Picking a new password & more!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: MetaData.2750

MetaData.2750

Hello guys,

I just wanted to take a moment to see which tips you guys have for remembering your password. Ever since the 21 Sept. when Mike made his post, I’ve been telling myself that I should change my guild wars 2 credentials.

I changed my associated email in about 2 weeks from that point, but I was always afraid of changing my password since I don’t want to be that guy that forgets his password. Next to that I was also waiting for the password generator that Mike said would be coming soon, although that never appeared.

And I know that it’s a lame excuse to wait for that, but ah well I guess that I just like to keep things the way they are even when it’s unsecure. But well, I realize that when leading a large guild, it’s fairly unresponsible to not have an unique password so that is why I figured that I have to give in this weekend and update my password as well.

However do you guys really believe in this comic?

I mean, as an IT guy I’ve always been told to use complex patterns and never used ‘normal words’, but at least 1 capital, 2 numbers and at least 10 or more letters. So just changing to something so ‘simple’ just doesn’t feel secure to me dispite what everyone is saying. Which is stupid, I know.

So what did you guys do? Did you change your password to a complex one or did you make one using the ‘comic guide’ or did you simply keep your old? And how are you remembering you new password if you picked on?

Please let me know and hopefully I’ll finally get to it this weekend

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Advice for passwords I have seen.

Choose a phrase that you use a lot or that’s easy for you to remember:

Maybe ‘I really like brussel sprouts’. Choose the first letter of each word, and then add letters or numbers for the web-site you want the password for.

So, maybe irlbsgw2 for Guild Wars 2, for example.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I use two passwords that were randomly generated for a game I played so often it made it easy to memorise them.

Other than that I tend to use combinations of made up words from books and things. Things like ‘mithril’ but usually more obscure. They’re easy for me to remember, but relatively unlikely for anyone else to guess and easy to make long enough to make hacking them by computer incredibly difficult. (I always make it something unrelated to the game/website as well, I wouldn’t use mithrilanduril for LOTRO for example, but I might use it for a music fan site.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

I use two passwords that were randomly generated for a game I played so often it made it easy to memorise them.

Same. I currently go through different variations of my 4 random generated passwords.

Overpaid, Underplayed

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Use a keyboard pattern, and change it quarterly.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I use keypass to keep my passwords.
This way I only need to remember 1 password, the one to open keypass.
http://keepass.info
It can also generate passwords and tell you their strength. It also has something to remind you of changing them.

http://howsecureismypassword.net/ this is also fun to see if your password is secure enough.

Posted by: MetaData.2750

MetaData.2750

mhm, so none of you actually use the method that arenanet suggests with the comic? (besides Danikat)

Posted by: Thord.2017

Thord.2017

Email: Make one only for GW2. This isn’t mine but something like fdofd7fnDFFD@gmail.com is best.

Password: Random keyboard hitting again. This sort of thing kle6dfgljKK45.

Save the password somewhere if you must. If you have to use a word or phrase include numbers and capital letters like h3ll0mIname1sbr4D “hellomynameisbrad” (no I am not called Brad but you get the idea).

Warrior level 80, Guardian level 80, Ranger level 80, Thief level 80, Elementalist level 60

Server: Gunnars Hold [EU]