New to GW2, need some core information!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ThePotatoSenpai.6938

ThePotatoSenpai.6938

Heyho fellas!

I need YOU to help me to get things started!

I’ve played tons of World of Warcraft but it’s time for a change, so let it be GW2.
I’ve just bought the expansion Heart of Thorns, but I need to know a few things about the game before I start it(Have to wait til tomorrow anyway). If there are some World of Warcraft Veterans around it would be great if you’d comment to this thread with all the important things /differences etc.

Q: What class should I play?
A: What do you want to do?
Q: I prefer a class which deals high amount of damage, but still has some sustain/selfheal/way to get around damage constantly.
To explain you what I mean in the World of Warcaft way:
Sustain – Warrior: Has a lot of ways to significantly reduce damage and has one strong heal.
Selfheal – Priest/Warlock/Deathknight Percentage of the damage which you’re dealing comes back as a heal.
Way to get around damge constantly – Rouge/Druid Using Shadowcloak no spell will hit you, using vanish you become stealth.

What class would you recommend and why? Pro / Con would be awesome!

What about Profession? Mining, Blacksmith etc. Is it the simple thingy “do those two because you can craft armor for yourself and make money” Or is there something else I’d need to know?

Any other important things which I should know? Things which make this game unique? Then comment below! Let this post be a help for all the other people which are new to the game!

Thanks a lot guys, hopefully some great answers will come in to make this post be at the top!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You may find the Stickies above helpful….

…again, welcome to Tyria, and good luck!

ThePotatoSenpai.6938

I got it already, don’t worry.

But I want some personal opinions, that’s why I’m here. I always do prefer to hear what people have to say, that are playing this game constantly.
Pretty sure it’ll be helpful for other newbies as well.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

You can build a thief to heal itself through attacking.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet_of_Malice
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Invigorating_Precision

Once you get to level 80 with thief, since you have Heart of Thorns, you can train to become a daredevil which gets some really cool mobility options. Evasion becomes a strong part of their defense.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Physical_Supremacy
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bounding_Dodger
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lotus_Training
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unhindered_Combatant

I mostly play as thief, engineer and elementalist and I prefer thief the most. It’s an untraditional profession in that it doesn’t use cooldowns on it’s weapon skills. All of that is balanced around using up initiative points which regenerate over time. You have to either pace yourself or slip in and out to do spikes, and so long as you have the initiative you can react to situations with whatever skill you want, cuz no cooldowns!

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

While it might take a while to get there (especially as leveling shouldn’t be rushed your first time through in this game, it’ll happen fairly fast anyway and meanwhile you can be exploring all the world’s nooks and crannies, there’s a lot to see), I would suggest you start a Necromancer with an eye to making a Reaper elite spec.

Thanks to the shroud mechanic you get a secondary health pool, you have ways to siphon life/health from your foes, and generally you’re pretty darn tough. Once you’re a Reaper you can face tank groups of mobs that will lay a thief low in seconds. (Says I, having a Thief-Daredevil that I won’t fling in against the vet spiders in Verdant Brink but being able to spin-to-win on the Reaper). Necro/Reaper are rather fun (imo — every profession is fun for some and horrid for others) to boot.

As you have 5 available slots, though, you might also want to make a Guardian and aim it towards the dps side rather than support. That gets you your damage, along with tons of mitigation and prevention. I came to this game from WoW, dead certain I’d hate Guardian since I found Paladin so boring, and discovered a lot of fun to be had. Especially since I’d been maining my Thief and eating a lot of dirt, then I got the Guardian up to speed for dungeons and felt invincible.

Another thing you can do is get into the sPvP lobby (Heart of the Mists). There you will be automatically 80 with all the traits and skills available. There are target golems to practice on so you can get a feel for the professions. Just make a profession, go to the lobby, play with it, delete the alt, rinse and repeat. (If you take time to do all the sliders in character creation and decide you really like the look you came up with, screenshot the slider settings and color choices before you create the character. Then you can reproduce it later).

Once you’re comfortable with the game mechanics you may want to consider Mesmer. They’re a bit trickier to play than Necro or Guardian, and don’t get properly awesome until much higher levels, but they have a zillion tricks to avoid damage, vanish, distract, etc.

Donari.5237

Addendum on crafting: You might be better off avoiding it for a while. Build up a stockpile of mats (note that when you’ve collected materials in your bags, you can click the gear in the upper right of Inventory to get a “deposit” option which magically whisks them all to the materials storage section of your bank, stacking up to 250 of each. You can craft with them while leaving them in the bank, too). Crafting does give leveling xp but it can also be expensive and most crafted items sell on the TP for less than the cost of their parts. If you are willing to wait to make your own stuff you can even sell the mats to get a nice boost to your wallet. On the TP! NOT TO VENDORS. Always check the value of a thing you’re getting rid of by right clicking it and selecting Sell on Trading Post, you will see what it’s going for and there will be two figures on the right, a listing fee and a sales tax. Add those two together, subtract that from your selling price, and if it’s still more than vendor you want to TP it.

Eventually you will probably want crafting because while you can get Ascended armor and weapons by drops, that is unreliably rare. You have to be max skill in a craft to make Ascended items of the type it makes (such as Huntsman for bows, rifles, pistols). However, unlike in WoW, max gear isn’t that much better than regular gear (ie exotic, orange color, which is pretty cheap and easy to acquire by various means) unless you’re doing the hardest stuff. The margin is low enough that skill and a good build can easily counter any difference in stats.

I would go on at length about the unique and wonderful things here except it’s almost 2:30 am and I have no idea why I haven’t gone to bed yet

Redfeather.6401

Donari is right about thief/daredevil. They can die in seconds if you aren’t built to evade/block on a dime. But is super fun to play. Very engaging.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Brace yourself… (personal experience:)

• Guardian is a good start; survives with many blocks/blinds yet can dish out decent damage. Fun builds to choose from including meditation, condi-burning, shout-condi-cleanser, party/team support or AH healer guardian. Enhanced now due to nice HoT elite spec F1-F3 skills and new (yet kinda’ 1-trick pony) traps build.
  • Ranger is an easy start; Troll Ungent heal skill is one that heals over time so you can survive nicely whilst dishing out long-range dmg combined with pet F2 skills you may want to try out “Taunt” for some funny roaming/PvP gameplay. Condi-survival ranger is still a thing; some variations include Apothecary/Shaman ‘bunkerish’ condi annoying specs to deal with.

Druid (ranger elite spec) is welcomed for raids and/or PvP bunker role due to large healing-focused game-play/opportunity for team-mates.

• Warrior is simple but I wish their elite spec were better. Warrior stances are key in WvW (total immunity to conditions/damage for a short duration) and are very mobile if running GS + S/WH. Not sure if banners are still a thing for party support aka Dungeons/Fractals but elite banner can definitely be a life-saver in organized GvG/raid/WvW content. Very easy profession to play with variety of builds including ‘gimmicky’ rifle killshot, 25 might-stacking build, traditional Hammer/GS (not sure if still used/viable due to pirate-ship meta).
  • Necromancer is quite decent at sustain due to deathshroud (their unique F1 mechanic) acts as a second lifepool and you can trait/build to siphon life from opponents or wear them down with other conditions. Necromancer is generally looked at as the king of conditions; you even have a signet that transfers conditions on you to your opponent; gg. Pretty awesome 25 might/Vulnerability is possible with necro/Reaper elite spec.

Reaper (necro elite spec) has brought new builds/tricks to the core class and I definitely recommend trying it out. (High Chill up-time build, tanky yet still decent dmg builds out there etc)

• Mesmer is a fun profession to play but takes time to get used to. Survive up-time through either clone generation process, nice position for burst dmg potential & can also lean into condition builds via traited Torment/Confusion on Shatter skills. Also considered valuable “veil/portal/time-warp bot” in Dungeons/Fractals/WvW to help players out.

Chronomancer (mesmer elite spec) is one of the most interesting/awesome specs I’ve played due to high Alacrity up-time, various builds that include near-permanent application of Slow condition & double uses of many skills via their new F5 mechanic “Continuum Shift”.

Yes, you can literally double time-warp. Double Moa. Double Alacrity. Double anything if you hit all/any skills you can in that small time-frame. It can be pretty funny.

• Elementalist is still running on the same old generic build(s) regarding PvP; Celestial D/F… bunker ele. I don’t play this class much but that’s all I ever encounter these days.

There are some debatable decent Tempest (ele elite spec) builds out there involving shouts healing & benefiting your team-mates with Auras/boons whilst doing so. You can still go traditional FULL ZERK DPS YOLO staff ele in WvW and drop hard hitting Meteor showers/well timed CC on earth/lightning attunements for zerg-play…

• Revenant is the new cool thing that came along with HoT expansion. Easy & fun to pick up. Nice dmg with Shiro stance paired with Mallyx for condi dmg = fair hybrid build for PvP use; could be use-able in PvE but I prefer Mallyx/Glint (Herald elite spec) for the instant I win button “all dmg dealt to you heals you” heal skill. Survives via certain weapon skills such as Sword #3, Shield skills, heal skill, application of Resistance Boon Via Mallyx legend etc. Overall a very versatile, hard-hitting class… speaking of which, the flavor of WvW atm is hammer rev. You can literally go full zerk DPS and spamming your hammer skill #2 on a 2 second CD for large 7k+ crits, even 15k+ if the right traits are chosen. Kinda’ cheesy but it works.
  • Thief has seen better days. I’m sorry, but this class was buried in the grave a while ago. These days I think it takes great skill to survive the many condi-spamming, insane DMG from other classes/professions out there as a thief. You can still run around with D/P and heal via traited “whilst in stealth regenerate/heal over time” skills. Some mediocre condi builds still available; I run my own gimmicky venom/trap condi build involving Dire/Rabid stats. Too bad it’s hard-countered by any decent Necro or simply Diamond Skin ele. Some people have succeeded with P/P massive burst builds, but it’s extremely risky. S/D is my favorite thing in the world with thief… I’m trying to make it work again with their elite spec line.

I strongly believe Daredevil (thief elite spec) trait line is mandatory when playing this class… the third evade can mean life or death in certain situations and overall the class feels more endurable with the unique dodge mechanics involved.

• Engineer is the jack of all trades & can be rewarding if committed to learning how to play it. Their condi-removal is a bit lack-luster unless you go full crazy traited Elixers, Elixer Gun, Heal Turret etc but their condi-dmg out-put is almost, if nearly on-par with Necromancer condi dmg (situational). Awesome Burn up-time, nice mobility, perma-swiftness if traited. A fun class to play. Definitely always welcome in raids as condi engi.

Scrapper (engi elite spec) is quite interesting in that it involves the Hammer – engi’s first ever proper melee weapon and can be used in bruiser/tanky builds; plenty of combo-fields to dish out. Gyro’s are pretty meh (mere personal opinion) but at least their trait-line includes one that can finish off downed opponents FOR you (not that I’ve been too big a fan of AI mechanics but oh well).

Sorry for the immensely long post but I believe that’s a bit of a nutshell of each class & my thoughts about them in general through personal experience.

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

Oh hi, you’re on this subforum, too. (I replied to your other post). Looks like they’ve got you pretty well covered here :-)

@Zephyra.4709
So I’m not the only one inclined to immensely long posts! Good details — gave me a few ideas.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

ThePotatoSenpai.6938

First of all – thanks a lot for this great replies, helps a lot!

After all the time I had to think I’m stuck between Necro and Mesmer.

Obviously Mesmer has a higher learning curve, but still – I like a challenge.

What PRO/CON would you give me for those 2?

And again – THANKS A LOT GUYS! Tons of valuable informations getting by you!

Glad to see that here’s a friendly community, not common these days.

EDIT: Stuck between Mesmer, Necro, Thief and Revenant.

HALP!

(edited by ThePotatoSenpai.6938)

Redfeather.6401

First of all – thanks a lot for this great replies, helps a lot!

After all the time I had to think I’m stuck between Necro and Mesmer.

Obviously Mesmer has a higher learning curve, but still – I like a challenge.

What PRO/CON would you give me for those 2?

And again – THANKS A LOT GUYS! Tons of valuable informations getting by you!

Glad to see that here’s a friendly community, not common these days.

EDIT: Stuck between Mesmer, Necro, Thief and Revenant.

HALP!

Biggest difference right off the top of my head is that mesmer can feel slower paced. Their illusions/clones are summoned and die on a per target basis. Unlike necromancer minions which are persistent.
Mesmer’s learn towards direct damage more easily, and necromancer’s condition damage. But with elite specializations available at lvl 80 I have no idea how that chagnes. I do not have a lvl 80 mesmer yet, and I’ve rarely play necromancer anymore.

edit: In World vs World I’ve seen both a single mesmer player or necromancer player take on a group and do very well with skill. I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

Mesmer and necro really easy to play. Elementalist and Condi engi are much harder XD Have you tried that 30-40 skill rotation viper engi combo?

Donari.5237

My experience with Chronomancer (mesmer elite) was in the first beta weekend they were available so I can’t be sure how easy they are now. They certainly have a ton of utility but I think you have to be hitting skills in just the right time window, you have a matter of a second or two to fire them off at times. Core mesmer is a joy, though. However, I don’t think it’s a good idea to learn the game on one; certainly my first mesmer took me a lot longer to understand when to shatter and with what shatter skill than comparable profession mechanics for other professions.

I think you should make a little stable of alts and swap around between them as the mood takes you. You’re not going to be investing heavily in gear for any of them ‘til they’re 80, and you can run through some of the same events to compare how each profession handles them. Doing that you may well find that one profession just comes naturally to you and then you’ll know what to make your main.