Newbie here with some questions.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Duzze.4068

Duzze.4068

So, Guild Wars 2 for me is one of those games that have always been on my peripheral, naturally I am moving here from Wow, but I have played other MMO before, BDO was something I played for a bit and since it is much like the GW2 model, I decided I lose nothing buy trying out GW 2.

So here come the noob question.

1. So when I was making the purchase it said I should by some Sort of Season 2 pack for 16.00 bucks. Is this like the latest end game content need to be bought?

2. How healthy is this community of Guild War 2? I don’t mean this to be disparaging, I just would like to know if I am leveling from 1- level cap, will I be mostly alone or do people still roll alts?

3. Wow has Wow Head and some personal site that are really good. Anything like that for Guild War 2?

4. I am going Guardian, I was a Ret paladin in Wow, Vaklyrie in BDO, Marauder in FF14, Lancer in Tera, PLD in FF11. So as you can see I tend to gyrate toward those armor+magical class. Any good website that can gives me tips and pointers?

5. What is the meta and endgame like and do I ask to join a guild when I hit certain requirement both in terms of gears or achievements?

Thanks for any help in answering these questions! Any tips would also be appreciated!

Edit: Oh Sixth Question: Crafting. Like Wow who you usually take Mining and Blacksmith for armor, anything like that I should pursue for Guardian? Is it as accessible or something I have to dedicate myself to get the most of of it.

(edited by Duzze.4068)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

First of all welcome to GW2

I will mak some quick answer here.

1) GW2 was trying a living world model that living story and events were 1 time thing, player either show up and play at that period or missed it forever. This is still stay true for season 1 living story. Then they improved the model for season 2, which players can unlock the story for free by login during the season2 period or buy it later if they missed the free unlock. We are at season 3 and finale will be inbound soon. Season 2 is not necessary and is not the latest content either.

2) GW2 community is by far one of the friendiest outside of Raid. You can max your lv alone or you may still find a players leveling their toons.

3) GW2 dulfy will be your best friend

4) you can try metabattle, all classes with builds for every game mode. But i think make your own build is what most fun in GW2 imo.

5) depends on what kind of guild, different guild focus on different game mode but most guild are very friendies, if a guild is demanding, i will just quit, no big deal. You can join ups to 5 guild per account so you can try it out yourself.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Hi and welcome to the world of Tyria!

1. The latest end-game content going on right now before the next expansion is Living World season 3, with 5 out of 6 episodes currently released. You will unlock the current episode (5) by simply logging in before the last one comes out, and also the last episode by logging in when it comes out. You can choose if you want to buy the previous 4 episodes, but I wouldn’t worry about that until later when you’ve completed everything else the game has to offer.

2. The population is in very good health, and there are constantly people leveling characters in the core zones, so most of the time you won’t be alone.

3. There are many good sites for GW2, like GW2Efficiency for tracking account information, and the Wiki for information on everything else. It also contains timers for world bosses and other big events.

4. You can check Metabattle for example to see the best guardian builds, and browse the Guardian class sub-forum here for tips. Feel free to ask more there, or ask for help in the main game chat. Youtube guides are also good.

5. You can ask around in the game chat (or anywhere really, forums, reddit etc.) for newbie-friendly guilds that welcome new members (they will often advertise themselves in the game chat too). There are plenty of guilds for different gamemodes and things, from casual PvX guilds to hardcore raiding guilds. For the endgame, there are plenty of options; raids, fractals, competitive modes, anything that suits your wishes really. Consider finding a friendly guild right away; that will definitely improve your experience and help you in many, many ways.

As for a personal tip: take things slow and learn by your own pace. It’s a huge game with a huge amount of content, so rushing things can overwhelm you very quickly and burn you out. The gear grind of GW2 is very marginal, so don’t worry about anything like that while leveling up.

Again, welcome to Tyria and good luck!

Posted by: TheMightyNewb.6789

TheMightyNewb.6789

1. Living seasons are basically content updates that are heavily story focused. The first one is free for everyone but the next 2 need to be bought if you aren’t actively
Playing when they go live because they only are active for so long (if I’m not mistaken not entirely sure so don’t take my word for it). They are end game content but not all the game has to offer. Dungeons, raids, fractals( harder dungeons), wvw. Server vs server Pvp and regular pvp. Normal pvp can be accessed at any level since gear stats are equalized but wvw gear matters.

2. I would say the community is very healthy. Lots of friendly players everywhere and yes not so nice players but mainly nice players. People are constantly
Re rolling Alts due to various reasons but the core gw2 maps are not always filled up but there are people in every map for sure and if you get stuck you can ask in map chat and typically people come help. Pleanty of guilds are looking for new players, never pay to join a guild tho, it’s a scam. And another thing gw2 system is different compared to wow by the fact everyone gets credit for tagging a mob and doing the same bosses and or events and ou get your own personally loot and experience which is nice.

3. Yes there are a bunch. Metabatlle.com is one I remember off the top of my head. There are a lot more than you could ask around for search on google. There is a wiki about everything in gw2 that explains stuff and has guides but for build guides metabattle is what you want.

4. Guardian is a solid class over all. I never play it but I know it’s good I’m wvw and it’s somewhat used it raids but it’s not overly popular. But as long as your build is meta you should have no problems. Guardian has serval build set ups as well.

5 END GAME- the main end game stuff is raids/ fractals I would say. Those are the really challenging content and if you want to regularly clear and get kills being in a guild would be extremely helpful because LFG ISNT BAD it’s not as easy as wow. You can get groups through lfg but being with a group of people you know is much more likely to do well than with 5 ransoms even though sometimes you get all good ransoms and you have no issues. Gear wise for end game you need ascended/legendary gear. They have the same stats as each other yet legendary gear have a really cool skin and the ability to stat change your gear to anything you want. Ascended gear only has 1 stat choice and it’s the choice you
Pick when you craft it or buy it. You can craft or buy ascended gear however it’s expensive and does take a while. It’s. It not going to happen over night. Unless you had a lot of gold then it will take you a while depending on how much you
Play. Legendary gear can only be crafted and it takes a while and is a bit Grindy. If you have lots of gold then it can definitely speed up everything since you can skip most of material grinding and just buy them but as a new player getting gold starts off slow till you figure out how to make it. There are pleanty of guides for ascended gear/legendary/and gold making on YouTube. Make sure the video is within recent times because that video may no longer apply.
Requirements, these very but ascended gear will be o good to have

Hope this helped

Duzze.4068

Thanks you all so much! This really help alot even as I am looking at the download bar. Quick clarification. So, there will be a part of the story I won’t be able to do? The Season 1 in particular? Should I have even bought the season 2?

(edited by Duzze.4068)

Posted by: faunabay.9320

faunabay.9320

My experience…….I’ve been playing GW2 for about a year and just recently bought season 2. I haven’t even played through it yet either. It’s not really necessary for any game play. Obviously it does help immensely with storyline and lore though.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The Living Story episodes are free to those who log in during the period each episode is being offered (about a 2 month period). Anyone who doesn’t log in during this time can buy the episodes with gold or cash but LS3 requires that the account has HoT in order to access the maps they are on.

I wouldn’t even worry about the Living Story until you’re level 80, except to make sure you log on and get each new episode free to your account. If you don’t own them the Living Story Season 2 episodes can be done with someone who does owns them but you will not be able to get any of the rewards. LS3 requires ownership as you need to be able to reach the maps. LS1 was temporary content back at the start of the game and is not playable.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thanks you all so much! This really help alot even as I am looking at the download bar. Quick clarification. So, there will be a part of the story I won’t be able to do? The Season 1 in particular? Should I have even bought the season 2?

For Story only, the order is:

Personal Story (comes with Core game), Living World Season One (no longer available, as they were ‘live events’, but there’s a short recap in Lion’s Arch, or a YouTube compilation offered by a player), Living World Season Two (purchasable with cash or in-game Gold), Heart of Thorns Story (must own HoT), Living World Season Three (current season, previous Episodes available for purchase thru the Story Journal for 200 Gems each, necessarily to access the latest maps, Episodes 5 and upcoming Episode 6 free for those who log in while active), upcoming Expansion (must be purchased), and upcoming Living World Season Four (should be free for those who log in while active).

Pro-tip: Save your L80 Boost until you have leveled one or more characters naturally. Leveling naturally gives access to tutorial tips and level-up rewards.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

6. Crafting. I would recommend armorsmith and weaponsmith. Those two will cover heavy armor and bladed weapons. (Guardians can use scepter and staff, which are artificer, but I suppose it depends upon what weapons you like best or use most.) Any character can have two active crafts at a time. You can pay an in-game fee and make one inactive to get another… or have another character take up a craft. Crafts are easy to acquire and not terribly time-consuming to level. Everyone can mine/gather/chop at will— and no worries about node-stealing because everyone can use the nodes.

Story goes:

• Personal Story 1-80, every 10 levels (all access)
  • S1 (as others mentioned, was temporary) Movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joLmVI5URak
  • S2 — good to have for several reasons. For one, you’ll understand what lead up to going into the jungle. It’s full of nice rewards and playing through will give you several mastery points. If you go for the achievements, you’ll get some top-tier accessories too.
  • HoT story — free with purchase of Heart of Thorns.
  • S3 — you’ll have a lot to do before you get to this point, but as others mentioned, you will unlock ep. 5 by logging in now and ep. 6 if you login anytime when that goes live. If you decide you want 1-4 later, you can always convert some gold to gems or buy them with cash. No need to worry about it just yet, though.

Welcome and good luck!

Posted by: vinterberg.2783

vinterberg.2783

A nice feature is that you can access the wiki by typing “/wiki <subject/item/whatever>”, it also works with shift-linking (so you can just type "/wiki " and shift-link an item to get info on it)!

Duzze.4068

Newb back here again. So Karma points, Should I send them to get gear upgrades or save them for something down the line? THanks!

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Karma…A bit of both. If you find something that you want, like, or need, buy it. Just be aware that Karma-purchased items are NOT salvagable. You can, generally, throw them in the mystic forge with 3 other items of similar rarity (blues, greens, yellows, etc.), but your salvage kit won’t work on them. And Karma comes pretty quick, so don’t fret about it – if you ever find yourself low on Karma, you just go do more events and it’ll build back up to 500k in no time. Seriously, Karma is like a weed – no matter how much you spend, it keeps coming back with reinforcements!

If you want to speed-level a crafting discipline, gw2crafts.net is your friend. I’ve maxed all 9 crafting professions out using that site.

Once you purchase the game, be sure to utilize the various boosters available from the bartender in your guild hall – Experience, crafting, gathering, etc.

Duzze.4068

Oh wow, well I figure I focus on leveling first before I focus on the crafting aspect. Also I am not yet in a guild so I’ll have to to look into that later. Glad to know Karma can come back like weed.

Duzze.4068

So I am running into a problem. I seem to be under leveling. I have so far completed Queensdale and Kessex Hills and hit level 25, but the moment I get into the area to the right. It is 25-35. I am only getting quests that let me do 26 on Up while I am STILL 25. AM I doing it wrong?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are several other L1-15 maps to explore as well as other ‘next-level’ maps. If you open your World Map (press ‘M’), you will see some Waypoints unlocked in different maps (1 for each starter map next to a race’s Capital City). You can visit those maps for more XP.

Or, if you prefer, you can do Dynamic Events in those 2 maps to raise your XP level, as well as Jumping Puzzles, Mini-Dungeons, etc., etc.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you have trouble locating the other starter area’s waypoint that is already known to all accounts, you can ask for someone else, a guildie maybe, to ping them in chat. If you click on the starter area pinged waypoint in chat it will open the map to that spot and you can waypoint over there.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Also, don’t just focus on hearts. Events are where the XP (and fun) is.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA