Playing on my laptop...?

Playing on my laptop...?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Braxton.3926

Braxton.3926

Hello again,

I was curious about playing on a laptop I bought to lug around to class with in the fall…

I have a notebook with 8GB RAM, Dual Core 6th gen i5, Intel HD 520 graphics.

It isn’t the end of the world if I cannot get on GW2 with this laptop, being that I really bought it to maximize portability, as it’s a nice portable machine compared to my others and I don’t handwrite so I need something that I can pull out and get going during lectures.

The thing is that I have a 128GB SSD in this machine. Because of that, I did also get a SanDisk Ultafit flash drive, which is a very small form factor USB 3.0 flash drive, which is running amazing and I have most applications on there.

If I get on with the laptop, there is a USB 3.0 1TB HDD that I keep larger files on. Would it work if I were to install GW2 to that drive, or would I run into issues?

I won’t be getting on frequently, I just want to have the ability to get on when I am away from home and have a good amount of downtime. I don’t want to do anything that will mess up the computer, but I do have that USB 3.0 HDD, 1TB.

Thanks again.

Playing on my laptop...?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I play only on a laptop so does my other half. We’ve only played on laptops for several years now. We’ve had several laptops over the years, the oldest I think was about 7 yrs old that just got replaced.
We also use only the data connection thru the cell phones. We are still grandfathered into the unlimited from Verizon.

Playing on my laptop...?

Braxton.3926

I play only on a laptop so does my other half. We’ve only played on laptops for several years now. We’ve had several laptops over the years, the oldest I think was about 7 yrs old that just got replaced.
We also use only the data connection thru the cell phones. We are still grandfathered into the unlimited from Verizon.

Thank you. I have a gaming laptop as well, and that really doesn’t address the big question -

If I were to install it on that laptop I’d install it on an external USB 3.0 1TB HDD, and I wanted to make sure that wouldn’t cause issues. I don’t see why it would but I thought I’d ask.

Playing on my laptop...?

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

ok your specs you mentioned are better then mine and i play off an external drive like you suggest so it is doable. mine runs flawless but im set on lower graphic settings then my decked out desktop on my laptop but its playable and i do a lot of wvw on my laptop

Playing on my laptop...?

Braxton.3926

ok your specs you mentioned are better then mine and i play off an external drive like you suggest so it is doable. mine runs flawless but im set on lower graphic settings then my decked out desktop on my laptop but its playable and i do a lot of wvw on my laptop

Good to know!

And you’re running Windows, not a Mac?

I’ll find out how it runs on Intel HD graphics… my other machines all have nVidia graphics. I don’t expect it to be amazing… just something to do in my down time if I’m in the library or something.

I’ll give it a shot.

Playing on my laptop...?

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

correct and mine runs an intel hd graphics also

Playing on my laptop...?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Hello again,

I was curious about playing on a laptop I bought to lug around to class with in the fall…

I have a notebook with 8GB RAM, Dual Core 6th gen i5, Intel HD 520 graphics.

It isn’t the end of the world if I cannot get on GW2 with this laptop, being that I really bought it to maximize portability, as it’s a nice portable machine compared to my others and I don’t handwrite so I need something that I can pull out and get going during lectures.

The thing is that I have a 128GB SSD in this machine. Because of that, I did also get a SanDisk Ultafit flash drive, which is a very small form factor USB 3.0 flash drive, which is running amazing and I have most applications on there.

If I get on with the laptop, there is a USB 3.0 1TB HDD that I keep larger files on. Would it work if I were to install GW2 to that drive, or would I run into issues?

I won’t be getting on frequently, I just want to have the ability to get on when I am away from home and have a good amount of downtime. I don’t want to do anything that will mess up the computer, but I do have that USB 3.0 HDD, 1TB.

Thanks again.

Run GW2 on the internal SSD. The RW speed differences alone will translate to performance gains running on an SSD (SATA) vs a USB connection. That aside, the RAM and cpu are definitely enough to run gw2, and the integrated graphics (if I’m reading it right) will certainly be able to give decent graphics even on best performance. I often run GW2 on a toshiba C55 when I’m away from home.