Profession Confusion!

Profession Confusion!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: milanu.5607

milanu.5607

Hello everyone. I would like some help on choosing a profession to focus on. In all honesty I wanted to be a caster from day one, but I hear mixed opinions about the light armored professions in this game, and so I am at a loss on what to do. I wanted to be either an elementalist or a mesmer. As for what I would want to be able to do, I am mainly a PvE person. I have never done any kind of PvP and I probably wouldn’t wish to anytime soon. I would want to not be rejected from dungeons based on what profession I am, I don’t have to have the absolute highest DPS ever as long as I can do something that people actually need. I want to feel useful. I’ve never actually done a dungeon since I got this game, but I likely will sometime in the near future. Otherwise, I play alone a lot, without a group.

I have looked all over and haven’t really seen anything conclusive as to whether either of those professions are worth investing time into for just PvE. I don’t know who to believe, there are so many opinions out there. I would just “play what’s fun”, but I don’t think being rejected from or thrown out of a party over my profession is too much fun and sadly I have heard of that happening.

Thank you in advance.

Azullel – Engineer | Shadow Gypsies [SG] | Jade Quarry

Profession Confusion!

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

First and foremost, you won’t get thrown out of a party just for playing a certain profession. At least, no one in their right mind will do that. Doesn’t matter what you play, or what weapon set you use. So long as you get through the dungeon successfully, no one should care.

Second, every profession gets mixed reviews. Especially on the class forums. People go there specifically to complain. Just pick the class that best fits your desires and run with it. If, after trying for a while, you just can’t enjoy the class, or the game feels abnormally difficult, then take a break and try another profession.

Ultimately, if the class makes you happy, and you’re trying to play well, it doesn’t matter which profession you choose.

Profession Confusion!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Hi- I have a main Mesmer at 80 and an Ele at 58
both classes are really fun and I only PvE.
The thing is they can be played many different ways and they are very flexible so I can’t see you having a problem in dungeons.

In open world both classes can be played solo/ teams depending on your weapons and skills.
In my case my Mesmer is all about control so I hardly ever get hit, I happen to be quite tanky so I don’t mind if I do.

My Elementalist is very quick, high damage, high crit and really shouldn’t stand in fire, but when I switch weapons she is very tactical Aoe. it all depends on how you want to play and your weapons, skills, traits

Just carry a bunch of weapons options and know your class and you will be fine.
Mesmer and Ele are both great support and control too, so you will never have a problem in a dungeon.

Gunnar’s Hold

Profession Confusion!

Posted by: Noppy.1348

Noppy.1348

Milanu, both Pinder and Morrigan have told you enough about the professions, so no more from me.
But the thing about getting booted from groups because you are “the wrong” profession, well, that’s just a shame!
I would like you to check out the link in my signature. We at Operation Union are a friendly group of casual minded players that welcome all who stand for the same as we do. We will not kick you from a group/party or guild, just because you play a Mesmer, or an Ele, or just any other class. You are welcome and we like to help out and having fun all the way.
So check it out (but you don’t need to read all 28 pages ) and maybe you feel at home. Good luck and have fun!!