Problems with skill points & fight for life

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: RankkaApina.3890

RankkaApina.3890

I’m quite a new player and was wondering about a couple of things. I’m not sure if there’s something I don’t know or if there’s bug or something, so I thought I’d ask here before bothering the support

1) somehow I don’t seem to get credit from skill points. I had no problem at first and now both my main and finally at lvl 11 alt are only getting skill points from leveling up. I read somewhere that you don’t get credit when the level of the skill point is too low compared to your level, but last time this was not the case with my lvl 12 asura and lvl 13 golem skill point. Am I doing something wrong, or what’s up?

2) I have issues when I’m fighting for my life. Lot of the times (especially with a mesmer) I totally loose the target and need to adjust the camera angle again to get it back. Which normally means I die. I’m playing with a mac, so this of course would be a possible reason, but does this happen normally? I hate loosing the fights when I just loose the target…

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Skillpoints.
There are many types of skillpoints. But for those where you have to fight one or more foes you need to deal a significant amount of damage. If you are lower level then others doing the skillpoint is might be hard to do enough damage. Just come back later. It is no shame to not have full map completion at level 15.

You can ‘tab’ through your possible targets. It also helps to call a target (dont know the mac key, but in windows it is ctrl+attackskill). After that you can press t again to focus back on that target if you loose it.

Also, it is good practise to fight with your hand on your mouse so you can steer and hold right button to adjust view.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

MR, I read the skill point problem as the OP is higher level than the skill point. So, just in case I am right, OP, please be assured that there is no problem with you getting skill points if you are a higher level than the area concerned. Some of my L80s are just now exploring the Caledon and Metrica starter areas for the first time and that includes gaining the skill points.

Is it all skill points or just some that are not working for you? Sorry if this is stating the obvious but some of the skill points require you to drink a potion or eat some food. Make certain you are doing that and not just collecting the goodies in your inventory. There is also one in Wayfarer’s that requires you to talk to the guy after you have fought him. I have nearly walked away from that one a few times.

If you are doing this and the skill point is still not completing, then something is wrong and I suggest you post in the Technical Forum or the Mac Forum for help.

(edited by Figlilly.3907)

RankkaApina.3890

The skill points: I get the blue marker, so it should be fine, I just don’t get a point to spend on anything. Also, I have the same problem with my main and alt and my alt is now doing the skill points I did with my main. My main skill point count in hero panel is like 50, but I’ve got to use under 20… And now I’m in areas that are my level, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Sometimes even doing harder ones like lvl 30 when I was 29.

Thanks for the fight tips, I’ll try the tapping!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The skill points: I get the blue marker, so it should be fine, I just don’t get a point to spend on anything. Also, I have the same problem with my main and alt and my alt is now doing the skill points I did with my main. My main skill point count in hero panel is like 50, but I’ve got to use under 20… And now I’m in areas that are my level, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Sometimes even doing harder ones like lvl 30 when I was 29.

Sounds like you might be misunderstanding something. Post a screenshot of your Skills and Traits window.

mercury ranique.2170

Sounds like you might be misunderstanding something. Post a screenshot of your Skills and Traits window.

Yip, I agree, it seems you are expecting the wrong thing from skillpoints.
When you earn a skillpoint (the icon turns from blue outlined to fully blue) you get a skillpoint in your skills and traits tab under (‘H’).

At level 50 you should have 45 skillpoints + all the skillpoints you earned in maps.
You might be mistaken in your count cause the first 5 levels dont reward skillpoints.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Also skillpoints don’t go to traits. They go to utility skills. If you have 50 in the panel, then you should be able to click on a skill in your skills window, confirm the purchase, and then you know it. You have to get 5 1-point skills before you can open the next tier, and so on.

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

the OP think skill points are traits. No. When you get a skill point, you will NOT get a trait. Trait points are only rewarded by leveling up.

^^

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en espaƱol / Spanish raiding guides

mercury ranique.2170

I think you are on to the solution.
OP. when you level up you get a traitpoint and a skillpoint. Traitpoints are used to unlock trait levels. skillpoints are used to unlock skills (and for end game rewards they can be used as currency). When you succesfully do a skillchallenge you only gain a skillpoint, but not a traitpoint.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Also, regarding losing your targets, turn off Right-Click to Attack/Interact.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

RankkaApina.3890

thanks for all the advice. yes, i got the skill points and traits mixed up… a guild buddy also pointed this out. well you live and learn. or in case of games you might die and learn, but learn anyway

mercury ranique.2170

glad it got settled. enjoy GW2