OMG If you only knew this - tips for new players

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Morjus.2867

Morjus.2867

Some items on the list are no longer relevant, like the one mentioning the raid on the Capricorn map that was removed ages ago. Some are simply confusing, mentioning mechanics no longer present in the game(like you don’t receive mails for heart completion). Since the topic is still pinned, are there any plans to update the list for more up to date information?

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

“Maguuma Wastes” only counts the Silverwastes and Dry Top in terms of daily gathering. Some people I think may have trouble with that one.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: Gilan.1307

Gilan.1307

I’ve come back to playing this game from a long time, like early 2013. The highest char i have is a level 36 Ele. I am pretty confused as to what exactly i do now.

Kind of overwhelmed.

Posted by: Ruffsta.3608

Ruffsta.3608

Me too Gilan. Haven’t played since it first came out. Im installing as i type this. Im really interested in coming back with the expansion. Just kind of nervous about what to expect and if Im at an disadvantage for not playing for so long.

Posted by: Cerebrate.6832

Cerebrate.6832

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Tip for new players: Listen to NPCs. Both audio- and text-wise. And pay attention to the world around your character.

I see so many players, both new and ‘experienced’, running around oblivious to NPCs and as a result missing out on a lot of content, chests, rewards, events, hidden events, etc etc. I see it every single day.

The most obvious example is with events; just because one event finished does not mean there’s not another one beginning in 30 s or so. Listen and pay attention to what NPCs are saying and doing, and you’ll get A LOT more out of the game.

Posted by: mrjoey.1926

mrjoey.1926

extremely helpful man!! thanks so much for putting this together for us, and to all the additional people that added extra tips =)

Posted by: Jitson.6051

Jitson.6051

1.) For all armor/weapons that is NOT Exotic/Rare (so Basic, Fine, Masterwork gear) you receive and cannot use or do not plan to use for another character, SALVAGE them. This is a key way of managing inventory space, and minimizing time selling stuff to the Trading Post (Since you will have salvaged them into cloth, leather and wood! Of which it is up to you whether you would like to save for crafting or sell for money)

The Salvage kit doesn’t really matter, except in the case of Exotics/Rares:

It is up to you whether you want to salvage Exotics/Rares for Ectos (and globs of DarkMatter from Exotics), but personally I like to sell my Rares and salvage my Exotics (that I don’t need) with the highest grade salvage kit (Black Lion SK).

2.) In higher level areas it will become more important to “kite” enemies (making enemies come to you, as you run circles around them) while fighting, especially larger groups of enemies, as opposed to just standing there using your skills.

Get used to moving around, using your abilities and being aware of your defensive options, if you find yourself being overwhelmed by enemies. Running away/past enemies IS a valid option, even if the inconveniences of dying in GW2 are minimal, haha.

As such it can be easier to survive in higher level areas, or unfamiliar areas, if you use your class’s best ranged weapon, instead of your primary DPS weapon set. This will allow you to keep a safer distance from enemies while still doing damage to them.

3.) Karma merchants in Cursed Shore sell level 80 Exotic armor sets, so if you’re short on gold but have an abundance of Karma, they are great options for new armor sets.

4.) There are tonics that turn you into cute little Blue, Pink or Black Quaggans, AND a tonic that turns you into an adorable Christmas Dolyak! They can all be bought relatively cheaply from the TP, so stock up and enjoy the fun!

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

So many of these “tips” are outdated and wrong. No I don’t need to list them. ANet should please go in and make the appropriate updates so that people have current information to go on. imho

… just call me … Tim :)

Posted by: MasterBlaser.6108

MasterBlaser.6108

I know this is pretty late into the game now, But is anyone wanting to team up (new Player and yes I am a noob never played this game before) I have my own Teamspeak server, but we can use skype/Discord as well!

If you are interested let me know please!

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C before posting your reply. Just in case.

Posted by: DKRathalos.9625

DKRathalos.9625

Hello guys I just played this game like two days ago, I bought the HoT expansion which allow me to boost to lvl 80 character. Well I kinda walk around verdant brink these 2 days.
Can you guys give some “Must do” Activity in this game?

So far I learned several “must do” activity after 2 days playing
1. Fractal
2. Hero Point
3. Mastery point
Is there anything else?

Also being warrior I was given axe and shield as my 80 weapon but I want to use greatsword, do I need to craft it if I want the good status as the lvl 80 weapon starter? because so far I joined map boss like matriach or so and only got yellow at best.