Patch day, Timezones and time of update

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Hi guys,

like the title suggests, does anyone know what time the update will go live for the feature patch and if not does anyone know what timezone anet is in?

Thanks
Red

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Washington, USA.
PDT (Pacific Daylight Savings Time)
In-game Server Time for your displayed clock is also the local time for ANet.

Nobody knows when it will go live, but expect it sometime between now and 10 hours from now, though many of us expect it should go live within about 6-7 hours from now.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

There have been several threads about this already.

Game updates usually go live during the first few hours of the US West Coast working day. Which would be anywhere from 2.5 hours to 7 hours from now.

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

@stin
thank you very much for answering my question

@jorn
Thank you for being pretentious and not answering my question ^^
dont come to the players helping players subforum if youre gonna be snarky

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

@jorn
Thank you for being pretentious and not answering my question ^^
dont come to the players helping players subforum if youre gonna be snarky

I did actually answer your question. You can calculate from the timestamp on my previous post and the indication of hours, within what range the patch is to be expected (at least by me and a number of other people on this forum).

However, I also pointed out that you could have saved yourself the trouble of typing out a new thread, as the question was already asked and answered elsewhere on the forum. In future cases like this, I’ll provide a link to such a thread.

No snark intended.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What Jornophelanthas said is actually completely correct.

Anet never give a specific time for their updates, only a day, but I think they aim to have it up ASAP within the working day. Which means 9am – 5pm (although in my experience working hours for software developers are actually whenever they want or need to get something done).

If I remember correctly they have released patches as early as a few minutes after 9am and as late as 6pm. I assume it depends on the results of last minute stability tests and other prep work.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tibi.5892

Tibi.5892

this sucks big time!
when u announe a patch for a month or so u should have it running at least at 12.00 am GMT. all the world should have the same date till then…
~17.30 here and still no lowsy patch….

Tibi.5892

if they patch the game at 6pm their time it would be 3am the next day here…. how is
that fare?!?

Danikat.8537

There is never going to be a time that’s convenient for everyone. If they patched the game at 12:00 GMT then most people in Europe would still be at work and people in America would just be heading to work and neither group would get to play it for hours anyway. Is that more fair?

Another thing that’s worth thinking about is that some employers contract their employees to work at specific times and if they go outside that they have to pay them overtime (which can be as much as double their normal wage). I have no idea if Anet is one of them but it’s possible. 12:00 GMT is 3:00 am their time. If they have to pay everyone required to be there on patch day to come in from 3:00am (and then other people to cover the normal business hours) once or twice a month that would quickly add up to a lot of extra expense. Which would mean cutting funding from other areas (like making new content) to cover the cost of releasing a patch at a time you consider convenient.

(And if that still sounds reasonable bear in mind it’s not just the developers involved with the patch who would need to be there. They would need at least some of the community team on hand to post patch notes, answer questions, monitor people incorrecting submitting support queries through Facebook etc. and most of the support staff on hand in case players have problems with the patch.)

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Danikat: 12:00 GMT is 4am actually. Both countries have sprung forward now

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong. UK isn’t on summer time yet, so it’s only 7 hours different. 12:00 GMT is actually 5am in Washington.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

(edited by Lankybrit.4598)

Posted by: FirstRyder.2091

FirstRyder.2091

The only reasonable time to patch is during ANET working hours. And not at the very start (time to prepare), or the near the end (time to hotfix). I wouldn’t expect major patches to happen except between 9AM and 3PM server time. It’s currently 9:25AM.

Ryder of Ashes – 80 Elementalist
Serene Ryder – 80 Mesmer
- Dragonbrand -

Danikat.8537

We are on British Summer Time (BST) now. And the USA goes forward a few weeks before us, so both are on summer time. But I’m not 100% sure of the timings because I always get confused by time zones.

Point is they’d be asking their staff to work in the middle of the night just to get the patch out at a time that’s convenient for a different group of people.

Lankybrit.4598

We are on British Summer Time (BST) now. And the USA goes forward a few weeks before us, so both are on summer time. But I’m not 100% sure of the timings because I always get confused by time zones.

Point is they’d be asking their staff to work in the middle of the night just to get the patch out at a time that’s convenient for a different group of people.

Yep, fair point. They will always have patches in the middle of the day their time, not anyone elses.

Updated every Monday

Tibi.5892

it is NOT fare to announce a patch on 15 and have more half of the gamers receive it on 16th. that’s my point! i don’t care about wages, over hours and other stuff!
they said 15th, i want to get it on 15th, not a day later!

Lankybrit.4598

it is NOT fare to announce a patch on 15 and have more half of the gamers receive it on 16th. that’s my point! i don’t care about wages, over hours and other stuff!

It’s their 15th, not necessarily yours, depending on where you live.

You can’t expect them to say: Releases on the 15th (which could be the 16th depending on where in the world you reside).

Because that’s implied.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: Osuritta.6428

Osuritta.6428

This. A good example of a Whine Connoisseur.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Maybe you should consider mentally adjusting the patch times to take your time zone into account. If they say the 15th, it’s your 16th.

Or you could go on not caring about anything but yourself, I guess. Hope that works out for you.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Tibi.5892

this is about a given word, a promise to the whole public not to the guys in their county! so stop labeling and attacking ppl and try to learn some respect.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Are you suggesting that ArenaNet employees should go to work at 3am their time, or that they should alter the earth’s rotation so that Washington state is not one of the latest time zones? Maybe they can move their offices to the IDL so they can be at work the instant our societal construct of a date begins!

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Time to move to a new game Tibi. This is how updates have been done from Day 1.
They may even have found a last minute problem/bug that they have to address that you (or any of us) has a clue about. If anyone needs to learn some respect, I suggest that is you or learn to understand and accept how Anet has ALWAYS provided their updates instead of all the rage. The game will be here tomorrow and the day after, you’ll get to play te patch.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

this is about a given word, a promise to the whole public not to the guys in their county! so stop labeling and attacking ppl and try to learn some respect.

You are aware that it would be more or less impossible to have something released on the right day in the whole world, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: DargorV.8571

DargorV.8571

Yes, how dare he expect a team thats been failing since day 1 to achieve properly.

You need to learn respect and stop expecting them to follow their deadlines. This is how the gw2 community has been holding it together so far, by expecting second rate service, just look at the patch notes..

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yes, how dare he expect a team thats been failing since day 1 to achieve properly.

You need to learn respect and stop expecting them to follow their deadlines. This is how the gw2 community has been holding it together so far, by expecting second rate service, just look at the patch notes..

Hm?
So you have information confirming that the patch will not be released within the next 9 hours then? Because if it is released before that, they have met the deadline. Just like with every single other patch since release.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lankybrit.4598

It’s live now. Really.

Updated every Monday