OMG If you only knew this - tips for new players

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

Compiled from another gw2 forum before these came online, but some real gems in here

1. Purchase your gathering items asap. That’s a pick, an axe and a sickle that only cost a few copper and allow you to loot resource nodes.
2. There’s an option “melee targeting assistance” or similar that prohibits you from walking through enemies. It might be better to turn it off, depending on your preference.
3. Type in “/wiki” to open the GW2 wiki.
4. When playing on a foreign client you can instantly translate any game-text into English by pressing the right Ctrl button.
5. You can edit your own music into the game and have it play during different times as explained here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._music_in_gw2/
6. Press the Cogwheel top right corner of your inventory
Press Deposit all collectibles to put all crafting materials into the bank. (which later can be accessed from the crafting UI from a workstation)
7. Press hide/show bags to make the inventory window into one big bag insted of seperate bags
8. Also, finish a zone 100% to get nice masterwork (green) loot and a black lion key. (all hearts, points of interrest, vistas and waypoints
9. Don’t delete your first character without first sending your backpack,goggles to your new char
10. After you finish a ? quest, go to the ? guy and check for gear upgrades, they usually sell great stuff
11. Be sure to save 10 silver for when you hit level 11, as you have to buy access to your traits
12. Don’t buy violet weapons from vendor in the Mists, it has no dps (its probably for WvWvW). Buy exotic orange weapons.
13. Trebuchet on Battle of Kyhlo is op, it deals 9-11k aoe dmg and you can rush it from start and shoot before enemies take first base (windmill/mansion).
14. Cannon on beach map can be used, you just need to carry cannonballs from nearby ship. It deals 5k aoe dmg and you can shoot both beach and docks with it )
15. Never run away once you’ve completed a Dynamic Event. Try to talk to the NPC’s around you are try to follow any of the conversations NPC’s may have. There may just be one or more events coming up within a minute or 2
16. The mails u receive when u complete a heart are not just mails….take the money inside
17. If you see a resource node don’t rush to it only you can mine it.
18. - you can join the Heart of the Mist by going in Hero – PvP – click Heart of the Mist icon in the top left
19. You can travel to every Capitals by going to Lion’s Arch (take the Asura Portal in any Capital)
20. You have the option “sell junk” in your bags (in the bottom right), it will automatically sell all useless non-salvageable crap.
21. Keybind your weapon swap (as a matter of fact, I suggest to keybind everything
22. I suggest to turn ON auto loot in the options (you just spam “F” when you zerg instead of looting every corpse)
23. You can adjust your mouse turning speed with the slider in the options.
24. EXPLORE EVERYTHING. I found an awesome jumping puzzle yesterday in Lion’s Arch. A dead pirate was messing with me all the time.
25. #1 ability is your auto-attack, so you don’t need to keep spamming it like I did…
26. Adjust your Camera rotation speed to very high to remove that sluggish feeling when you mouse turn
27. You don’t need the bank to access your bank items. Any crafting stations come with bank slots.
28. There are no mail boxes. You can send items away with a right-click, and collect them through upper menu bar.
29. There is a range indicator on your abilities. There’s a red bar below the skill if you’re out of range.
30. You can do every single crafting profession in the game. You can have two active at a time. It costs some coin to switch them out and the fee depends on how many recipes you have. You don’t lose the recipes you have when you switch.
31. DON’T pass up on a harvesting spot. It literally takes 2 seconds, it’s free XP, and you never know if you’ll want to take up a profession that uses it later… you can also sell the raw mats when the TP is up.
32. If you’re getting into areas with mobs that are too difficult, but you’ve done all the other events in that zone (happened to me around level 20), check out the other races’ areas! You get scaled down to match the levels in those zones and can do all of their quests and events while still earning XP and Gear to match your own level!
33. you don’t need to be there when an event ends in order to get credit for it..
34. stick around after a dynamic event, some npc’s turn into karma vendors, (just like haert vendors often do)
35. if you’re being chased by a ranged monster, you can use another monster(a neutral one like a boar would work well) to block the bullets, thereby angering the neutral monster and causing a fight between the two, letting you escape more easily
36. You can redye your armor on your hero page absolutely free.
37. You can /kneel in front of statues and idols to receive some short-term boons.

Posted by: SHaTT.5932

SHaTT.5932

This is a great list. I personally did not know about the bag combining thing. Thanks!

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

/wiki???

That… is very useful! Thanks!

Posted by: crimlet.9872

crimlet.9872

“22. I suggest to turn ON auto loot in the options (you just spam “F” when you zerg instead of looting every corpse)”
Zerg?

One tip that seemed pretty useful to me was switching q/e with a/d. So instead of using q/e to strafe or a/d while holding down r-click, you have a/d set to strafe.

I know some other players that did the same thing. I’m not sure what most players prefer, but I think the a/d strafe is standard for most modern games. I set it when I started, and am now lvl 7. Thus far, it has worked very well for me.

Posted by: ZtriDer.9573

ZtriDer.9573

Thanks for the tips Have them all noted down A littel bump for others to take notis of this.

EDIT: This forum should have a “vote/like” button so people can search for good upvoted posts.

Lost where no man has been lost before!

Posted by: Game.3085

Game.3085

thank you for the list that answers a lot of questions

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

/wiki???

And its not just to open the wiki, you can search the wiki from the in-game chat. Just type
/wiki (whatever you’re looking for)

Ex.
/wiki xp or /wiki exp or /wiki experience
(to see how GW2 calculates experience)

or

/wiki condition damage

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

Posted by: DrNightmare.7902

DrNightmare.7902

omg —- what have I been doing for 32 levels — I didnt know like 40% of this

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

The /wiki and /kneel ones I didn’t know about :O

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

for the full list of emotes, and their use, see..

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Emote

^including how to synchornize your emotes with other players

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You can drag your mini map to the top right of your screen and down by grabing it from the border on the right. (same work with chat)

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Wanted to add:

38. You can only have 10 emails from other players in your inbox at one time. If you don’t delete them you won’t receive any new ones.

Fabulous list btw

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

“16. The mails u receive when u complete a heart are not just mails….take the money inside”

Hehe I didn’t notice the money in them until second or third area

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Sell junk and red bar below skill… I’ve always been wondering what that bar was for! Thanks a bunch!

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Thanks for the “/kneel” tip. Didn’t know that

I’ll add my own.

39. You can set any of your abilities to auto-activate whenever the cooldown is done by CTRL-Clicking on them. Most useful on the standard “1” attack.

40. If you’re being left behind in levels, try crafting. It gives massive XP.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Thanks for the “/kneel” tip. Didn’t know that

I’ll add my own.

39. You can set any of your abilities to auto-activate whenever the cooldown is done by CTRL-Clicking on them. Most useful on the standard “1” attack.

40. If you’re being left behind in levels, try crafting. It gives massive XP.

You can only have 1 skill auto though.. having your spammable attack as auto is wiser than having a long cd skill auto, unless you’re willing to spam that hotkey, which I personally wouldn’t want.

Also, anyone knows what sPvP and Fumble means?
For sPvP, I’m assuming server PvP, but just want to be sure. If it’s server PvP, that’s WvW or what? o.o

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

(edited by Qelris.6901)

Posted by: Payne.5062

Payne.5062

“22. I suggest to turn ON auto loot in the options (you just spam “F” when you zerg instead of looting every corpse)”

…if you dont like autoloot you can easily press F twice and it will pick everything up (that way you wont miss any upgrades and always know what you have pick’t up)

Posted by: Gazille.7381

Gazille.7381

Nice list, I learnt some things.

Posted by: polarity.8906

polarity.8906

One tip that seemed pretty useful to me was switching q/e with a/d. So instead of using q/e to strafe or a/d while holding down r-click, you have a/d set to strafe.

I know some other players that did the same thing. I’m not sure what most players prefer, but I think the a/d strafe is standard for most modern games. I set it when I started, and am now lvl 7. Thus far, it has worked very well for me.

Keyboard turning is one of the worst things a game can set as a default, because players get used to doing it to the point they won’t change, and it puts you at a severe disadvantage to players who use the mouse, and can turn much quicker.

WASD is the default control for just about every game out there, and A+D are always strafe, not turn, except in a few MMOs (because of some misguided attempt to be gaming-noob friendly).

There are few things more pathetic in PvP than a player who slowly putters around trying to get you in front of them to attack, while by side strafing and mouse turning, you remain planted firmly behind them, doing damage to them while they can’t do any in return.

I do have keyboard turning bound, to Alt+A and Alt+D, for the rare occasions where I have to take my hand off my mouse. Putting it there freed up Q and E. Q is target nearest enemy (right next to next enemy on the tab key), and E is a much more convenient place to have interact bound than whatever it was before (it might have been F, which I now use for swap weapons, although that’s also on my mouse).

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

For sPvP, I’m assuming server PvP, but just want to be sure. If it’s server PvP, that’s WvW or what? o.o

sPvP is Structured PvP, meaning the battles you can enter from heart of the mists

WASD is the default control for just about every game out there, and A+D are always strafe, not turn, except in a few MMOs (because of some misguided attempt to be gaming-noob friendly).

unfortunately it seem to be ad for turning not in a few MMO’s but about every single one, and is one of the first things i got in and change to strafe when I start an MMO

Posted by: Ildac.5631

Ildac.5631

Another good hint: When you start crafting, be absolutely sure to DISCOVER every recipe that your materials allow before just mass-producing one item. It gives you a LOT more XP and helps to conserve your ingredients!

Posted by: gratefuldea.8132

gratefuldea.8132

The only thing I’d like to add about Discovery and crafting is that many new players don’t know how to Dicover a recipe. So in brief, look at the components needed to make one of the first recipes you are given. Make the components necessary to craft that recipe, but do not craft it. Now look at your other beginning recipes. Look for a component that states something like “used in the making of XXX with Vitality” for example. XXX could be armor, weapons, etc. Make one of these components. Add all the new components you’ve made into the Discovery window and BAM you’ve just discovered a new recipe. Craft it. This is true for most crafting professions, but Cooking and Jeweler work a little differently. For a Jeweler, save two of each of the first 6 gems you discover while questing and gathering (Garnet, Tiger’s Eye, Malachite, etc.) or purchase what you need from the Trading Post. Each jewelery piece you make will require a Copper Setting, so make 12 of those, then make 6 Hooks (for earrings) and 6 Bands (for rings) and head to the discovery window. Add the settings, the hooks and the first gem type. Discover and make it (1 only). Add back the settings, the gem type you used and the bands. Discover and make it. Keep doing this for all 12 gems you got. This is the secret to Discovery, I’ve heard tons of people tell you to do it, but noone ever really says how. Sure you could just keep throwing stuff in slots hoping to luck onto a recipe, but this really is a much easier structured way to do it.

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

Type /age to see how much real life misses you!

Posted by: Literatii.6031

Literatii.6031

FYI, it’s not just skill slot 1 that is on auto-attack. If you use CTRL+Mouse 2 you can set a different skill (1-6) as auto-attack as you wish.

Posted by: VanderBeltLegacy.4736

VanderBeltLegacy.4736

i dont like the idea of doing a 100% map completion, just to delete a character, but 55% else i did, because i learnt some basics in beta,,, each to there own.

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

41. If you’re low on coin, somewhere out in the wild, and need to reach a major city, you can get there for free by entering any of the four WvW maps (open the menu for that with [B]). You will spawn next to an Asura Gate to Lion’s Arch. (Don’t do this if there’s a queue… not only would it mean extra wait time, you would also take up a queue slot of someone who legitimately wants to WvW.)

42. You don’t need expensive big bags unless you are a crafter… getting into a healthy habit of Salvaging > Send all collectibles to bank will keep you going even with just the 6 – 8 slot bags you get as quest rewards and loot. Only as a crafter will you be using a lot of bagspace for your crafting components.

43. Crafters can create bags whose contents are invisible at vendors, and are untouched by the automatic sorting when you ‘compact’… if you are someone who has troubles with accidentally selling gear you are actually using, get yourself one of those bags to keep all your shinies in.

44. Jute drops the most realiably from Bandits and Skritts

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Thank you for #29, I kept thinking, “why is there no way to tell if I’m in range or not!” ;P. And #35 is genius!

May I also suggest:

• The price in the lower right hand corner of an item’s tool tip is what a VENDOR will pay you for it. Not the suggested price at the Trading Post (yes I’ve seen this a lot on my server). Excessively low listings like these are losing the seller a lot of money and under cutting everyone else so far it isn’t worth them using the TP.
  • Banners – know how they work, don’t just pluck one up because you can. They will change your action bars and its possible you could run out of range of the group costing us all the buff. If you want to pick it up and carry it to the next fight for the group that’s much appreciated though. On my warrior I typically put 2 – 3 on my bars for group events / world bosses so i can’t carry them all but my cooldown is really long on em so I cant just re-drop em if you run off with it either.

Posted by: Tatty.9680

Tatty.9680

I didn’t know this one – #45 If you press ‘Y’ there is a tab where you can see who is looking for a group. This is usful for dungeons and quests.

Fear The Chickens – http://cluk.enjin.com/

Posted by: Garandhero.4731

Garandhero.4731

29. There is a range indicator on your abilities. There’s a red bar below the skill if you’re out of range.

WOW – THANK YOU!

Honestly I think Areanet needs to improve the tutorial and add better description to skills.. some are SO vague!

Posted by: Just.6392

Just.6392

Sir, you should get a medal.

Great information! Thanks!

Posted by: ksirob.5718

ksirob.5718

Also to all that don’t know:
trading post takes 15% cut, 5% at posting an item and an additional 10% at sale
keep that at mind when selling anything, especially crafted items or you will most of a time be losing money.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

/wiki???

Small but important detail , type:

/wiki ranger

or whatever you are looking for after /wiki and it will take you straight to that section on the wiki.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

41. If you’re low on coin, somewhere out in the wild, and need to reach a major city, you can get there for free by entering any of the four WvW maps (open the menu for that with [B]). You will spawn next to an Asura Gate to Lion’s Arch. (Don’t do this if there’s a queue… not only would it mean extra wait time, you would also take up a queue slot of someone who legitimately wants to WvW.)

Why Q up for WvW if you can do it by going to the hearst mist (sPvP) instantly and do just that.

Posted by: madsamurai.6795

madsamurai.6795

Whoa!! I didn’t know about the /kneel thing for the boons. Man this game is pretty awesome…

Looking for a friendly, helpful and super casual guild?
The Fellowship Of Valor
[US-Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: VincentCross.6954

VincentCross.6954

I’m ashamed that I forgot about this. (You can /kneel in front of statues and idols to receive some short-term boons.) I did that all the time in GW1 and never thought about trying it in GW2. :P

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

sPvP is, as mentioned before, “Structured” PvP which limits your armor/weapons to a few sets of pre-built stats and a free set of sigils/marks for your armor and weapons. Its played in a maximum of 8 v 8 matches on random servers with preset map rotations or 5 v 5 tournaments.

Fumble is a “Glancing Blow” which happens more often when you fight monsters of a higher level or if you have the condition “Weakness” placed on you. Glancing blows do 50% damage and cannot crit. In other words, “Weakness” is a very powerful damage reduction tool.

Posted by: crimlet.9872

crimlet.9872

Thanks so much for the people giving information on the a/d strafe bind. I wasn’t sure it was such a great idea at first. I’m really glad I did it now, and will stick to it. And will recommend it to everybody since you all explained it’s clearly the best way to go.

Honestly I think Areanet needs to improve the tutorial and add better description to skills.. some are SO vague!

Big time! When I posted something saying this game is the least intuitive game I ever played, some people argued that it’s really easy and intuitive. Probably if you just want to l-click hit and use some hot-key abilities. But there is really much that isn’t explained when we’re thrown into a big action sequence as soon as we first enter the game. With so much going on around that you can’t even pay attention to the tips that would pop up during game play.

Posted by: windsage.2039

windsage.2039

You should add that you don’t have to actually travel to the trader guy / Auction house person.

If you click on the Black Lion Trading company item in the menu in the upper left of your screen, it pulls up the cash shop. There are tabs along the edge of the cash shop and one of them is the auction house.

So, you can pull up the trading interface from anywhere.

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

I knew all of that but 4, 15, 34, and 35. I mostly don’t pay attention to NPCs who sell items. I don’t use a majority of them anyways.

One extra tip: when you go to a merchant to sell, you don’t have to use the merchant’s window to sell. You can go to your inventory bags and now Sell will appear in the right click menu.

I’m already used to turning my camera with the keyboard AND my mouse, therefore I can’t relearn esdf with s and f as strafe. It’s easy to circle strafe with the keyboard too, doing it with the mouse is harder and more unpredictable. I can just imagine the camera flying all over the place.

Posted by: ulfvongunther.8756

ulfvongunther.8756

Extremely useful topic, ARENANET could possibly send an in-game mail to starter players , so they can read this info dump from start!

I had to discover all these features by myself, it took me quite some time (till I’ve reached lvl 30 W/ my ranger, prolly 25h in-game), so this could help all the (non-forum-dweller) players!

PS.: The Link in the 5.th point is broken, could you please fix it?

Posted by: Ahses.4062

Ahses.4062

The reddit page is gone.

Posted by: Fallon.4253

Fallon.4253

12. Don’t buy violet weapons from vendor in the Mists, it has no dps (its probably for WvWvW). Buy exotic orange weapons.

These are steady weapons. Basically they help you figure out how much flat damage your abilities do. They are not capable of critting and such. They’re there to help you out with new specs and testing them on the golem dummies in the Mists before you jump into Structured or WvWvW with your real pvp weapons. It takes out a number of variables when tweaking your spec so results will be more reliable.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

Thanks for the tips. number 6 really helps alot being able to auto send all your mats to your collections in one click. also i didnt know about the kneeling at statues for boons. i think gw 1 had that didnt it? but im gonna try it thanks again.

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

9. Don’t delete your first character without first sending your backpack,goggles to your new char

Could someone elaborate? I’m not much of a PvE player, I’m merely building my toon for WvW at the moment.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Someone official should sticky this thread .. it’s packed with all kinds of useful info for any player.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: DABhand.2079

DABhand.2079

For future reference OP, Hold ALT and press 3 on the number pad (with num lock on) gives this ?

EDIT: Ahhh maybe you did :P not allowing ascii huh

Posted by: polarity.8906

polarity.8906

Don’t destroy all that gear you bought with karma once it gets replaced, just because you can’t vendor it or salvage it.

Save it up, and when you have 4 items of the same quality, you can take them to the Mystic Forge in Lion’s Arch, to combine into a new item that you can trade, salvage or vendor.

[edit]

Tried this again with 4 soulbound green items that I couldn’t vendor or salvage, and the resulting item couldn’t be vendored or salvaged too. Either it got fixed, or the final item gets it’s status from the majority of items in the mix.

(edited by polarity.8906)

Posted by: Lucky.3870

Lucky.3870

I like most of those tips. Nice list.

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

Well well. I’m 80 and I had a couple of /facepalm ididntknowthats.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Hold alt and click any spot on your map to place a personal waypoint. Alt-click it again to remove it.

Hold shift and click on the map to ping points for teammates or draw lines on the minimap like you did in Guild Wars.

Remember that you can combo with yourself!

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ