Plea for help in choosing a profession

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: doubleomar.2165

doubleomar.2165

Q:

Greetings:

I believe I’m not an alt-oholic by definition, although I’ve made several alts already; the reason being that I cannot seem to find or it isn’t immediately obvious to me which profession would best suit what I’m looking for in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. I’ve already tried all of them, but I cannot trust my own observations because I somehow feel that the professions may not feel the same way after I reach max level. Some people have suggested that I try making an sPvP character which might give me some perspective, but since my purpose isn’t quite sPvP (more on that later), I feel it’s not the proper way to go about it. I ask that, since most of you may already have several professions to max level, if any of you could help me choose a profession based on what I will shortly describe I’m looking for, please do so based on your experiences with them at max level. The reason why this is important to me is that I don’t like spreading my time among several characters, but rather concentrate on and hopefully master just one.

I tend to prefer characters that are hybrids or in some cases jacks of all trades (in World of Warcraft terms, druids or shamans) with an emphasis in utility or support, seldom in straight up direct damage or tanking, with a higher than average skill cap (Not because I’m any good, but rather something that doesn’t feel like dull button mashing; I prefer dynamic over face-roll). I already feel that an engineer, elementalist or even a guardian might fit what I’m looking for, but here’s where you come in with your max level perspective I guess. That said, I tend to appreciate and favor a certain degree of tankiness, as I don’t have the same reaction time as when I was younger and being squishy doesn’t give my reflexes enough cushion.

In terms of aesthetics, I appreciate a certain degree of mysticism (I’m not an RPer per se, but I appreciate feeling personally engaged in the storyline and experience the story fully) so “magical” characters are more appealing than the alternative to me, but more as melee than as caster (I find a proper smash satisfying now and then). This preference doesn’t automatically exclude the options: to give an example, I could play an engineer I guess, though it’s not mystical, but its aesthetics are not as appealing to the fantasy fan in me as say another character like a shadowstepping thief, a divine channeling guardian or a meteor showering ele.

As for my endgame (lol?) expectations, I have a heavy inclination towards WvW, though not sPvP, and I like to experience storylines so I could say that some PvE sprinkled in would be right proper.

TL,DR: I apologize, but won’t include a TLDR because though I appreciate your help, I’d rather receive feedback from someone who takes that time and care to fully understand my plea. If this means being ignored and possibly not getting a reply to this, then so be it, I still thank you for the intent.

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

A:

Base Tanks:
Warrior (max health + heavy armor)
Guardian (heavy armor + much healing)
Necromancer (max health)
Support/Utility:
Guardian
Warrior
Mystic feeling:
Guardian

I guess Guardian matches well when sorting out the above said way.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Elementalist.

They’re a caster but they have melee weapon choices (although all their melee weapons have some ranged skills too), they’re often considered one of the hardest professions to play because they require a lot of attunement swapping and therefore remembering 4 sets of weapon skills and because of that they can also switch quickly between effective support, healing and damage.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Myxo.7263

Myxo.7263

“characters that are hybrids” “emphasis in utility or support” “higher than average skill cap” “degree of mysticism” “more as melee than as caster” "endgame "

I would sugest give Mesmer a try … ^^

Posted by: doubleomar.2165

doubleomar.2165

Thank you for your input. I also posted this question over at the GW2 subreddit and the general consensus seemed to strongly suggest Guardian. What’s your opinion on that?