'Profession (Class?)' Synergy for a newb?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JamDust.8941

JamDust.8941

Q:

Hello their Guild Wars 2 forum goers. I played the game on release for a week, but stopped as friends had decided not to get into it. As they’re doing so now, I’ve decided to learn what I can before we start later tonight. Theirs three of us later, all starting new characters. As none of us are too knowledgeable on the subject, I was hoping someone can provide some advice on class synergy. What goes well together in PvP & PvE environments. Thanks!

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Uhm…basically everything works to some degree oO
Although I believe most people are really grateful to a guardian who knows what they are doing. Oh, and a mesmer for PvP and WvW.

Personally, I’d recommend you to just play what looks/feels fun to you, especially in the beginning. Open world PvE at least is really easy in a group no matter the setup

Polka will never die

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Though this is certainly not necessary, I found it quite pleasant when playing in small groups if there is at least one heavily armored character. This is by no means mandatory but while learning the core mechanics of the game, it might be easier if you do not all start lightly armored characters.

So my advice would be that at least one of you starts a guardian or a warrior but you will be fine anyway.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

Posted by: JamDust.8941

JamDust.8941

Alright, sounds about right. At the moment, it’s likely that we’ll have Thief/Mesmer/Ranger. Hit and run idea, as we’re all used to following the stealth archetype in games.

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

If that is what you are used to, it should work just fine. Plus the ranger’s pet should be able to hold some of the mobs while you finish them off!

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

Posted by: Tarroes.2987

Tarroes.2987

ive seen some awesome combos between an elementalist, thief, mesmer, engineer, warrior, guardian, ranger, and necromancer

you should pick one of those

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

maybe pick and choose some combo field/finishers that would seem interesting to you guys

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Start by checking your skills (well, once you’ve played around with weapons and such) for anything labelled as a combo field or combo finisher. Combos are one really easy way to start playing with synergy. It will depend what weapon sets you all use, but I’m certain you’ll be able to find some cool ones – basically use a finisher in any field, and get an added benefit.

For example if you thief lays down a darkness field, and your ranger shoots through it, the ranger’s arrows may inflict blindness in addition to their usual effects.

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Just roll 3 warriors.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: SlimGenre.6417

SlimGenre.6417

If you’re brand new to the game, I’d take either a ranged class or warrior to get a feel for the mechanics, ranger, war, guardian, necro. Play them to about lvl 20 so you’ve got a feel for the mechanics. After that, go with what looks cool.

First class for me was a ranger, took it to lvl 80 and haven’t touched it since. I’m an ele for life (bring on the nerfs, I can take it!!) and I love running a thief or mesmer in WvW cuz they faceroll people and nothings more fun that severely irritating someone over and over

What curuniel said about combo’s is spot on if you’re looking for synergy. Every class has them, ele’s have the most, but it’s a more complicated playstyle than ranger/war/guard etc.