New to the game and cant decide class

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Scully.6849

Scully.6849

I know next to nothing about the game, just wondering what the class balance is like in pvp. Im mostly just looking for a class that isnt team oriented and can handle itself in 1v1+. Any thing really stick out as being overpowered currently or can I just play and see what I like and not be punished with it being too weak like most mmo’s?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I know next to nothing about the game, just wondering what the class balance is like in pvp. Im mostly just looking for a class that isnt team oriented and can handle itself in 1v1+. Any thing really stick out as being overpowered currently or can I just play and see what I like and not be punished with it being too weak like most mmo’s?

Can’t go wrong with warriors.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

This is GW2, always bet on Warrior.

Scully.6849

Do the developers actually try and keep things balanced or even acknowledge when something is a little too strong?

Im coming from WoW so im a little spoiled when it comes to player-developer interaction and timely patches to address balance problems.

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Class balance in PvP, IMO (over 3000 matches, PvP Rank 47): Warriors are on top, Elemantilists are on the bottom, and pretty much every other profession is somewhere in-between. NOW, that is a really massive generalization, as a full balance profession-by-profession bullet list would take up too much time

Being able to handle yourself in a 1v1 is something you can do as a warrior. Try out a Warrior first, but make sure to give all the professions a try as well as time goes on, you might be surprised what sticks.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Warrior = no regrets end game. Other classes have weaknesses here or there.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

One of the best features of GW2 is that you don’t have to bother with leveling or gearing up to do PvP. Simply roll a new toon, go straight into the Heart of the Mists (crossed sword icon) where you are upleveled to 80 and have free access to all the traits/abilities/runes/sigils/weapons and stat amulets.

There you can play around with different builds and test them out on the target golems, profession targets or jump into some hot join matches to see how they play live. It’s an awesome way to see what kinds of playstyles you like.

Here’s a good summary of the strengths and weaknesses of each profession.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1ojgdr/what_class_should_i_play_a_summary_of_each/

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I have toons in six different classes, none of whom are warriors. Warriors just aren’t my style. However, if your highest criterion is wanting to play the most overpowered class then I concur with the rest of the posts so far. Warrior.

Scully.6849

Another question, what server should I choose to have the best experience? Dont want to be stuck on a dead server

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Do the developers actually try and keep things balanced or even acknowledge when something is a little too strong?

Im coming from WoW so im a little spoiled when it comes to player-developer interaction and timely patches to address balance problems.

We have the same process but with different results. Almost everyone complains or comments how powerful warriors are, even people who play warriors, and the developers respond by making warriors even more powerful.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Warriors were considered the worst class in PvP a few months ago. Now after a few balance updates everyone screams overpowered. If that gives you a picture of the balance volatility.

Posted by: Carize.8532

Carize.8532

{Scully.6849
Another question, what server should I choose to have the best experience? Dont want to be stuck on a dead server}

You’re allowed to “Guest” to any server of your group (NA servers or EU servers are different group) That basically means that if you don’t feel like the PvE area you are in is vibrant at the times you play, you can go to the char select screen and choose to guest on a different server and play the game exactly as you would at ‘home’.

~** World vs World vs World is the only part that might matter population-wise. WvWvW is wide scale open map PvP with castles & keeps. Your server versus 2 others in a week long 24-7 battle. This area of the game is based on your home server so if your Tier (<— WvWvW ranking) has low WvWvW population, then you may have smaller fights or losing matches. If you go into our WvW forums you’ll see helpful and occasionally bitter discussions about the differences in “coverage”. What coverage means is: how many people (on an otherwise flourishing PvE server) plays the world vs world zone at different times of day or night.
If you like 1v1’s and small group tactics in PvP then one of the lower tier servers might be best fit for you. Low pop means no waiting in lines to join the war effort, no huge blob fights, and rarely laggy.

As you go up in tiers, you get other options.

Medium gets you small, medium and occasional huge blob fights—zergs. Some skill and gameplay lag but not as common as all that.

Once you get up to the higher tiers you get mainly zerg fights of 40+ vs 40+ vs 40+. Those can be epic and awe inspiring hour long running battles…or just slideshows of absolutely horrendous lag. It’s a coin toss which some nights.

All are fun n stuff but it’s basically up to you to think of what you like most in a game.

PvE, which you can do from any home server, or WvWvW, which will require a bit more thinking and weighing of options.

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi
Jade Quarry since launch then I started wandering the borderlands of Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Keep in mind that if you are just wanting PvP (or WvWvW) you can transfer servers for free by deleting all characters.

You also need to look up the info on PvP /WvW limitations applied to guesting as I’m pretty sure guesting does not allow for WvW play when guesting (for obvious reasons).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances