Prioritizing Gem Store purchases

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hi,

I play lots of Alts, and like to make gold, and then convert that gold in Gems, for upgrades to my account. So, I want to prioritize my next Gem purchases and am hoping that you can help me decide.

I currently have 8 character slots, so don’t need any more right now. I’m using 7/8 currently.

I have purchased a Collection expander, so now I can stack up to 500 of all mats, which seem like enough. No need to go beyond that.

I also already have the Unlimited Salvage Kit.

So, what’s next.

The things that really interest me are:

Unbreakable Gathering Tools:

I presume these allow a character to never have to purchase any ever again. I can gather on one character, then put then in the bank and use them on the next character, right?

Shared slots:

This would be good for those gathering tools, correct. No need to put them in the bank then.

Nodes for Home instance:

I recently looked into my home instance, and being able to gather there would be great. I presume when you purchase one of these, it’s for one character only, right? Not for all your characters.

Bag Tab expansion:

I currently have 2 tabs and it’s almost full with all the stuff I keep that is non crafting. More slots would be nice.

Home Portal Stone:

This sounds very interesting. Especially once I have gathering in my home.

Black Lion Keys:

I have so many chests on all my characters, that I guess I should think about getting these eventually.

More character slots:

Eventually. Low priority. Let me get the current ones to 80 first.

So, what do you think? Anything vital I’m missing? I’m not interested in skins, or boosts or anything.

What do you think should be my highest priority?

Thanks.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

(edited by Lankybrit.4598)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would not purchase a Home Portal Stone. One of the passes would be better, such as the Royal Terrace Pass, etc. You can visit any Home Instance from there.

Nodes are for any character, but you can gather from the Guild Hall. I would only acquire those that do not cost Gems.

Unbreakable Gathering Tools are a great convenience.

You might want to upgrade your account before considering Black Lion Key purchases.

Some players enjoy an Outfit or two, for leveling characters. Gliders are pretty popular, as well.

My favorite account upgrades have been Unlimited Gathering Tools, Royal Terrace Pass, and Black Lion Keys (because I enjoy the possibility of something cool, though almost all, if not all, of my Key acquisitions have been with either in-game Gold, Map Completions, drops, or key runs).

It’s really just personal preference.

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are a gazillion ways you could proceed, so this is simply how I’d “upgrade” if I were starting a fresh account:

• Five (5) shared inventory slots. Include in them: Copper-Fed Salvage, Bank Access Express, and either tools (pick|sickle|axe) or ‘keys’, depending on your routine. Or, for fun, some tonics/toys
  • Infinite Tools: these have an additional convenience when combined with shared inventory — you don’t have to store “back up” tools in other slots, in effect saving you room and/or time.
  • Extra bank space. To reduce the amount of time you spend fiddling with inventory, it’s good to have 30-60 slots free in the bank. Getting rid of stuff helps with that, obviously, and having more slots makes that easier.
  • Bag Slot Expansion: I never used to think this worthwhile… until I bought some during a discount period. It’s so much easier to have the extra space.
  • Extra characters: I’ve never regretted having too many, since I park them at a JP chest at L21-33 (for silver doubloons), they can store stuff I use only once-per-year, and future birthday presents.

From your list, the only thing I’d never spend on would be BL Keys — unless you really like the thrill you get just before opening, they aren’t worth the cost.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh…I forgot. My other top-of-the-list would be Bank Tab expansions. I have 12 of the 13 (I think the limit is 13) possible. I would not want to have to deal with only 30 or 60 bank slots. Ugh.

Lankybrit.4598

Thanks all. I’m saving up for the Unlimited Tools first I think (I have lots of different levels of all the tools on multiple characters right now, and it’s a pain to manage them). They cost 2400 and I have 1838 currently. I’ll need to make about 200 more gold to get there. All in good time. Thanks for the advice.

Updated every Monday

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do be aware that Unlimited Tool Bundles are not always on offer. Sometimes, you must buy each tool separately, for a total cost of 3000 Gems.

Good luck.

Lankybrit.4598

Do be aware that Unlimited Tool Bundles are not always on offer. Sometimes, you must buy each tool separately, for a total cost of 3000 Gems.

Good luck.

Ahh, thanks for the tip.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I think that the set of Basic Unbreakable Gathering Tools (the set without special animations or effects) is always available at 2400. I’m pretty sure they’ve never been available as anything but a set.

As for prority: I’d second Illconcieved’s order.

Lankybrit.4598

Nodes are for any character, but you can gather from the Guild Hall. I would only acquire those that do not cost Gems.

I only have a personal guild with no upgrades just for the guild bank. So I guess the nodes for Home Instance will be of use to me.

Updated every Monday

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can join several, well, 5 Guilds at once. The larger Guilds would likely have some stage of the gathering nodes. Two of the 5 I belong to have nodes, and they are at different stages, so I can gather from both. It would be a lot less expensive than purchasing from the Gem Store.

You can also gather the nodes in WvW.

Good luck.

Lankybrit.4598

BTW: It looks like the Leather Rack is the best purchase in terms of gold output. I think I might get that first.

And I’m not interested in joining other guilds. I like playing casual by myself.

Updated every Monday

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As you wish, though, many of the larger Guilds don’t really require any participation.

If a purchased node is what you desire, by all means, acquire one. =)

Good luck.