Once you have the armour looks you want what's the point of PvP?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

You miss the point of his problem

It’s not getting the carrot that matters, but the motivation the carrot inspires.
People need concrete goals to work towards, and aesthetics simply don’t cut it for most people who have had time to get what they want after 80.

So to answer your question OP, currently there is no Significant point to keep playing the game. It’s disappointing, and hopefully something will be injected into the game so players have a reason to log on.

i have a concrete reason for playing.

i’m really enjoying the fun of it. in terms of not having the pressure of a bunch of angry players on my team demanding to know why everyone is noobs because they’re not winning enough to get their pvp carrots fast enough to somehow prove they’re the best at something which is, essentially, a team thing.

while team sports are exciting to play, and watch, they take the fun out of it pretty quickly. watch a losing team lose its players and coaches every year. there’s too much rage and anger as everyone wants the carrot. it’s not positive. it attracts only the worst element of the pvp culture, drawing in the loud obnoxious screamers.

mind you, i do find they’re rather quiet in this game. must be the lack of pvp reward armour which granted them the ability to steamroll.

i love this game. i love it for the way it offers you the chance to seriously enjoy playing the game, rather than to play the game seriously. even pvp. anyone can join. everyone can have fun with it. and no one’s hanging out in the spawn point just collecting pvp points by being there afk. because THAT’s the kind of thing carrots inspire. afk’ers, leeches, screamers and noob-calling rage quitters.

you want a ladder? make your own. arrange your own tournaments. i hear that’s coming. but leave the rest of us out of it. some of us really do like fun. some of us think fun IS the carrot. we took the red pill.

Posted by: The Dude.6942

The Dude.6942

Not here to rant or poke holes at the game or anything. This game is awesome and it’s the best PvP I’ve ever played, having done WoW arena for 3 years. I just can’t shake the feeling that once I have the armour set I want there’s nothing to aim towards in PvP. I enjoy the PvP and right now I play just to play but that will wain in time.

So glory rank is simply time, Free Tournaments are just another pool of gear looks. The one thing I don’t know about is Paid Tournaments, is there/will there be a ranking system? Some way of checking which teams are really good? While I hate to compare, something akin to WoW’s arena rating system. I enjoy a game much more if I having something to aim for, whether it’s looks or rating.

I know I’m going to get a fair few “just play for fun” responses, but that dosn’t cut it months after launch.

Thanks, Rage.

you probably don’t want to hear this but you can play other games or start another character and just occasionally play gw2. after all you have to pay nothing to log in once a while.

Posted by: amradio.2513

amradio.2513

Play to be the best, play for fame, play for notoriety, elevate your guild to top status, play to win future tournaments, play just to play.

You keep saying months down the line that won’t cut it, but why won’t it? Ive been dancing for a good 5 years, and do it all the time just because I want to get better at it. I’ve done martial arts a good 10 years for the same exact reason. If you like to do something, you will keep doing it, if only to become the best.

If you do not have any of those desires, simply put, the game is just not a long term thing for you. That whole carrot-on-a-stick mmorpg is really just a device to keep ppl playing a game long after it has ceased to be fun. When it ceases to be fun stop playing. Its not like there’s a sub, they dont need you to play all the time. Pop in and pop out. I played GW1 off and on for YEARS, and it was always easy to get back into because it didn’t have that gear progression nonsense.

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

…I’m personally perfectly fine playing the game without ever being told I’m better than someone else or someone else is better than me. Really. I am. I read through…I don’t know, 75% of the first page and…the argument just seems a little childish. Or what it turned into, anyways.

Posted by: Cordlessjoe.2415

Cordlessjoe.2415

The game Is kinda crap tbh it’s blatantly obvious there’s no content ATM there’s really nothing in pve worth anyones time. yea wvw is fun but I would rather waste my time and get a reward than just waste my time.

Posted by: manwhat.1745

manwhat.1745

The game Is kinda crap tbh it’s blatantly obvious there’s no content ATM there’s really nothing in pve worth anyones time. yea wvw is fun but I would rather waste my time and get a reward than just waste my time.

If you don’t like the game, then any reward you get is also a waste of time, isn’t it? It all boils down to a bunch of 1s and 0s on Anet’s servers. If you don’t like the game, nobody will mind if you stop playing. After all, you can always come back if you want.

A lot of people missed the OP’s point early on. He likes the game and thinks it’s fun. He just wonders if there will ever be a rating system to keep him coming back, instead of naturally moving on (because he’s had his fun!). I think the answer is ‘probably’. GW1 had ratings, and it’s a highly requested feature, so I’m sure it’ll be implemented eventually.

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

there’ll be yearly championships if i’m not mistaken. is that enough of a ranking?

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

WE PLAY FOR FUN crowd is the worst thing ever happened to this game.
I hope anet is not taking them serious.

That croud is what made GW1 what it is and what they aim for.

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

The Players Helping Players subforum is only for players to ask for or give help to/from other players. The forums are only partially open at this time, and other sections will be rolling out in time. Please help keep the forums clean by staying on topic.