No way to unlock traits except pve?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Yes I know this patch happened in April, but I’ve got a new level 80 mesmer and….I CAN’T PLAY IT because my traits are locked out unless I want to go chasing things all over pve land (which I don’t want to do).

Is there any way I can get my traits unlocked? Yes skillpoints I know, but rememebr I also need them for my….SKILLS, not to mention that something like 300 (!!!!) are required.

Also, why is this new barrier to alts here anyways? Who asked for this 2 years after release anyhow?

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

Posted by: Highchu.3806

Highchu.3806

The only way is through PvE unlocks or purchasing with Skill Points. If you are short on skill points farm the Frostgorge Sound Champ train and they should start adding up fairly quickly. I think the new system is supposed to replace the old Training Manuals and offer players an option unlock for free rather than paying. It just ends up taking more work and skill points which is really annoying. Nothing we can do about it though.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Just do the minimum required to get the build you want and let the others go, for now at least. That way it won’t take near as many skill points and time. You can always do more later.

Sorry, best answer I can give you right now.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Some are only obtainable in WvW or EoTM, so it somewhat balances out (though personally, I don’t think it’s right that anyone’s forced into a specific part of the game if they don’t want to be).

Buy the traits you absolutely will use (and are PvE-only, if you don’t like PvE), leave the rest. Unlock the ones you can get in WvW or EoTM. The system sucks, and I hate it on my new alt as well, but there’s no need to waste money buying traits you won’t use.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

But you are NOT forced as there is the buy option for all of them.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I think most of the people who are angry with the trait change, is becuase it now forces them to actualy do work to unlock their traits. not only is doing some of them a real waste of time (like map comp), but they have to waste even more time looking at all their traits to figure out which ones are worth taking. I recommend looking at the meta builds for your class, it will help you figure out which traits are more useful to have. Most of the events to unlock actualy aren’t that hard, it’s just making sure you have the map explore to them that’s the hard part. some of the low-level events (taidha, modniir etc.) are actually world bosses and you can look at a timer to see when it starts. the ones that are more a waste of time you can just buy them from the trainer (that’s what I did).

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I think most of the people who are angry with the trait change, is becuase it now forces them to actualy do work to unlock their traits. not only is doing some of them a real waste of time (like map comp), but they have to waste even more time looking at all their traits to figure out which ones are worth taking. I recommend looking at the meta builds for your class, it will help you figure out which traits are more useful to have. Most of the events to unlock actualy aren’t that hard, it’s just making sure you have the map explore to them that’s the hard part. some of the low-level events (taidha, modniir etc.) are actually world bosses and you can look at a timer to see when it starts. the ones that are more a waste of time you can just buy them from the trainer (that’s what I did).

…….and for new players that want to try traits out and play thier way like Anet said, not going to happen when only 9 traits in Adept tier are in PvE and in lvl appropriate zones,

( Most are either champs in lvl 50+ zones or need large groups to do ) so for new players, not happening !!

See

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/first