Nooby question, but please help.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Archist.6907

Archist.6907

I started my first character a few weeks ago, and I’ve been playing a lot, but theres still so much I don’t know. My character is only level 70. Anyways the other day, there was a mystic forge daily, and I thought it’d be cool to put 4 rare lvl 80 greatswords in and see what I get. Well 3rd time ever using the mystic forge, I pull out dusk. I freaked out because I have friends that put hundreds of gold in and get nothing, and because I’m such a new character to get such a rare weapon. Well I was wondering, how much would twilight cost now since I already got the prec required for it? I wonder if it’ll be an easier to reach goal since I lucked out, or if I should just sell it. Anyways, thanks guys.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Here is a link that will show roughly how much it will cost to craft. You can subtract the cost of buying Dusk from this since you have it. The current buy price (low end) for Dusk is 970 gold. The default I linked shows materials needed if you craft Dusk. So make sure you click the TP option beside Dusk and it will show all the other mats needed. Like I said just subtract the cost of buying Dusk for the total.

https://www.gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/30704-Twilight

It will cost you roughly 1290 gold at this time to make if you buy everything else needed. The market fluctuates so that is going to change +/- from time to time.

If you are a member of the site, which is free and use the API you can also select to show cost based on materials you already have.

There are also some sort of hidden costs that might affect you as a new player. For example you will need a lot of karma or other non-gold currencies to buy some things needed that can not be purchased with gold for example Obsidian Shards.

If you really want Twilight it is probably worth keeping Dusk and slowly work toward your goal. Precursors are hard to come by as I am sure you know.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Firstly, grats.
Second do you actually like the skin for twilight?
If yes look at the guide, figure out what crafting levels you will need and plan your time around dungeon runs for a while.
Personally I dislike twilight so the answer for me is easy.

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

If you want twilight just work towards it.
I believe this site tells you most you need to know:
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/30704-Twilight

In a nutshell:
Gift of mastery
You will need several non-buyable items, but most of that stuff is fun to aquire. Will take a while tho.
Gift of twilight
~300 gold + some dungeon farming and probably the costs of leveling the crafting professions.
Gift of fortune
~1000 gold (wow, that went up massively since AdInf was released)

Again: think hard about it. If you want twilight, get it. If you dont want twilight, dont tell yourself you do and just use the money to work towards what you want.

Edit: trogdor was faster it seems ^^

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Well at least I know my math was about right after seeing your similar approximation. I have not had my coffee yet this morning.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Archist.6907

Here is a link that will show roughly how much it will cost to craft. You can subtract the cost of buying Dusk from this since you have it. The current buy price (low end) for Dusk is 970 gold. The default I linked shows materials needed if you craft Dusk. So make sure you click the TP option beside Dusk and it will show all the other mats needed. Like I said just subtract the cost of buying Dusk for the total.

https://www.gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/30704-Twilight

It will cost you roughly 1290 gold at this time to make if you buy everything else needed. The market fluctuates so that is going to change +/- from time to time.

If you are a member of the site, which is free and use the API you can also select to show cost based on materials you already have.

There are also some sort of hidden costs that might affect you as a new player. For example you will need a lot of karma or other non-gold currencies to buy some things needed that can not be purchased with gold for example Obsidian Shards.

If you really want Twilight it is probably worth keeping Dusk and slowly work toward your goal. Precursors are hard to come by as I am sure you know.

Wow, sounds like a grind! But by the time I get an established level 80 character I think I could have a good amount of gold. What are your thoughts on ascended gear? I’m new so I don’t really have an opinion, but in all MMOs I’ve ever played i like getting the best gear I can get, but I don’t know how realistic that’s sounds since I’m super new.

Archist.6907

If you want twilight just work towards it.
I believe this site tells you most you need to know:
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/30704-Twilight

In a nutshell:
Gift of mastery
You will need several non-buyable items, but most of that stuff is fun to aquire. Will take a while tho.
Gift of twilight
~300 gold + some dungeon farming and probably the costs of leveling the crafting professions.
Gift of fortune
~1000 gold (wow, that went up massively since AdInf was released)

Again: think hard about it. If you want twilight, get it. If you dont want twilight, dont tell yourself you do and just use the money to work towards what you want.

Awesome! Thanks for that! Branching off that, what are your thoughts on ascended gear? I’m new, so I’m just wondering.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Ascended weapons and trinkets/jewellery absolutely, armour not so much. Personal opinion here.

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

Depends on how fast and how deep you wish to get into fractals of the mist.
Outside of fractals its just a small statboost. An end game goal that you can work towards slowly for the sake of maximization.
If you are interested in fractals you should work on your first set as soon as possible and farm the second and subsequent sets inside.
Thankfully guild wars 2 doesnt have much of a gear spiral. Asc is for fractals and all who want it. But if you are more interested in a specific skin there is no reason not to work towards that first.
Asc is also relatively cheap. Its still a ton of money for a new player, but its very doable.
All in all I would probably recommend to not go for asc armor until you have the laurels to buy ascended trinkets(amulets mostly), since without them the armor will be relatively useless to you.
The game gives you the choice, there is only one thing I can strongly advice you not to do with your money: gambling.
You got lucky with the mystic forge and ofc there is the possibility to be lucky again right away, but it usually doenst pay off.
Dont gamble until you have enough money to waste a thousand gold without regret, on everything else you may spend as you like. The game is about buying the shiny stuff that looks most appealing, even if you stop using it two weeks after.
Thats just how it is in gw2.

Personally the first thing I did was 1 full asc set of equipment, since I wanted to get into fractals.
2nd. Incinerator.
3rd. Wasting money on expensive things like fatebreaker, gemstore items or ad infinitum.
Next up will probably be finishing some expensive achievement.