Profession choice for all around play?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Chris.9531

Chris.9531

I started playing when the game was first released but haven’t touched it in a few months. I am going to start playing again but I want to focus on one profession for all areas of the game, WvW, sPvP, PvE, and questing.

Out of Warriors, Elementalists, Thiefs, Guardians, and Engineers, which profession is useful and wanted by guilds in all aspects of the game?

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Useful and wanted for most areas would be warriors, guardians and possibly elementalists. It’s really hard to answer this question because different people have different playstyles, so it’s best to level up each profession you’re considering until about level 10 (and get your free black lion key in the process lol) and see how you like it.

But it depends since thieves are great in WvW and sPvP but not so great in PvE.

Engineers unfortunately aren’t really a highly desired profession, and I think it’s partly because not many people play them so they don’t know the full potential of what engineers bring to the game, but it doesn’t hurt to try them out regardless and see what you like.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I started playing when the game was first released but haven’t touched it in a few months. I am going to start playing again but I want to focus on one profession for all areas of the game, WvW, sPvP, PvE, and questing.

Out of Warriors, Elementalists, Thiefs, Guardians, and Engineers, which profession is useful and wanted by guilds in all aspects of the game?

Whisper me ingame and I’ll help you with choosing professions.
I play all 8 professions. =)

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Dungeons too, or not? Guilds take anyone, groups are picky.
Since you said wvw/spvp that eliminates warrior.
engi and ele’s are low on the dungeon list.
Bottom line I’d say guard or thief from your choices, and mesmer not on your list.
Dungeons I think are warriors, guardians, mesmers then [good] thieves. WvW they do well too apart from warrior. Open world each has a run boost though thief is perma speed. Overall, my pic is thief among the three (or four) for the do-it-all class.

However, the game isn’t all game mechanics, so one can be bad with a good class, or be good with a bad class.

Chris.9531

Useful and wanted for most areas would be warriors, guardians and possibly elementalists. It’s really hard to answer this question because different people have different playstyles, so it’s best to level up each profession you’re considering until about level 10 (and get your free black lion key in the process lol) and see how you like it.

But it depends since thieves are great in WvW and sPvP but not so great in PvE.

Engineers unfortunately aren’t really a highly desired profession, and I think it’s partly because not many people play them so they don’t know the full potential of what engineers bring to the game, but it doesn’t hurt to try them out regardless and see what you like.

I’ve played them all a few levels to try them out and enjoy them all. I’ve played Ele and Thief the most so far but only in hotjoin sPvP and while leveling up. Engineer is my least played. I’ve only tried it in sPvP but I feel like it’s a class I would need to level to get the hang of.

Chris.9531

Dungeons too, or not? Guilds take anyone, groups are picky.
Since you said wvw/spvp that eliminates warrior.
engi and ele’s are low on the dungeon list.
Bottom line I’d say guard or thief from your choices, and mesmer not on your list.
Dungeons I think are warriors, guardians, mesmers then [good] thieves. WvW they do well too apart from warrior. Open world each has a run boost though thief is perma speed. Overall, my pic is thief among the three (or four) for the do-it-all class.

However, the game isn’t all game mechanics, so one can be bad with a good class, or be good with a bad class.

Yeah, dungeons too. I should have went in to more specifics about how I want to play.

In PvE, I prefer to DPS or Tank (I know there’s no real roles). I would support if it was in an interesting way, or if the profession could be a mix of putting out damage on enemies while assisting allies.

In PvP, I like roaming, I like getting kills, but I like being durable. So professions that don’t have to build glass cannon to be effective in sPvP / WvW would be nice.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

In PvE, I prefer to DPS or Tank (I know there’s no real roles). I would support if it was in an interesting way, or if the profession could be a mix of putting out damage on enemies while assisting allies.

I guess you’ll be playing a Guardian then.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Yeah, dungeons too. I should have went in to more specifics about how I want to play.

In PvP, I like roaming, I like getting kills, but I like being durable. So professions that don’t have to build glass cannon to be effective in sPvP / WvW would be nice.

Yeah I don’t build glass cannons. I work out the best balance I can. So even my thief, it’s not down every minute It’s a d/d stealth thief and secondary short bow. Yeah, gotta spam the bow often, but when the daggers flip out it’s like art. Great EMT too, I can usually keep everyone up in most pve situations, though I can do that better with my guard but he’s usually stuck on the boss so it benefits melee’s more.

Thief in WvW is often pick your battle and avoid anything you don’t like, even roaming mobs of 30+ you pass right thru them and ditch over a hill or down a ledge. Though turn off commander so followers don’t blow your cover if scouting turn back on when you are ready to bring in others to take down that 30+ vader group you found.

Engineer is my least played. I’ve only tried it in sPvP but I feel like it’s a class I would need to level to get the hang of.

Engi was my first 80. Half leveled on WvW. I’ve since turned him into a grenadier, not bad at all for meta events and still quite good for defending keeps.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Out of those classes you listed, Guardian/Warriors are the best all round…