Playing in Overflow What does it matter

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Djinn.4396

Djinn.4396

I am new to the game like everyone but none of my previous Guilds in any other games centered in any way in GW2. So i have been running around unguilded all this time and I am stuck wondering something. Is playing in the Overflow really all that bad of a thing? Am I being a noob by not traveling when the button shows up?

Posted by: Uberlicious.3956

Uberlicious.3956

if you have friends on a differnt server thats pretty much your only option, but if your friends are on the same server you may get landed in the wrong overflow, they are adding an option to stay in it if you want

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

I find overflow has more people in it and is more often than not a bit “laggier.” I usually change just because I can.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Basically, if you stay on overflow you can play with people from other servers (that happen to be on the same overflow), while on regular server you get to play with people from your own server only, which you might want if you have friends there or guild. Another difference is that you can’t queue for WvW from overflow, you’d have to go to the heart of the mists or a non overflow area for that, and I think the queue stops if you go to an overflow (not sure about that last one, though)

That said, in tonight’s patch they’re adding an option to remain in overflow and not get the “you can go to regular server now” message again.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

No you’re not being a noob, lol. In fact, the prompt to leave the overflow can be annoying, so they’re adding an option to tell the game to leave you alone instead of asking you every 2min. The only real difference with staying in Overflow is that you may not be in the same server as someone you might have played with before. Other than that, it doesn’t affect gameplay, events, etc.

Posted by: Orbys.4895

Orbys.4895

I noticed the same thing Tradewind, at least that over flow always has more people. I am not bothered by any kind of lag. My frustration comes from trying to run dungeons. If I am in overflow, I spam once and I get offers to join a party.

If I am in the regular server, I could spam for 20 minutes before a single other person even shows interest in the dungeon.

Posted by: Drevin.6534

Drevin.6534

Generally not. In fact, if you like/need farming, you can abuse the system a bit and farm resources until you’re satisfied, and then accept going to the normal server and get a new set of gathering nodes ready for you.

The downside for some would be that in the overflow you don’t get the bonuses from the WvWvW, if your server got some.

The only minor annoyance I found from playing on an overflow was that as an EU server player, in the overflow you can meet players from the EN, DE and FR servers, and if you group for a dungeon in an overflow, you might end up with a mixed group who can’t potentially communicate in the same language.