Please help picking a second class

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AtoBoss.2906

AtoBoss.2906

Hi, recently i finally decided to give up on my elementalist, despite trying all possible builds, gear, weapons and now want to go for a more straight forward class.
I was thinking a heavy class with build diversity hitting massive numbers (seriously after playing an ele you will feel the same), and of course that leaves me with warrior or guard.
Alot of threads are out there i know, but none seem to help me decide.
Do warriors still have a chance in pvp/wvwvw?
Do warriors have reasonable survival skills?
Do warriors have exceptional bunkers builds if needed?
And finally can a good warrior beat a good guardian?

Any comments are highly appreciated, thankyou.

Holycowow

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Hmm interesting. I changed my main to ele because it was more interesting and fun for me to play it and I honestly think that it can put out a great amount of DPS while still having enough healing/toughness to take hits. And I will admit eles are difficult to play but thats part of the beauty of playing them, and its fine if you dont think you can handle them.

Warriors from what I hear are considered the most boring class in the game for most people because its so easy to do a ton of damage. With axes you can just press 1, and with GS press 2, and that will get you through almost all PvE content. That being said the zerker warriors I PUG with dont really dodge or avoid damage so they really can die very easily. I’m not really sure about build diversity but for PvE I feel like most run similar builds.

WvW I know their natural tankiness makes them good for commanding and zerging. For spvp and havoc they honestly do lack. Mostly because their most viable build seems to be cooldown limited bursty stunlock builds that good players with stunbreaks can counter, and warriors tend to also end up as free kills for condition damage necros/engis and rangers. Without stunlock, your burst will be useless as unlike dungeon bosses players will actually move away from your 100blades.

I’m not sure about bunker viability, they don’t have the healing and boons for a guardian so anything they could do as a bunker would be outclassed, but they can outDPS guardians.

The last question, who knows? One versus One many factors come into account, but guardians will have enough invuln and healing to nullify a lot of the warriors burst, so I’d predict the guardian to win.

I’d also look into thief (no build diversity but big numbers and needs stealth in order to do anything) or ranger. My one ranger friend has a lot of DPS with sword/warhorn and shortbow with valk/zerker gear, but hes also really good so thats proably why.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: AtoBoss.2906

AtoBoss.2906

Hmm interesting. I changed my main to ele because it was more interesting and fun for me to play it and I honestly think that it can put out a great amount of DPS while still having enough healing/toughness to take hits. And I will admit eles are difficult to play but thats part of the beauty of playing them, and its fine if you dont think you can handle them.

Warriors from what I hear are considered the most boring class in the game for most people because its so easy to do a ton of damage. With axes you can just press 1, and with GS press 2, and that will get you through almost all PvE content. That being said the zerker warriors I PUG with dont really dodge or avoid damage so they really can die very easily. I’m not really sure about build diversity but for PvE I feel like most run similar builds.

WvW I know their natural tankiness makes them good for commanding and zerging. For spvp and havoc they honestly do lack. Mostly because their most viable build seems to be cooldown limited bursty stunlock builds that good players with stunbreaks can counter, and warriors tend to also end up as free kills for condition damage necros/engis and rangers. Without stunlock, your burst will be useless as unlike dungeon bosses players will actually move away from your 100blades.

I’m not sure about bunker viability, they don’t have the healing and boons for a guardian so anything they could do as a bunker would be outclassed, but they can outDPS guardians.

The last question, who knows? One versus One many factors come into account, but guardians will have enough invuln and healing to nullify a lot of the warriors burst, so I’d predict the guardian to win.

I’d also look into thief (no build diversity but big numbers and needs stealth in order to do anything) or ranger. My one ranger friend has a lot of DPS with sword/warhorn and shortbow with valk/zerker gear, but hes also really good so thats proably why.

Thanks for your reply, I guess ill simply have to level a warrior and see. And about eles, it sure is interesting with different combos and skills for every situation, but like everyone says, it is simply not worth it. Sure, I can stack 10+ might and hit up to 11k firegrabs and churning earth (strictly in PVE), but it always makes me sick how i know a warrior can do all that damage with one button.

Holycowow

Posted by: SpiritualAwakening.5347

SpiritualAwakening.5347

I like nearlights breakdown of things.

I find mesmer fun. I dunno about huge numbers. In a shatter build I crit pretty good but I dunno how that compares to any other class massive crits. I do have a guardian in the 60’s but thats not really a good comparison. I do enjoy leveling it though.

For build diversity on mesmer though, you can do a condition build, shatter build, phantasm build and/or some combo of. Lots of builds available out there.

I’ve really wanted to do warrior but always gave up at some point. I’m not sure its the class, I thinks its just that I’ve done all the starting areas so many times.

What I find about things in this game, and in life too – I read/learn about it, but my opinion or feeling about it doesn’t come until I’v experienced it. Whats that means in the game is spending a fair amount of time trying it out.

Best of luck to ya!

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Sounds like you’re leaning towards Warrior. So I’ll answer based on my experience.

1. Yes. There are gimmicky builds like the GS + M/Sh nearlight mentioned, which I hate, but there are plenty of others. I usually end up playing Havoc most of the time in WvW, and as long as we’re not outnumbered we usually do alright.
  2. Yes. But they can’t bunker like a Guardian because they lack the boons.
  3. Not sure. I’ve never really played that way on my Warrior, but there are some heavy cond/regen Warrior builds out there like Logi’s RRW.
  4. Depends on the build (of both players). Fighting a bunker Guardian can result in a stalemate, in which case you both just walk away because you can’t kill each other unless someone goes AFK.

I don’t know why, but it rubs me the wrong way when players go badmouthing a profession they have little to no practical experience in. Let the OP find out for themselves if Warrior is boring or not. Boring is after all subjective. I tried leveling an Ele a while back and found it tedious, but that’s my opinion, which sounds like it’s shared by the OP. The Warrior as a profession feels like a Warrior right from the start unlike other classes which don’t feel fleshed out until the 30s (like my Engineer). You won’t have all the tricks of your trade, but you’ll still feel like a Warrior.

GS + M/Sh is far from the most viable build in sPvP/Havoc. If you’re “blowing your load” only to miss your 100B because someone popped Stability, and just walked out of it that’s your problem. I much prefer builds that don’t require gimmicky setups like that. The biggest thing you have to worry about in sPvP/WvW is Blind spam.

I haven’t run any PvE content on my Warrior, but I have on other characters. It’s not hard if you have half a brain. The reason there are so few builds in PvE is that the min-maxers figured out that there are only a couple builds that significantly outdamage the others. If that’s what you’re trying to achieve then why not use that.