Precursor?

Precursor?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: herrooneoone.4012

herrooneoone.4012

how to get one… 630g for the legend on tp, am i best saving? gambling? crafting?

how did you do it? with what ever precursor you have!

Precursor?

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

I got myself a Howl. I gambled by doing CM and it popped out of a chest.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Precursor?

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

I would recommend just farming up the gold to buy it off of the TP. Theoretically, the expected value of how much money you would need to spend gambling on the mystic toilet might be lower than what it sells for on the TP giving an expected savings. However, getting one is not guaranteed no matter how many forges you do. And NOTHING is more disheartening in this game than throwing 500g worth of mats into the mystic forge and coming away with nothing.
I don’t have personal experience throwing away that much into the mystic forge on precursors, but it took me 18 tries and 13g (more than half of all my money at the time) to make my endless princess tonic and I was on the verge of manic depression by my 10th attempt.

Precursor?

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

They were much easier with gold making exploits, t/p opportunities and without loot issues when game launched, now it’s a more difficult and very dull process. I saw someone quoting precursors at 36g at tp post karka event, and now they are unreachable unless you’re lucky. Anet seems to be addressing it per this thread “Colin tidbits on February release”, I hope they do.

Precursor?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Nothing is wrong with precursor prices, it’s based on supply and demand.

If you really want a precursor, go and buy Venom – it’s relatively cheap.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Precursor?

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

I got “The Legend” last week, just a drop from a mob in cursed shore.
The best way to obtain him is to do events, save the gold … and buy it.

And if you are lucky, while farming, a precursor will just drop for you.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Precursor?

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Free markets do not work unless certain conditions are being met. One of them is neither supply nor demand being substantially influenced by any given party. ANet controls the supply of precursors, for that reason alone your assumption that the result of such a market would be optimal in any way is…flawed.

Tarnished Coast

Precursor?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Free markets do not work unless certain conditions are being met. One of them is neither supply nor demand being substantially influenced by any given party. ANet controls the supply of precursors, for that reason alone your assumption that the result of such a market would be optimal in any way is…flawed.

Thanks for this correction, you saved me the trouble. Any allusion to a free market such as citing “supply and demand” is just wrong. A game economy has many of the dynamics of a free market, but they are overshadowed by the fact that supply is determined by the developer.

Precursor?

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

No, it’s not a completely “free” market in the sense that Anet created this world.

However, in the context of this world, prices are indeed based on supply and demand. Players really like greatswords, daggers, and swords. So the prices of Dusk, Dawn, Zap, and Spark are muuuuuuuuuuuch higher than the price of the Speargun precursor, assuming same drop rates for everything. Heck, I bet more Dusk/Dawn/Zap/Sparks exist simply because who wastes Spearguns in the MF?

To completely dismiss supply and demand from this in-game economy is silly.

Precursor?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

No, it’s not a completely “free” market in the sense that Anet created this world.

However, in the context of this world, prices are indeed based on supply and demand. Players really like greatswords, daggers, and swords. So the prices of Dusk, Dawn, Zap, and Spark are muuuuuuuuuuuch higher than the price of the Speargun precursor, assuming same drop rates for everything. Heck, I bet more Dusk/Dawn/Zap/Sparks exist simply because who wastes Spearguns in the MF?

Exactly, take off those tinfoil hats and stop assuming anet has COMPLETE control of precursors in the game. The supply price is determined by the demand in which players believe is worth paying.

Precursor?

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Precursors market is not high enough to talk about market competition. May be it is true for T5 mats, for example, but not for precursors.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Precursor?

Posted by: azazil.9541

azazil.9541

Colin: There will be other legendaries in the future. Priority is resolving ways to get precursors, including the scavenger hunt 1/2

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Colin-tidbits-on-February-release/first

Precursor?

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Exactly, take off those tinfoil hats and stop assuming anet has COMPLETE control of precursors in the game. The supply price is determined by the demand in which players believe is worth paying.

ANet has absolute and total control over precursor prices. They can make them go to 1000s of gold per piece or make them go down to mere fractions of a silver with one click of a mouse. All they need to do is adjust the drop rate to any rate that makes the desired price happen.

Refer to any textbook about economics to understand why this is so.

Also, I love my tinfoil hat, thank you.

PS: To be scientifically correct, I should add that the maximum price they can ‘set’ the price to is the highest willingness to pay for a precursor occurring in all players in GW2, which is a number lesser or equal the wealth of the richest GW2 player. Sorry for being sloppy.

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kimyrielle.3826)

Precursor?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

It’s RNG from placing Golds and exotics in the mystic forge. I personally can’t wait for the scavenger hunt. until then, I’ll be working on the other parts that aren’t insane.

Just to be clear, I think most of the process is fine. It’s just the lodestone drop rate, precursor drop rate, and lack of story behind them.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Precursor?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Don’t buy, gamble forever and if you don’t get it just wait. Only way to lower the prices is to cut the demand.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Precursor?

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

ANet has absolute and total control over precursor prices. They can make them go to 1000s of gold per piece or make them go down to mere fractions of a silver with one click of a mouse. All they need to do is adjust the drop rate to any rate that makes the desired price happen.

PS: To be scientifically correct, I should add that the maximum price they can ‘set’ the price to is the highest willingness to pay for a precursor occurring in all players in GW2, which is a number lesser or equal the wealth of the richest GW2 player. Sorry for being sloppy.

To be fair the precursor market is controlled by a handful of people. They exploited early on and got hundreds of precursors and Anet didn’t do what any company should have done and removed them from the game. The scavenger hunt won’t even be release for 4-5 months at the earliest.

Precursor?

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

And to be fair – without exploiting you can buy your way into a chunk of TP domination too, you haven’t missed the window…

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Precursor?

Ursan.7846

There’s a difference between control and absolute control.

Anet has control over prices. But they do not have absolute control over the prices.

That is because Anet controls the supply, but not the demand.

Case in point: Dawn and Dusk. They have the (assuming) same drop rate. And yet Dusk is pricier than Dawn. Why? Because players, as a whole, desire Twilight more than Sunrise. So Dusk is valued more. An example of player’s thoughts and wants affecting prices.

Another example: Vials of powerful blood. Recently, due to players coming back to Orr and increased droprates, supply of it has actually increased. But prices increased also, because there is a higher demand for it.

While yes, you are correct in saying that Anet controls prices, it’s impossible for them to absolutely and precisely control prices. Because demand is something that they have no direct control over.

To be fair the precursor market is controlled by a handful of people.

Just your assumption. But if you were to read the BLT forums, you’d be able to read up on lots of information on why monopolies on precursors are very unlikely.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Precursor?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Just your assumption. But if you were to read the BLT forums, you’d be able to read up on lots of information on why monopolies on precursors are very unlikely.

i checked the price of zap for months and i won t buy the thing there is no speculation behind.

some players also proved how people have friends to put fake offers to increase the price.

200G to 500+G in 1 month without increasing in demand is not normal.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Precursor?

Ursan.7846

i checked the price of zap for months and i won t buy the thing there is no speculation behind.

some players also proved how people have friends to put fake offers to increase the price.

What do you mean “fake” offers?

Do you mean buy orders? If your “friend” wants to make a profit from flipping, why would he post artificially high buy orders and cut into his (almost nonexistent) margins?

Do you mean sell orders? How do you increase a price by just posting an artificially high sell order? If there’s any sell orders lower than yours, then your high sell order will never show up.

If you have no sell orders, of course it’s you would try to price it as high as you can. This is perfectly natural.

But how does this explain at all how “a few players” “control” the precursor market?

Also you don’t know what the demand is. Just as sell orders =/= supply, buy orders =/= demand. So you don’t know if the “demand” has increased or not.

By the way, just looking at spidy Zap has never hit 500G.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29181

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Precursor?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i m not that familiar to spidy but i personal saw zap for lot of times near 200G tag <,< yet it doesn t show it.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Precursor?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

I borrowed dosh from guildies and bought my Dawn off the TP.

Precursor?

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Do you mean buy orders? If your “friend” wants to make a profit from flipping, why would he post artificially high buy orders and cut into his (almost nonexistent) margins?

Do you mean sell orders? How do you increase a price by just posting an artificially high sell order? If there’s any sell orders lower than yours, then your high sell order will never show up.

If you have no sell orders, of course it’s you would try to price it as high as you can. This is perfectly natural.

But how does this explain at all how “a few players” “control” the precursor market?

Also you don’t know what the demand is. Just as sell orders =/= supply, buy orders =/= demand. So you don’t know if the “demand” has increased or not.

Basically, if had a high sum of gold like people who took advantage of the early trick/exploits with godskull weapons, snowflake ecto tricks etc etc, i could list say spark for 650g. Then turn around and either i post or a friend can post say a buy offer 600g. That way it gives the illusion that the “community” believes that the spark is worth 600-650g and making people believe that too.

As for a few people controlling, i’ve seen times where they would say no sparks on the TP, then in a day or 2, there would be 6 or 7 up. Same thing with other precursors that were set at say X price. The next day there would maybe 1 or 2, then a day later, be like 5 up all at about 50-100g higher. I don’t see how that many dropped in 1 day. Of course the really high priced one never come down or disappear. Watch the prices and availability on em for a couple months and you will notice this trend. Not a coincidence.

And true that you don’t know what the actual demand is for em but i guarantee you that not as many people as you think are willing or able to drop 600-700g on a precursor alone or would want to if they had that cash. An example is look at all the posts. There are pretty much the same 6 or 7 people who say precursors are fine and i bet most if not all of them got their precursors when they were cheap as hell like 35g-200g while there are ALOT more people who complain about the pricetag on em.

And finally gw2spidy is not 100% accurate. It has been stated in a few posts(you can search for em yourself) that not everything is updated on it. I believe even one of the devs/mods said gw2spidy isn;t completely accurate as well.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Precursor?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Basically, if had a high sum of gold like people who took advantage of the early trick/exploits with godskull weapons, snowflake ecto tricks etc etc, i could list say spark for 650g. Then turn around and either i post or a friend can post say a buy offer 600g. That way it gives the illusion that the “community” believes that the spark is worth 600-650g and making people believe that too.

As for a few people controlling, i’ve seen times where they would say no sparks on the TP, then in a day or 2, there would be 6 or 7 up. Same thing with other precursors that were set at say X price. The next day there would maybe 1 or 2, then a day later, be like 5 up all at about 50-100g higher. I don’t see how that many dropped in 1 day. Of course the really high priced one never come down or disappear. Watch the prices and availability on em for a couple months and you will notice this trend. Not a coincidence.

And true that you don’t know what the actual demand is for em but i guarantee you that not as many people as you think are willing or able to drop 600-700g on a precursor alone or would want to if they had that cash. An example is look at all the posts. There are pretty much the same 6 or 7 people who say precursors are fine and i bet most if not all of them got their precursors when they were cheap as hell like 35g-200g while there are ALOT more people who complain about the pricetag on em.

And finally gw2spidy is not 100% accurate. It has been stated in a few posts(you can search for em yourself) that not everything is updated on it. I believe even one of the devs/mods said gw2spidy isn;t completely accurate as well.

gw2spidy is inaccurate in the sense that it shows snapshots of the economy, say every hour. But the data is reliable.

Also, so what about those fake bids? What if someone sells their item to that buyer? They’re short 600g. Do they have another 600g to put another buy order? And another? That’s why it’s hard to manipulate, it’s just too expensive.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Precursor?

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

I just stuck 4 exotic rifles in the MF one time and bam i got the hunter. And decided to sell it as i used a large portion of the gold to buy gems and upgrade the hell out of my account.

Now i have 8 slots, 5 bank slots, and a extra bag slot for my main with 240 gold to spare.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Precursor?

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

For people low on funds, I say save up and buy it.

You don’t want to be in that situation where you save up hundreds of g over time and then come out of it with nothing with the MF.

Can you throw 300g in and come up with a precursor? Absolutely. Many people have. Think about how you’ll feel if it doesn’t work out though. It isn’t worth it.

Don’t be intimidated by precursors going up in price either. They’re driven by the mat prices of rares and exotics that are thrown into the forge to make them. If they’re going up in price, the stuff you’re selling from farming on the TP is giving you more coin than before too.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

Precursor?

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Ahem – ANet does have complete control over all aspects of it.

Precursor?

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Bought my dusk for 640G don’t waste your time with the toilet or I call it the slot machine…

vvuevv

Precursor?

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Well since the game doesn’t adequately reward you for playing it for any given amount of time…….I say quit while you’re ahead and you still have real money in your wallet, lest you be tempted by the gem store.

Of course you could just play the game your way and over time gather everything you need and you’ll have a legendary in a year, maybe two.

Nothing else will pull you away from the game before then, right?

Precursor?

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

The best way to get one is to buy 4 of the cheapest same type of exotic weapon on the TP level 76 to 80, craft them or buy them with dungeon tokens and flush them down the mystic toilet and hope you get lucky.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Precursor?

Sauzo.6821

gw2spidy is inaccurate in the sense that it shows snapshots of the economy, say every hour. But the data is reliable.

Also, so what about those fake bids? What if someone sells their item to that buyer? They’re short 600g. Do they have another 600g to put another buy order? And another? That’s why it’s hard to manipulate, it’s just too expensive.

I get where you’re coming from but the people who “control” most of the precursors are gonna have thousands of gold so 600g to them would be like say 50g to an active player. So if someone filled that buy order for 600g, they could just sit on that precursor for a couple weeks or a month and then list it for say 700g or more. Now they wouldn’t make a ton off it but they would make enough to make it worth their time and if they are doing for say 2-3 different types of precursors, it adds up. And if they got enough gold, sure throw another buy offer up of 600g. I mean how many people do you really think are selling precursors? And yes it’s expensive but like i said, if these people started a month or so after the game and used godskull weapons and snowflake ecto trick as well as a few i’m sure none of us heard of, that’s alot of time to amass quite a few precursors and going from 25g for em at the beginning to now almost 700g, even selling 2 of em would put you over 1k gold profit….now multiply that by 6 or 7 or 10 for those godskull guys since ANet didn’t punish those guys or take their ill gotten precursors away.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Precursor?

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

And to be fair – without exploiting you can buy your way into a chunk of TP domination too, you haven’t missed the window…

I don’t play MMOs to pretend I’m a market analyst; some might get their kicks that way, but I’m beginning to think it’s more trouble than it’s worth to have such a system in a game.

Precursor?

Sauzo.6821

To each their own but i agree, i play MMOs to kill mobs, do dungeons, raids and have fun with people, not to be an economist in a game

Am I legendary yet!?

Precursor?

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

I bought mine on the TP. Cost me 15g