instances (which are race dependent) to see if you like the feel of them. But again if you don’t like the personal story that much, you aren’t missing much by skipping it now and going back to it later.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Then there’s Orrmaps for Tier 6 materials in Orr or other high level zones. Argos Soft’s armor gallery if you are looking for a particular look. Dulfy’s site for information. They aren’t social per se but they are player created.

http://www.orrmaps.com

http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/

http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

If you’ve played WoW, welcome to a much more pleasant social atmosphere.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Invest in crafting early on. Some of the best items in the game can be crafted, but it takes time. Buy the gathering items (mining pick, ect.) and hit any node you see nearby (you get experience for gathering, too).

You may have trouble keeping up with multiple crafts, but if find a craft you like and stick with it until Level 80, you should be able to keep yourself clothed/fed/bejeweled in things relatively near your level.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Go off the beaten path and hunt down critters there, they give you bonus XP if they’ve “lived” for a long time since they spawned.

That’s gotta be one of the most useful things I’ve read in the forums for a while – I had no idea that was the case! Is that in the [things I wish I knew] thread that’s stickied? I musta missed it.