New to Guild Wars.. Other girls that play?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kali.8095

Kali.8095

Hi there, I don’t know if I’m putting this forum in the correct place, but I’m sure a moderator will tell me if it should be moved.. Alright, so I’m fairly new to Guild Wars 2 (less than a month) and I’m already lvl 80 on my Sylvarian Ele on the Crystal Desert server… And I’m a female gammer. I have no problem playing with males.. but of all the people that I have met, I haven’t met another female. I know this shouldn’t be an issue, but it would just be really nice to meet some other females that are into MMO games. Would love to hear some feedback and wondering if there are other girls out there that play.
Thanks!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lots and lots. One of the guilds I am in is headed by a female gamer. I have met many females in my time playing GW2 and GW1. Female gamers are so scarce nowadays. =)

Kali.8095

That’s great news! I’d love to play with more females.. sometimes you just need a girl to talk to while playing and would help me relate a bit easier.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

There are lots of female gamers in my guild – and I’m one of them. I tend to play during NA primetime, but I have friends that are on EU time but NA servers. Ping me in-game if you’d like to hang out.

Kali.8095

There are lots of female gamers in my guild – and I’m one of them. I tend to play during NA primetime, but I have friends that are on EU time but NA servers. Ping me in-game if you’d like to hang out.

I’m In Crystal Desert Server..

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Well it depends on how you want to ‘hang out’, if it’s general PvE stuff, you can always guest and if you like a guild, you can save up or usually the guild will help you afford a transfer (I would hope!). If you want to WvW though, that would be kind of hard. Operation Union though is cross-server though so you should be fine where you are. On a side note, if you ever want to spvp, I have a quite a few female gamers who play often in the Academy of the Mists.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Kali.8095

Well it depends on how you want to ‘hang out’, if it’s general PvE stuff, you can always guest and if you like a guild, you can save up or usually the guild will help you afford a transfer (I would hope!). If you want to WvW though, that would be kind of hard. Operation Union though is cross-server though so you should be fine where you are. On a side note, if you ever want to spvp, I have a quite a few female gamers who play often in the Academy of the Mists.

Hmm… Interesting. I clearly have a lot more to learn about this game. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I definitely will end up messaging both of you next time I’m on

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Tons of women in my guild too, including my wife. In fact we have several married couples that play together.

Posted by: AriaSilverfyre.8702

AriaSilverfyre.8702

I am also a female gamer, and have quite a few fellow women, and couples, in my guild as well. I think some of us are just good at being ninjas so the guys don’t notice and try to treat us differently. Or maybe that’s just me >_>

Guild Leader of ’"The Gryphons Aerie [REST]": A PvE/RP family
Join Us – http://www.thegryphonsaerie.com

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

Yeah, there are quite a few females in my guild as well, and I myself am included in that bunch! I’m on Tarnished Coast, and I’m up for playing if you’d like! ^^

Posted by: Jannetjes.4298

Jannetjes.4298

Hi, I just wanted to say: amazing! you only played a month and have already a lvl 80!
I am a female gamer to, and a leader of a guild. It is nice to see female players to!!

I am the leader of The Heroes Of Fantasy, but a gamer girl in real life.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I’m a male on SoS.

Just wanted to say my fiance plays. There are 4/5 females in my guild out of about 40 regulars. I know that our high officer also hosts ‘girls night’ on our server.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I am also a female gamer, and have quite a few fellow women, and couples, in my guild as well. I think some of us are just good at being ninjas so the guys don’t notice and try to treat us differently. Or maybe that’s just me >_>

It isn’t you lol, some gamer guys are weird, even weirder if they know you are a girl.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

I’m on CD as well and my gf plays the same server, we also have about 3-4 girls in TS on raid nights often, 2 of them being commanders. Add me in game if you like we do pve/wvw.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Lots of women in my guild, and in fact of the officers only the GM is a man. We roleplay on Tarnished Coast, going for an adventure flair.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As you’re seeing there are a lot of women who play GW2. You can add me and my guild leader, and a few of our other members to the list too.

I think the problem is a lot of people don’t have obviously female account names and don’t tend to mention their gender in-game and so everyone assumes they’re male.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ghin.1653

Ghin.1653

Female gamers are so scarce nowadays. =)

Not true, i know plenty of girl gamer’s. You just don’t hear from (or know) them because of a lot of the boneheads with the stereotypical “gtfo” comments when someone says they are female. Most younger girl gamer’s hide while the older ones don’t really care. You can imagine the things that fly through a teenagers head when he finds out a girl he knows is a gamer. It can get real awkward.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Of the 3 guilds I’m in, one has a population of 80% females to 20% males. The second has a roughly 50:50 ratio, and the third I’m still learning names, but I believe there’s a sizeable female presence there as well (the GL is female).

Female gamers really aren’t that rare anymore. I’m male, by the way.

Posted by: Defora.3694

Defora.3694

Most likely you have met females. Nowadays it is quite normal to see both males & females on gaming. Studies show it is about 60/40 ratio.

If male would have created similar thread it would have been considered weird. I mean: why would someone need “male to male talk”. Similarly I wonder what is this “girl to girl” talk. What is the subject that you cannot talk to any guild member / random gamer that you play with regardless their gender.

I don’t mean to attack against you Kali, I know it may look like it when I come and post things like this into you light-hearted thread. I just try to make people think about this subject. “Gamer girl” is still a label that often makes people think oversexualized or casual player. The amount of weird comments females get in games and the way it is considered “normal” isn’t normal. Gender should not define anything in here, we all are just people playing this game.

Necromancer | Elementalist | Mesmer | Thief || Gandara

Kali.8095

Most likely you have met females. Nowadays it is quite normal to see both males & females on gaming. Studies show it is about 60/40 ratio.

If male would have created similar thread it would have been considered weird. I mean: why would someone need “male to male talk”. Similarly I wonder what is this “girl to girl” talk. What is the subject that you cannot talk to any guild member / random gamer that you play with regardless their gender.

I don’t mean to attack against you Kali, I know it may look like it when I come and post things like this into you light-hearted thread. I just try to make people think about this subject. “Gamer girl” is still a label that often makes people think oversexualized or casual player. The amount of weird comments females get in games and the way it is considered “normal” isn’t normal. Gender should not define anything in here, we all are just people playing this game.

I was just simply curious. And it’s completely different talking to someone of the same sex as compared to someone of a different sex. I’m not here to discuss the way society portrays us “gammer girls” or how it shouldn’t define anything within the game. I simply just wanted to know that I was not alone in this situation. It kind of gets overwhelming when you think you’re surrounded by only males and you’re the only girl that you know of playing the game thus far.

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I do meet quite some girls, but atleast 50% of female characters are actually guys in rela life, so its not safe to assume that when you see a girl, he/she is a girl.

My guild is maybe 40% female, out of the people i know and are active atleast. We maybe have 50 very active in the chat, but the ither 400 just rarely or never talk.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Well, I am a female, but too old to be called girl. My daughter is a girl though and she plays as well.

I don’t advertise my gender in the game and very often I get called ‘Dude’ or other things mostly used for males in reality. This happens when I play my female characters just as much when I play my male ones. I have 5 females and 4 males at this time. Alissah is correct that character gender does not necessarily equal player gender.

Kali.8095

Well, I am a female, but too old to be called girl. My daughter is a girl though and she plays as well.

I don’t advertise my gender in the game and very often I get called ‘Dude’ or other things mostly used for males in reality. This happens when I play my female characters just as much when I play my male ones. I have 5 females and 4 males at this time. Alissah is correct that character gender does not necessarily equal player gender.

I realize this, this was not my concern. I was simply just wondering if other girls play. And as far as being a “girl” I suppose you couldn’t call me that either. I’m a woman. But age is really besides the point with regards to what I was trying to ask..

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do meet quite some girls, but atleast 50% of female characters are actually guys in rela life, so its not safe to assume that when you see a girl, he/she is a girl.

This goes both ways. A lot of female players will have male characters too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

Female here as well. I actually manage to play more often than my husband to be honest

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer

Kali.8095

Female here as well. I actually manage to play more often than my husband to be honest

Thats amazing! Haha. I love that!

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

I’m female too and despite trying I haven’t been able to drag my fiance away from his PS3 to enjoy the awesome that is GW2 – his loss.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

My fiance plays, she actually took a huge step up as a gamer with GW2. Before I introduced her to MMOs with DC Universe but I convinced her to play an easy build and I built my character with the easy babysitter build and just kept us both alive while she wailed on everything. In Guild Wars 2 after trying a few characters she chose Ranger and just the other day finished map completion, something I don’t have, so its obvious to tell she has done some soloing.

Also the gaming community I am apart of has tons of women/couples that play together and range in age from youths to elderly.

Welcome to an awesome game, I hope you find a good mixed group of friends to play with.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Pretty mixed in our guild too…couples, singles…we’re all on voice so chat is pretty cool. It will be the same for most guilds or even your servers wvw voice server.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Im male, but I just wanted to say all it takes is something similar to this thread to find out that gamer girls really arent that scarce anymore.

They may not necessarily make themselves known, at least until they feel comfortable, but out of the.. many guilds I have led in other games, it seems that the aforementioned 60/40 split is about right (and maybe even conservative).

Just gotta throw it out there to get others to come forward, strength in numbers and all that.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Brom Malochson.9306

Brom Malochson.9306

Best way to find other girls in a game like this is voice chat. If you play WvW, ask someone if there’s a voice server to use. (Tarnished Coast uses mumble) Guilds are usually chill about females. 99% of the time it’s proven that they’re just as good if not better at the game than the guys in the guild, so we do value you gals!

Brom Malichson | DB Elementalist | Temple Commander | Knights of Ares [ARES]

Posted by: Uniles.2397

Uniles.2397

Totally late to this party, but, if you want to meet awesome girls to play with, there’s about a 1000 of em! https://www.facebook.com/groups/guildwars2girls/

Posted by: Damash.1074

Damash.1074

Hi there, I don’t know if I’m putting this forum in the correct place, but I’m sure a moderator will tell me if it should be moved.. Alright, so I’m fairly new to Guild Wars 2 (less than a month) and I’m already lvl 80 on my Sylvarian Ele on the Crystal Desert server… And I’m a female gammer. I have no problem playing with males.. but of all the people that I have met, I haven’t met another female. I know this shouldn’t be an issue, but it would just be really nice to meet some other females that are into MMO games. Would love to hear some feedback and wondering if there are other girls out there that play.
Thanks!

Ive met alot of other female players along the way especially in the Queensdale Train but tell me… How did you become 80 in one month, since im a slow leveler

Alpha Alex

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Me and my daughter play. Also in a guild we are in most of the very active TS users are female. Strangers sometimes call me ‘good father’ for playing with my daughter. Sometimes I correct them, sometimes I just say thanks.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Hiya kali, Im a PvE comander on Fa and you will mostly find me with my brothers and sisters in either fractals or out and about doing world bosses

Sarah

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Lots of females play, though we are still outnumbered based on what I hear on team speak and my interactions with others. I like to make fun of my friend (who I play with every day, have known several years from online games), because he is nearly always assumed a female while I am usually assumed a male. If you want to add me, that’s cool. Ironically I transferred off of Crystal Desert a few weeks ago, but we can do dungeons and stuff.

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

I don’t think the male/female ratio of gamers in GW2 is 60/40 based on my experience. It feels more like 90/10 but my viewpoint is skewed as I mostly pvp nowadays. I met more females when I was mainly pve.

Shout out to any other ladies that like to WvW or spvp.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

I’m often very surprised how many women play this game. This is my first pc game however. I come from competitive console fps and fighter games, in which women seem very few and far between.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

This game is gorgeous and friendly, and you can set the pace as you go. I hate pain, so I’m not into the 1vX situation in PvP but I feel like I can contribute in WvW and the open PvE world have so much to explore. I’m not surprised to see a lot of girls around. We have a great community here.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I’m often very surprised how many women play this game. This is my first pc game however. I come from competitive console fps and fighter games, in which women seem very few and far between.

The girls I knew who played FPS rarely admitted to being female because too many times they would be kicked off of teams, teased, or harassed.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

The girls I knew who played FPS rarely admitted to being female because too many times they would be kicked off of teams, teased, or harassed.

I played FPS and other fighting type games and I always admitted to being female because I felt that pretending to be male just doesn’t help disperse the taboo of woman playing video games and I then just ignore being treated differently and the abuse/harassment. I’m not ashamed of being a woman who plays video games and I show through my actions and skill that I play games as well as any guy (Seeing as gender has zero influence over how good a gamer you are, not that it matters if you are good at a game as long as you enjoy it).

The reason why I tend to be one of the ones to point it out (when appropriate) is because I feel it’s important to do so. Mainly because people still assume you are a guy when they really just shouldn’t assume at all so there’s still some ways to go before woman playing games is considered a norm not an oddity so any way I can help demonstrate that there’s a definitive female presence the better it is in the long run for fellow female gamers by (hopefully) decreasing the amount of abuse woman receive in the gaming community.

I’ve already seen a huge improvement in woman presence and acceptance in gaming from 10 years ago which wouldn’t have been the case if woman hadn’t shown their presence and put up with the abuse. There is definitely a lot less sexism based abuse now in comparison to then (still plenty around just not as much). That said I can understand why some people want to hide their gender because it comes with a lot of drama and negativity and people just want to enjoy the game. I just personally feel it’s worth putting up with so that in the coming decades the sexism will hopefully continue to decline.

As for running into woman in gw2. I’d say the ratio of male to female gamers in gw2 is pretty much male 60/40 female quite a high percentage of woman anyway. It’s just not something that generally comes up because it doesn’t really matter and in gw2 in general it’s considered quite normal. It’s quite hard to tell by the character/name/profession people play whether they are male or female as there’s large variety of preference there. The only problem area is competitive pvp there’s definitely still a ‘woman should be in the kitchen’ vibe there.

If it helps there is a group on facebook called ‘Guild Wars 2 Girls’ where you can find other woman to play with. That said there are plenty of men who play gw2 who are mature and friendly who won’t treat you badly or differently for being a girl. Just have to give them a chance

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I’m a female gamer. There’s probably a lot more around then it would appear. Many female gamers have had negative experiences in the past—sexual harassment and so on—so they are wary of revealing their gender in the game.
People usually assume I’m male unless I state otherwise. Some players stand out as more “feminine” or “masculine”, and you can make a guess at their gender, but most people don’t present as either.

There was a study done that found the numbers of male to female players in WoW were almost 50/50. As I haven’t seen the study myself, I can’t confirm this, but it does make sense. Tons of women play video games, but discrimination can get so bad that few are totally comfortable admitting it. GW2 is a step in the right direction—there is a lot less negativity here.

(edited by Weindrasi.3805)

Posted by: DebraKadabra.5278

DebraKadabra.5278

Another female reporting in! My guy, his daughter and I all play GW2 – we’re on Ehmry Bay server.

I used to just play casual games… until Skyrim and GW2 hehe!

What we have been is what we are.

Posted by: Morticiia.9204

Morticiia.9204

Hey Kali!

Just want to say congrats with you’re level 80 character, hope you enjoy it as much as we female players do, can’t always be easy being a girl and playing MMO games with only guys humor ha-ha, no offence.

I guess sometimes it’s good to have something in common like being a girl and love playing video games. Female players shouldn’t be afraid, they should be proud of being a gamer and being able to stand up for themselves and not being afraid of what other people think or would say, because they are not alone there are a tons of girls feeling the same way any other real gamer girl would do! now and days girl are so girly and all they care about is updating their Facebook profile lol.. but that’s not the point, i just think we should get more respect when it comes to gaming.

Anyways I am a girl, I love to play Pokemon, marvel, action,thriller,shooting, fighting games (you name it) and especially mmo or rpg games and i have been busy with games since a lil kid. You can never be too old for games:) I just started on GW2, I find it very interesting,fun and fascinating. I also play daily World of Warcraft with my boyfriend and friends, which is a fun game almost alike as Guild wars 2:) you should try it out sometime!

If you are interested in having me as a buddy in guild wars 2, just message me and i am sure we can have a awesome gaming night with teamwork ha ha!

Ps. sorry for my long message, thank you for your time.

Greeting from Morticiia

(edited by Morticiia.9204)

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

at least 50% of the people responding to this thread claiming that they are actually females have an 80% chance of actually being guys. Also, the OP has a 90% chance of actually being a guy.

Either way, all people posting in this thread claiming to be girls, will probably be getting spammed in game with “Will you date me requests” by random no lifes.

With that being said, I am going on record as saying, “although I play mostly female characters, I am in fact a guy.” And that is a 100% true statement.

P.S. please note, I didn’t actually say that anyone was actually lying. I just said there was a good chance of it.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

(edited by An Siorai Tharian.4516)

Posted by: Morticiia.9204

Morticiia.9204

Haha very true, atleast you are being honest that you are a guy! I am honestly a girl, and i myself think it would be nice to have some female gamers and having something in common, because i rarely see that at all.

I have a 5 years relationship with my boyfriend who also games, and i wouldn’t be much interested in sexual frustrasted people..
it’s not a dating game/site, it’s a game to have fun and having something in common with other people who think the same

(edited by Morticiia.9204)

Posted by: mahariel.4981

mahariel.4981

As far as I’m aware, while some guys might pretend to be girls in game to get free stuff, from my last nine of years of using the internet, it’s not something that really happens on forums.

Dropping by to say I’m a guy who plays the game with girls who have all demonstrated they can play at a high level, so it’s not even like girls are just casuals (or w/e the stereotype is, I dunno).

Sanctum of Rall (NA) | [LOD]
Morrï Mahariel | Serah Mahariel | Morrï
A bunch of amateur solos from yours truly

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Casual girl gamers appear more prone to screaming into the mic when they get killed.

At least, my sister does.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

Well, I know that at least the dungeon folks who say they are females are actually female…. You have this thing called VoIP and it is verifiable.

I am a female, and folks who dungeon with me know that. Also I’ve met a ton of females…. I think actually, In the guilds I’ve been in, it has been about 35% female (or thereabouts)…

Anyway, I don’t think there are any official statistics on it. Would be interesting to see!

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Well, I know that at least the dungeon folks who say they are females are actually female…. You have this thing called VoIP and it is verifiable.

I am a female, and folks who dungeon with me know that. Also I’ve met a ton of females…. I think actually, In the guilds I’ve been in, it has been about 35% female (or thereabouts)…

Anyway, I don’t think there are any official statistics on it. Would be interesting to see!

Um… what does Voice Over IP have to do with Dungeons, much less this game (which unless I am very mistaken doesn’t have a voice chat function built into it)?

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21