"Please consider changing your password..."

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mockingjay.8723

Mockingjay.8723

I just logged into my client and before I could hit “PLAY” that message was in red above the news box. What causes this message to pop up, should I be concerned?

Obviously I’m changing my password, but I’m just a bit concerned!

Posted by: TheUnNamedHero.4167

TheUnNamedHero.4167

Anet keeps a list of all the passwords that hackers try combining with email accounts to hack into the game and they prevent players from using those passwords. Most likely, your password has recently turned up on that list. As a rule of thumb, you should have a unique password for your e-mail and another for your game. You can use whatever you want for forum sites and other stuff, but those two need to be used for only one thing.

2012 Halloween Tower Champion
The Lost Shores should have stayed lost.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

In the coming weeks we’ll ramp up this call for players to change their passwords, and may require a password change for those users who haven’t already voluntarily changed their passwords.

EDIT: Oops, ninja’ed.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

I noticed it showed up for me after the PlaySpan hack (GW1 uses this for it’s cash shop), and I have a GW1 account linked to GW2 so I figured it was a precautionary measure by Anet to limit the potential damage.

It’s also good to change your password every so often, anyway.

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Akhet, there’s a update note from massively article saying GW and franchise wasn’t affected:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/10/security-breached-in-playspan-hack-multiple-games-affected/

Falunel’s post is likely the reason for it — meaning those who aren’t even at risk for being hacked are being asked to change passwords anyhow.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Ujest.6548

Ujest.6548

At the moment, I would not change the password. I did and am now locked out of the game. No verification email, old password does not work, forgot password link is empty, and yes the password is/was unique.

Well Anet?

Ujest Shurly-Elementalist Norn | Opun-Mesmer Asura | Psycosa-Necro Sylvari | Ujest-Guardian Human

Posted by: OrangeSbr.9374

OrangeSbr.9374

I would suggest posting in the Account Issues forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account

They’d certainly would be able to help you out there.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I got the same message and I have a unique password and haven’t had any login attempts from anyone but me, ever.

I assumed it was just a reminder that comes up every so often.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”