PVE Player - am I doing this right?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mitern.1563

Mitern.1563

I really enjoy PVE and have a great time mapping (and doing events while mapping) and playing Living World Season 2. I only have four more areas to map. I also belong to a very patient Fractals Teaching Guild which meets on Sunday. I participate in the Tarir Vine in Auric Basic (still not sure what to do on the bomb one so I run around trying to kill things while someone pushes the bomb), join boss trains, craft (stuck at Level 450 on several) and play alts. I have a level 80 Mesmer, a level 80 Necromancer and one of every other profession plus a Key Farmer. I am currently focused on the Warrior when not mapping, playing LW2 or one of the other things I mentioned. I like all the classes for different reasons. I am having a blast!

All that being said, should I focus on something to get more out of the game and make playing easier for myself such as, getting ascended armor and weapons? I read the forums and look at metabattle to get ideas but primarily go with builds that have passive effects because I forget I have added certain things when I get in a battle (i.e. Lich Form, Blink, etc.). Since there is so much to do and so many ways to play, I just want to see if I am headed in the right direction.

On a side note, I enjoy being able to faceroll or just auto attacking. I haven’t made it to Dragon Stand yet because I die on the way there but I am getting better in HoT area and even watched as my phantasms took down one of those rolling armadillo things. I stayed out of their way and just created a new phantasm when it killed one. It was GREAT!

Any help, comments, advice would be appreciated. Even just saying, “your playing like the rest of us PVE-ers” would be encouraging. Thank you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Sounds as if you are doing everything right. You push yourself just enough that it’s fun, not so much you feel pressured or like the game is a chore. Keep doing what you’re doing.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

I agree. It seems to me you are playing exactly as you should. The point being, do what is fun. For me, that changes depending on my mood. Sometimes I work on collections, sometimes map exploration and completion. Sometimes HOT, sometimes core Tyria, sometimes I farm. Currently my 2 big projects are the machined weapons collection and working on Twilight.

I never really know what I will end up getting myself into. And that to me is the strength of this game. You can do whatever you feel like and still get rewards and make progress.

Mitern.1563

Thank you both for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

Hello ! You are doing great tbh even better than me, i’ve been enjoying my scrub life lately just doing map completion and WvW.

For the next step i suggest you make either heavy ascended armor for warrior or Light for necro because both of them are so strong in solo play, i also suggest make a viper set because end-game right now are more into condition. Also condi mesmer are so much fun to play, too bad in dun or raid we forced to play tanky role but atleast for mapping it enjoyable, My scrub way to play mesmer is summon 3 clones then let them auto atk on staff and watch the bleed stacking up.

For Dragon Stand i do suggest you stick with necro because once you have asc gears necro either power or condi live like a god and pretty much nothing can take you down in open world content. They are also great and easy to play in WvW.

Finaly, set a long term goal like making Legendary to avoid quitting the game.

(edited by Eros.6801)

Mitern.1563

Eros, thanks for the advice. I kind of wiped out my crafting supplies and gold a few weeks ago when I made Viper Exalted gear with Berserker runes for my Necromancer. So, I took a break from crafting because it gets kind of expensive. By now I may have enough to get my Tailor from 450 to 500.

I really enjoy my Mesmer and like that he has a lot of neat combos and he surprises me with how quickly he can down the enemies in certain areas. My Warrior is only a level 25 but will get more attention when after I map Orr (my last three areas to map, I just finished Frostgorge Sound).

I will use my Necro for Dragon Stand as you suggested but I will keep making small attempts even without Ascended Gear.

My long term goal is to get each Profession to level 80 and get them fully or at least decently equipped. If I get bored with that or need a change, I may buy more character slots and make a Warrior, Ranger and Necromancer for each race. I prefer these professions because they are good for players like myself who just want to relax and play or go kill a bunch of bad guys. Right now all my characters (except my key farmer) are bald, bearded humans.

Thanks again.

Posted by: CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

“Am I doing it right?” is not the question you should ask. Instead, ask YOURSELF “Am I having fun?” If the answer is Yes, then keep doing it the way you are and ignore what others say. That being said, it sounds like you are doing fine in game.